THE MIGHTY SPURS VS WBA

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

bill_nicholson_quotes_by_hamzahzein-d8dm2se.jpg

Honestly I would rather disappointment tonight than last day of season where there would have been tears and heart attacks as Fabregas and friends let Leicester walk past them, that would have been pure cruelty

I have nothing but excitement for the team and can't wait to fly back and show my appreciation at the next home game, 10 years of greatness awaits

Can't wait to see how Leicester gets broken apart, the sequel of their Hollywood Movie will be so much fun

COME ON YOU SPURS!!!

That is exactly how I see it..to lose the title with Chelsea players and fans gloating for the next 10 years would have hurt so much more..
They are gutted they can't be credited for stopped my us win the league..

Look, this has been the best season most of us can remember. The players and everyone involved in the club can be nothing but proud.
This team will learn a lot from this season and come back even stronger. Never in my lifetime as Spurs fan have I witnessed a brighter future..

Title was lost a month ago at West Ham and Woolwich then Liverpool. This is academic.
we left ourselves way too much to do. even if we had won today.
we never really got that close to Leicester or put any real pressure on them.

2nd will be amazing. it will be still tough to get. Chelsea away will be tough & saints are much better than WBA.
but I am confident of us sealing the runners up spot.
Just need to regroup & not get too down about it all.
In our heads we are all making out we were a lot closer to winning the title.

its a strange one. we will probably almost always finish ahead of Leicester for the rest of our lives.
but they will have experienced winning a title. whereas we most likely won't ever know what its like.
common sense tells you its much better to be in our position rather than a 1 season wonder.

BEST team & season in my lifetime so far.
We have a very likable group with a bright future.

Last edited:
Don't look downwards fellas we will get there

If that was fucking Leicester all 3 of the shots that hit the post would have gone in, one of those games where nothing went in and then the equaliser seemed to rattle us a bit

Lets fuck up Chelsea good and proper

Spurs v West Brom Preview

It’s getting a little difficult for me to find the motivation for examining this upcoming game from an analytical stand point. It’s much more tempting to take a more poetic and rhetorical angle on our current situation in the style of Spooky's excellent recent piece "Serenading Spurs".

Maybe it’s the brain mushing intensity of the title race getting to me. Maybe it’s the unimpressive negativity of the opposition ahead. Or maybe it’s a growing acceptance that Spurs are now at a level way above the four teams we have left to face that we needn’t be so mindful of them. That we are now in a position where my preview can be summed up in “We’ll play our game, it’ll be great and we’ll win”. Okay maybe not quite so brief:

In recent games against Stoke and Liverpool we played a shape much closer to it is on paper. Eriksen high and on the left. Alli central but still a midfielder. Dier and Dembele tied together and both equal distance between defence and attack. I think that’s because in both games we played very directly, somewhat counter attack, and for that needed well defined defensive roles that allowed us to create two banks of four.

The idea that Spurs would simultaneously have less of the ball than Stoke and win emphatically is laughable when taken from the perspective of the last 5 years.

A large part of that is because Stoke are still tied to the reputation they garnered underTony Pulis. Well now Pulis is now at West Brom and while he hasn’t turned them into the Stoke team he had he is trying to.

They will set up deep and narrow with the intention of frustrating us. They will attempt to impose theirselves on us physically. They will attempt to nick one on the counter by utilising the individual talents of Sessegnon and transfer target Berahino. And they will hope that target man Rondon will cause us problems. But I’m fairly confident they won’t. Not least because, for once, the opposition had to play on a Thursday night and we are the team with the full week’s rest/training. This confidence still feels so unnatural but it’s not undeserved.

Against Liverpool and Stoke I wrote out our line-ups in the 433/3421ish shape that Pochettino has gradually moved us to throughout the season and I was wrong. But I’m doubling down. West Brom will sit back and invite us forward and so Pochettino will likely instruct Alli and Lamela to operate almost as forwards with Eriksen coming deep into the space to dictate our play.

screen-shot-2016-04-22-at-16-22-58.png

Expect errors in my West Brom line-up. Rotation across a packed schedule and an uncertain XI makes guessing them a challenge.

In Spurs team news Clinton N’Jie is fit. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and some Spurs fans are becoming very excited by the return of a winger who, although very promising and exciting, has produced fairly little so far and as Pochettino put it “there are other players in front of him” in the squad. N’Jie’s Lennon-esque pace off the bench could prove worthwhile between now and the end of the season but I doubt that will be the case against Pulis’ West Brom.

Coize

I mainly agree with you 1882 - it just irritates me when people say "GD is worth a point" ... its not
Doesn't stop people saying it though!
I suppose it's like saying the Crowd is like the 12th man... technically, we're not...

a) Because it would breach FA regulations by fielding an ineligible player(s) when the rules clearly state a team can field only 11, not 12 players ...
and
b) there are thousands of us, so we would technically be the 36,012th man! It would be carnage... 36,000 people running around a 112 x 80'something yard rectangle... it would be like the Eaton Wall Game!

