The Race for the Title

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We're becoming very hard to beat under Conte. If we can't win playing beautifully, then just win. We managed that today.

Big 6 teams performances from this season and last so far:

Spurs +7
Woolwich +3
Man City +2
Chelsea +1
Liverpool -4
Man United -6

Updated with todays fixtures:

Chelsea now at -2

And just because it's funny:

West Ham -5

Woolwich's schedule thru august and september is very easy just man u in september but while we will have played chelsea man u and city already and in october we are there first game with city and pool next after its gonna be interesting

We can still win this.

giphy.gif

Unless we’re 4 points clear with 1 game to go, I don’t want to hear any shit about us being in the title race.

Our performances against Chelsea and Wolves suggest that we’ve got an awful lot of work to do.

So everyone's just gonna go along with the title of this thread then like you can't see it, I see you TFC ya'll think you're slick :sonpoint:

Most likely Man. City again.

A domestic cup and top four again would be an excellent season for us, title talk all a bit silly. An exciting run in the CL would be very welcome as well.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs - With which part do you disagree exactly? 👍

Last edited:
So, 3 games in to the season (other than for ManU/ Liverpool) and how are things shaping up ?

ManCity - Possibly not as strong as last season despite Haaland joining them , as seen today v Newcastle. But wouldn't bet against them

Liverpool - Already dropped 4 points against mid table teams. Redemption v ManU on Monday, but even that only takes them up to 5 points from current 2 points, Maybe we can hope that their transfer moves such as selling Mane has weakened them - too early to tell but worth seeing what they do over next month or so.

Chelsea - Lost their 2 first choice CB's this summer and despite spending circa £170m look weaker than last season - but raising their game against us sadly.. Still seem to have lots of money to spend and transfer market still open, so just need to watch what they do, and whether they improve over the next month or so.

Woolwich - Have definitely strengthened with likes of Jesus, but they have a very easy run of games for first 2 months of season so difficult to tell.

Man U - Looks very much if wheels are off the wagon. Key game v Liverpool on Monday to see if they can get their first point of the season. Despite probably highest revenues in PL club hasn't bought players well for years, owners treating club as an ATM .... and wits difficult to see them buying themselves out of trouble this window. Probably out of top 4 this season, and even out of top 6.

Newcastle - I thought it would take them a couple of windows to challenge for top 6, but Howe is doing very well in getting players to play in his system and they have bought well. Potential problem for them is that their squad is very thin - so with game frequency this season they may fall away. Or may not

After those teams, Leeds could do well, but again their squad is thin so even top 6 could be pushing it. Leicester seem out of sorts having only replaced their GK this summer and other clubs will occupy positions below 6th.

Spurs - Strengthened at least 2 first team places with Perisic and Bissouma, and a lot stronger bench than ;last season, particularly bringing in Richarlison as cover for Kane and Son, only losing two players who featured in 2nd half of the season (Reguion and Bergwijn). Will also have a full season of Kulusevski and Bentancur who improved our team a lot in 2nd half of season. Would be nice to get another player or two in the last 10 days of the window, but not totally essential if we don't lose the likes of Gil and Tanganga without replacement.

Having improved the first team who finished 4th last season, and with a bench with real options on it, we are very well placed to repeat a top 4 position - I think it likely we will finish closer to ManCity and Liverpool than last season, and both Liverpool and Chelsea are vulnerable.

Too early to right off other teams, but we certainly shouldn't fear them.

Looks like it will be all hands on deck to stay in the top four so that and a cup would be fine . Things should settle down after about ten games and each have played a couple of top middle and bottom teams firstly beat Forest and then on to the next .

Most likely Man. City again.

A domestic cup and top four again would be an excellent season for us, title talk all a bit silly. An exciting run in the CL would be very welcome as well.

SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs - With which part do you disagree exactly? 👍
1. You'e edited your whole post - so where to start??
2. If you edit a post and tag someone, they don't get a notification.

Only seen this as I'm scrolling through the thread. Anyway, the post I disagreed with is gone.

1. You'e edited your whole post - so where to start??
2. If you edit a post and tag someone, they don't get a notification.

Only seen this as I'm scrolling through the thread. Anyway, the post I disagreed with is gone.
Absolutely not, I only added the 'An exciting run in the CL would be very welcome as well' part later, didn't delete anything.

Unless we’re 4 points clear with 1 game to go, I don’t want to hear any shit about us being in the title race.

Our performances against Chelsea and Wolves suggest that we’ve got an awful lot of work to do.
we do, but just imagine what we will be like when we are in top gear. still a bit of gelling to do regarding new players. i think lenglet is going to be an important player for us especially in the games the other team are sitting deep and forcing us to break them down.

we do need the performances to turn now though, we need to really give forest a proper battering. itstimefor conte to start some new blood to give us a spike.

Back
Top Bottom