The race for second place.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Am I missing something? On the Newcastle game thread someone just said the game is a must win. But a win and a draw would put us on 76 which is what Chelsea will finish on if they win both games. Or do you think they might make up the GD? I suppose it's possible against Huddersfield and Newcastle (Indeed we made up 12 in the last two games of last season didn't we?).
If we had drawn against Brom then we would have needed 3 points to be sure (I don't see chelsea making up GD). We lost so now that means we need a win and draw. So we can't lose a game now whereas we probably could have lost a game in the remaining 2 games had we drew to WBA.

Last edited:
I called this months ago

Also Leicester at home last game. They will be rubbing their thighs in anticipation of spoiling our party once again. Need to have top four secured by then.

Lets just pray it doesn't come down to needing a win at home against Leicester on the last day

I cant seem to avoid the possibility that we will need to beat Leicester on the last day of the season to get top four.

980x.gif

Newcastle and Leicester may have retired to the beach for everyone else but i guarantee Rat Face will suddenly be bang up for it again if it means they can spoil our party (no vodka, no charlie).

If we had drawn against Brom then we would have needed 3 points to be sure (I don't see chelsea making up GD). We lost so now that means we need a win and draw. So we can't lose a game now whereas we probably could have lost a game in the remaining 2 games had we drew to WBA.
That's exactly why it was so important to take a point from the WBA game and be 3 points in front of Chelsea. We went from needing to win just one game from the remaining two to needing points from both. So, so fucking Spursy.

That's exactly why it was so important to take a point from the WBA game and be 3 points in front of Chelsea. We went from needing to win just one game from the remaining two to needing points from both. So, so fucking Spursy.
Exactly.

When Llorente came on to replace Vertonghen I was thinking "why the fuck are we doing that for?". It literally made No sense at all.

Does it really make a difference? We could afford to lose one game out of the last 3 and we lost one. So situation is the same as before. We've got two home games and it's in our hands.

Does it really make a difference? We could afford to lose one game out of the last 3 and we lost one. So situation is the same as before. We've got two home games and it's in our hands.
Maths has never been my strongest suit, but even I can figure out that it did make a difference. One point from WBA and we could afford to lose one of the remaining two (even if Chelsea win both their matches.) Now we have to win a game AND take at least a point from the other. That makes a huge difference.

The Result of the WBA game was almost as predictable as the Woolwich result on Thursday.

The narrative was so pre-written it was like an issue of Roy of the Rovers.

Albion being our bogey team of late with a plucky caretaker manager at the reins,11 men behind the ball, 25% possession, 91st minute winner from an ex player.

The match report writes itself.

I had the misfortune of listening on Talksport 2 and the 1970's relic they wheeled out to commentate could barely contain his disdain for our coach daring to even turn up and attempt to sour WBA's glorious story of last gasp survival against all odds.

It was like the Leicester title winning season all over again.

Huddersfield repeating their feat at City would be lovely...all we would need is 2 points.

Southampton winning puts them in trouble such that Huddersfield could really do with getting something against Chelsea. They don't want to leave it till the last day of the season, lose while Swansea win and end up going down on goal difference. Bear in mind that Hudersfield's last game is Wenger's final game in charge of Woolwich, so a horrendous fixture for them. If they don't get at least a point against Chelsea I think they will go down. Swansea by the way play relegated Stoke in their last game.

Yes.
Answer is Yes.

If you are playing Russian roulette with gun that has 3 slots for bullets, out of which 2 are filled and 1 is empty. After you "win" the first round by having empty click, then after that you will blow your brains out with certainty of 99% (1% being gun jamming).

So 2 main take-aways -
1) learn not to play Russian roulette
2) if you for whatever reason do it, learn to calculate the probabilities and their implications :D

Yes.
Answer is Yes.

If you are playing Russian roulette with gun that has 3 slots for bullets, out of which 2 are filled and 1 is empty. After you "win" the first round by having empty click, then after that you will blow your brains out with certainty of 99% (1% being gun jamming).

So 2 main take-aways -
1) learn not to play Russian roulette
2) if you for whatever reason do it, learn to calculate the probabilities and their implications :D

There's a major difference here:

Russian roulette is a game of probability where the odds of survival change, depending upon the previous shot - football is not, it's two teams facing each other, each with the possibility to win, lose or draw a match.

It doesn't matter from which of the 3 matches we get the points, as long as we get them. Just because we lost that game, does not make it more or less likely that we will lose the next two games. Whereas with your comparison if you have 2 bullets in 3 holes, then it is suddenly much more likely that you will die once you've got lucky once.

When you flip a coin, the probability of heads is always 50% - if you flip the coin 100 times and 100 times get heads, the likelihood that it will be heads on the 101st attempt is still 50-50.

Last edited:
I can't believe some our fans are relying on Huddersfield to get a result against cheski!
We have newcastle and leicester not real and barca. Both home
Get the job DONE no excuse what so ever.
Plus there is £2m more club prize money finishing 3rd over 4th.

Last edited:
There's a major difference here:

Russian roulette is a game of probability with two fixed possibilities - football is not.

Edit: It doesn't matter from which of the 3 matches we get the points, as long as we get them. Just because we lost that game, does not make it more or less likely that we will lose the next two games. Whereas with your comparison if you have 2 bullets in 3 holes, then it is suddenly much more likely that you will die once you've got lucky once.

When you flip a coin, the probability of heads is always 50% - if you flip the coin 100 times and 100 times get heads, the likelihood that it will be heads on the 101st attempt is still 50-50.

What?

The point is (maybe it was not well enough outlined in previous post) - we had margin for error before. We used it already and now the pressure is higher because we do not have any more margin of error (or safety buffer, how ever you call it). So the situation has changed by now, as we are somewhat back-against-the-wall.

Back
Top Bottom