I rest my case m'lud!

Haven't looked at anything but the TV for the last 45 minutes. Absolutely in love with that team. Next level stuff we're demonstrating.

Comes in here. People are complaining?! What the fuck is wrong with you guys?

Love that Stoke vs Spurs thread on foxes talk lol. You guys been bantering them there?

NLtjzjj.png

On topic, if we play like we did last night, it should be another comfortable win. Just hope no players pickup a knock.

I would love to play Leicester in the form we are in at the moment. I reckon we'd stick 3 past them easily. We are the team no-one in the league wants to play.

If we play like we did last night, we'll win. West Brom won't attack like Stoke tried to, but they do have a game Thursday night which could take some ware on them.

Our starting 11 now is working like a well oiled machine. Everyone is working for each other, they all move around the pitch making space and all work hard to win the ball back. Kane is in the form of his life, Alli is the best young player in the world at the moment and we have a solid midfield and defence.

I don't think it'll be another 3-0, but I think we'll win comfortably.
You do realize anything less than 4-0 for us is nail biting...

these Monday night kick-offs are messing with me, wishing away the weekends and actually looking forward to Mondays! Cannot wait to be in Block 35 come 8pm on Monday!!

The problem for me is that this is just typical Spurs, not new Tottenham, but Typical "let's allow the world to laugh at us again" Tottenham. It's West Brom @ home and we come up short in the one of the biggest games we have had, there is simply no comfort.

Then realise that we are not guaranteed Champions league, we are not safe from the scum and we have Chelsea next without Dier & likely Ali.....all of a sudden a clogger like Craig fucking Dawson has spun everything on its head. I am less fucked off about the league than I am looking down and realising that "holy shit" this could still go badly badly wrong, when it should have been over ! Got to get 4 points from 9, but anyone see an issue with winning at Chelsea or away to a revitalized and desperate Newcastle, or which team would love to stick it to Poch most ? Oh ok play them at Home !

As for why we came up short. Well to be fair, 1 striker is likely to be the short answer, so many draws suggests a lack of cutting edge, despite stats.
Anyone laughing at Spurs' achievements this season is a complete cunt and not worth wasting ur time worrying about.

We've won 9 of our lay 12 matches in this run in and no other fucker in the league has come close to challenging Leicesters lucky season so what have they got to laugh about?

It's frustrating beyond belief that it's ended on a game like last night but considering the leagues going to be won by a team playing exactly the same way it's like it's just written.

What's annoyed me most (as I probably never really thought we'd have the luck to catch them) is last night was a massive 3pts in the securing top 4 and practically wrapping up 2nd or 3rd. I just hope our boys get over the disappointment quick enough to fire on all cillenders against the chavs.

I think the way the rest of the league and media have treated us in this title run has been pretty disgusting and I hope we take some of that as fuel for the last few games/into next season.

[

This is one of the most ridiculous posts on any forum I have ever seen in the world. Getting the most points means you deserve to win. Points are earned not handed out. You know you don't get points for passes at the start of the season? Leicester deserve it. By any possible metric you have deserved it? What about the metric passes to goals scored ratio. Leicester smashed spurs on that one, and it is equally as pointless as all the metrics you have quoted. You have splashed loads of cash - do you remember Gareth Bale money? Lots of clubs have a positive net spend. Woolwich only bought a keeper in for free in the summer. Villa never spend any money. Having a positive net spend doesn't mean spending no money - it is called net spend because it is not gross spend. Your best paid players earn the same as Leicester's best paid players...therefore silly point. Most people would accept the CL as the hardest competition to combine with a successful premier league run. But nice making stuff up. Really good point about Leicester losing 6 out of the 35 first rounds. That is really good observation and doesn't at all sound like the sourest grapes. the majority of players coming to the club as unfinished articles? Leicester made Kane. MK made Alli. Lisbon made Dier. I will give you Ryan Mason. And you did your best to ruin Lamela. What is high ambitions football? It sounds very ambitious I am intrigued. There is nothing bad about not having a lot of passes go astray. Most neutrals would say that Leicester have been the most exciting team to watch, with pace, skill, determination. Counter attacking is a beautiful system to watch when it is done correctly. Cool double training sessions. Don't Leicester go out for pizza every clean sheet. I think you need to work harder.

Spurs dive as well bro. Lamela tried one the other night. Nice spectacles.

You weren't the fairytale bro and yeah no one wanted Spurs to win. Not because Spurs didn't play good football - they did. Not because they haven't achieved anything good - you have. But because your fans are the worst group of fans to follow a club in the world. And the whole of England does not want to see you win.
Cunt.

I've never been so confident of us winning a football match. When we played them last time we were fighting on various fronts.

The quality of our play has improved massively since it's just been the prem to concentrate on.

I think WBA will suffer a fucking good tonking Monday night.

Back
Top Bottom