The rise of Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Glenn Hoddle at Monaco did pretty well to, winning Ligue 1 in his first season there under a certain Frenchman's tutelage.
Yeah Hoddle and Waddle did occur to me, but i put the cut off point in the 90s otherwise i would end up going all the way to John Charles at Juve.

Their success abroad was down pretty much to the fact they were very un-English, Hoddle esp would have been a nations God anywhere else, as it is he just ours.

Today there are very few British players that can exist abroad.

Dier's performances are, and I am well and truly guilty of thinking he'd be a woeful DM, a reminder that we are all mere speculators be it regarding our transfer targets or the training field.

I'm sure there were players who Poch would have considered but it is also he who so many of that impressive Southampton team attribute their current success (or playing for Liverpool - can they thank him for that?), so he is no mug in spotting talent, and drawing that talent out.

This is why I haven't been overly concerned by Davies not playing last season, I had a feeling it was more a case of adjustment for him less than lack of ability.

For the record, I seem to remember Walker being a success at Sampdoria, and home sickness led him back to England but could well be wrong.

Yeah Hoddle and Waddle did occur to me, but i put the cut off point in the 90s otherwise i would end up going all the way to John Charles at Juve.

Their success abroad was down pretty much to the fact they were very un-English, Hoddle esp would have been a nations God anywhere else, as it is he just ours.

Today there are very few British players that can exist abroad.

It's the ones that are willing to immerse themselves in the culture abroad. Steve McMananan was pretty successful at Real scoring that goal in the Champions League final as well as winning La Liga.

Bale to a certain extent has been successful, even though a lot of the Madridista's look down upon him.

Great article though Bardi and I completely agree with you about Dier's European football education allowing him to be more tactically flexible.

Good article but being a bit picky - did gazza and ince really fail? other than some racial abuse off the fans - Ince did well while he was out there. think they won either the league or in europe
Gazza was hugely popular but lacked fitness and probably a bit of discipline - but the team was generally successful so I wouldn't necessarily say he failed -

Dier has cemented his place in defensive midfield. We also have Bentaleb who is not as good and Mason who is more of a box to box player. Ali was tremendous against Palace as a box to box player. Now we need to get rid of Dembele and get someone like Wanyama in. Our options would be awesome.

The 80s were good though, Blissett, Brady, Cowans, Elliot, Francis, Hateley, Jordan, Souness, Wilkins.....Rush...
Blissett was a disaster, he actually became a cult figure because he was so bad. I think there is even an ultra or fan club named after him.

Brady was decent. Wilkins i am informed was ok. Rush a disaster, the rest i dont really know, they were anyway too far back for me to consider.

It's the ones that are willing to immerse themselves in the culture abroad. Steve McMananan was pretty successful at Real scoring that goal in the Champions League final as well as winning La Liga.

Bale to a certain extent has been successful, even though a lot of the Madridista's look down upon him.

Great article though Bardi and I completely agree with you about Dier's European football education allowing him to be more tactically flexible.
Good shout on McManaman. He was definitely a player who took on board the change of culture, English/British people sometimes expect the world outside of England to bend towards them rather than imbed themselves within it

of course this does happen the other way round as well. Certain foreign players fail to adapt when they come here.

The classic example was Jimmy Greaves, he had a horrible time there, yet still managed 9 goals in 12 games.
They also had to nail shut his hotel windows so the crowd outside the hotel couldn't see him drinking. (i think i have remembered this correctly)

Good shout on McManaman. He was definitely a player who took on board the change of culture, English/British people sometimes expect the world outside of England to bend towards them rather than imbed themselves within it

of course this does happen the other way round as well. Certain foreign players fail to adapt when they come here.

Classic example being both Ian Rush at Juve (they all eat pasta in Italy!??!), Michael Owen at Madrid, never left his hotel, only read The Sun etc....

If a player is going to move abroad try and adapt to the way of life and you'll settle far quicker.

You are right about the players that come to the PL, the ones that are successful are arguably the ones that can speak the language and are used to the cold northern European climate, so the likes of Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld settled in far quicker than say Soldado, Lamela and Paulinho.

Blissett was a disaster, he actually became a cult figure because he was so bad. I think there is even an ultra or fan club named after him.

Brady was decent. Wilkins i am informed was ok. Rush a disaster, the rest i dont really know, they were anyway too far back for me to consider.

There is, I'm sure, a Luther Blissett fan club that was started by Milan fans as he is a cult hero. The story is that Milan signed him instead of Barnes by mistake.

edit: brief but of 'research' Did AC Milan sign Luther Blissett by mistake?

Classic example being both Ian Rush at Juve (they all eat pasta in Italy!??!), Michael Owen at Madrid, never left his hotel, only read The Sun etc....

If a player is going to move abroad try and adapt to the way of life and you'll settle far quicker.

You are right about the players that come to the PL, the ones that are successful are arguably the ones that can speak the language and are used to the cold northern European climate, so the likes of Eriksen, Vertonghen and Alderweireld settled in far quicker than say Soldado, Lamela and Paulinho.

What has helped with the Belgians and Eriksen is when they moved to Spurs they were already performing regularly for a number of years already at foreign clubs, Ajax, Atleti/Southampton etc.

Soldado has one style of play and he was unable to adapt on the pitch, he seemed fine off it (according to Instagram)

Lamela is a special case altogether. I have stopped making judgements on him.

Dier has been brilliant. I think he shows a maturity well beyond his age.

Surely Poch deserves some credit for showing faith and identifying that he could do the job there.

God knows he was getting slated by the usual suspects when we were playing him there in pre season.

Highlights perfectly that we don't see these players day in day out so we should never assume to have a better informed opinion than the man that does!

Back
Top Bottom