The lowest of the lows

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rosie47

Papering over the cracks
Not since the inception of this esteemed forum, arguably, has there been such an apparent downward slide in mood and morale. Perhaps this is due to higher subscription levels and therefore more posters expressing their opinions. I am of the opinion that once you hit the bottom, then the only way is up (baby, for you and me).

North London is Red. :disdain:

That's according to a new book about London by geographer Dr James Cheshire and Oliver Ulberti called London: the Information Capital, featured by the BBC on their website.

In it there is an infographic depicting London's football clubs by popularity on Twitter for the 2013/14 season.

Each square represents 500m x 500m - and its colour indicates the football club with the most-tweeted hashtag in that area. The BBC states that "North London is dominated by Woolwich, with tweets from rivals Spurs in light blue - and West Ham in purple - struggling to be seen." I must be colour-blind.

_78781579_976thefootballtribesb.jpg

_78781578_976thefootballtribesa.jpg

_78781651_976thefootballtribesd.jpg

This "interesting" infocrapic (sic.) certainly does show a predominantly red motif for the North London area, but I question whether this is really properly indicative of how the battle for North London is going? I know of at least one person on this forum with the experience, tools and the resources to challenge the notion and give us the right spin on what is the actual clear and apparent truth.

North London is Lilywhite.:coys:

(OT: The article also shows an infocrapic which suggests that the largest concentration of separated and divorced couples lies in... Tottenham.) :eek:

Last edited:
I'm afraid I can't take anything that uses Twitter as fact seriously.

I don't know anyone who uses Twitter, at least not as a football tool, and most of them are Tottenham supporters.

I dislike Twitter a lot.

You guys think the quality of information is dependant on the platform used to post it? :lennon:

Would you think differently of the info if the same person posted the same info on LinkedIN, perhaps? Because you know he can, right??

The data is what the data is, you can't change it without changing it. The information you gleam from the data, and its qualitative features, is about how the data is analysed and interpreted. The data shows that Twitter tweets using the Tottenham hashtag is less predominant than the hashtag used by that other lot, in 500sqm areas around North London. But is it the #thfc tag that's being looked at alone? Or is it #coys or a combination of the two? Does this mean that there are fewer Spurs than Gooners on twitter? Or does it mean that gooners excrete every tweet with their hashtag splatted on it? How are the 500sqm defined and analysed? How do you see which grid square a tweet belongs in? What does the map look like if we shift the grid 250m in any direction?

Lots of questions and more, the quality of the answers that are provided as information is what you make of it.

You guys think the quality of information is dependant on the platform used to post it? :lennon:

Would you think differently of the info if the same person posted the same info on LinkedIN, perhaps? Because you know he can, right??

Nope. I think, as with anything similar to this i.e polls - it doesn't really mean anything as one person could tweet 3000 times a day and add the hashtag at the end each time, meanwhile twenty Spurs fans decide to go to the cinema instead of going on Twitter.

I have no idea which film is on but this is my way of asking if 19 of you want to go to the Holloway Odeon.

Makes no sense to represent support by number of hashtags used...

If Chelsea played an awful game against whatever team, Twitter would quickly fill with tweets saying "#Chelsea are shit" for example. If 10,000 people tweeted "Wow, can't believe Sanchez has joined #Woolwich" - that doesn't make those 10,000 people Woolwich supporters.

Who gives a fuck about how many hashtags a club gets......

It's all about how many facebook likes they have!!!!
:vdvdive:

...and this is precisely my problem with modern football... it's all viewed in the 3rd person now, via fucking Sky ticker-straps #hashtags and Like me Like me pages...
The only people AT the game are only there to boo it seems!

North London is not the colour I wanted it to be....

Although all this means is the goons spend all their time on twitter instead of actually watching the game.

_78781578_976thefootballtribesa.jpg

_78781651_976thefootballtribesd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom