The last ten years

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's been a bit of talk amongst other sets of supporters about 2005 (Chelsea's first title in 50 years, Liverpool's Istanbul heroics) and I thought it was interesting looking back on our last ten years as a club.

There's often quite a bit of doom and gloom among our supporters, I think there's usually quite a bit of criticism of Spurs from the outside as serial bottlers too but has it been that bad a ten years?

For someone a bit younger I have some awful memories of us growing up, particularly through the 90's.

To give it some context I was born in 88 so gives a rough outline of the period of time I can really remember. The 91 FA Cup was too early for me and the highest league finishes in my lifetime up until the start of this ten year period (05/06 - 14/15) were 88/89 (6th) and 89/90 (3rd).
So lets have a look at the last ten years!

05/06: 5th
06/07: 5th
07/08: 11th
08/09: 8th
09/10: 4th
10/11: 5th
11/12: 4th
12/13: 5th
13/14: 6th (Doom and gloom!)
14/15: 5th.

In the last ten seasons our lowest league finish is 11th.
In the last ten seasons we have finished in the top half on nine occasions.
In the last ten seasons we have finished in the top six on eight occasions.

Of those two occasions we didn’t finish in the top 6 we reached a cup final.
In the last ten seasons we have qualified for European football on nine occasions.

Has it really been that bad? Is Daniel Levy infact the devil himself?
If you consider the Champions League the be all and end all then sure it has been disappointing but then it's a competition we've only played in twice in our 133 year history, one of which in the last five seasons.

Contrary to popular opinion I'm chuffed we qualified for Europe yesterday and here's to another ten years of European football! I'd sooner that than go back to some of the shit throughout the 90's.

The frustrating part is that we've been close to being really good a few times - I also think peoples perspective over our relative success would be different if we'd managed to finish above the Scum once or twice.

The frustrating part is that we've been close to being really good a few times

This! There have been a couple of points where we have had the chance to push on and really make a mark but because levy is a massive pussy we have let them pass us by. Now the same old teams have got through their perspective bad runs and got champions league places and we are left as also rans AGAIN. I am sure United will rest on their laurels and not invest after they receive this years champions league windfall :levyeyes:

Ever since I've supported Spurs, we have always been maddingly (not sure that's a word, but it'll do for these purposes) inconsistent. When we're good, it's pretty amazing and when it's bad, it brings you down and can break your heart. If it wasn't for the fact that Woolwich were making top four, it wouldn't bother me so much where we finished in the league, if we captured a cup or two instead.

5th or better 7 out of 10 years. I think that cements our place and with the new ground we will be in a good position to break into top 4. It won't be easy but that must be the aim.

The OP lists out a decade of fuck all and makes it out to be some sort of success.

Always the same old shit, well it's better than the 90's blah blah blah, well manure were relegated in the 70's, it's a fucking shame they didn't hold anything above that as their benchmark for ''success''

Compare shit with shit .
Compare with the 80's , 70's ( even going down) , 60's , 50's ,
Even in the 90s we won the Fa cup for a record time , nirvana , Screaming Trees ,
Jeff Buckley , Pearl Jam, Jayhawks , Lemonheads , golden Smog , radio head ,

Great post. Not sure Greavsy,whatever his latest incarnation is will agree with you. What i will say is, Charlie and Mrs P are on the money. I think it depends on when you started your Love/Support for the Lillywhites. Personally as an impressionable 5 year old, 73 was as good a year as any. Alas the bad times were only a few years away. This didnt matter, i was already hooked. Ok, 77 wasnt our finest outing but it has never been as dark since then, unless you include the boardroom shenanagans of 91. The 80's was relativley good as far as performance on the pitch was concerned, always there or thereabouts. We seemed to bomb as the premier league took off, Spursy.
As from 2005 till now, given all the Mega Money deals from Russia and the Middle East with teams like Citeh and West London Utd benefitting, i think we have a lot to be thankful for. We have managed to keep within striking distance without breaking the bank.
Im on my Hollibops at the moment and have bumped into an Everton season ticket holder, ( We watched the final day game together) It quite scary just how similar our clubs are, and yet he was envious of our set up and how well we have dine in the last 10 years.
As a side note. They absolutley love Lennon and want him to stay. He thinks a deal can be done that includes Mirrallas coming our way.
Getting back to the original post, its never boring supporting Tottenham, thats why i do.

The OP lists out a decade of fuck all and makes it out to be some sort of success.

Always the same old shit, well it's better than the 90's blah blah blah, well manure were relegated in the 70's, it's a fucking shame they didn't hold anything above that as their benchmark for ''success''
Compare shit with shit .
Compare with the 80's , 70's ( even going down) , 60's , 50's ,
Even in the 90s we won the Fa cup for a record time , nirvana , Screaming Trees ,
Jeff Buckley , Pearl Jam, Jayhawks , Lemonheads , golden Smog , radio head ,
With the exception of the 60's I could have listed near enough any decade and it wouldn't make particularly great reading.

The 70's and 80's we won a handful of cups (3 in each decade) but then how quickly do people go and dismiss us in the league cup and Europa League?

I'm keen to know what people would regard success as for Tottenham given we're supposed to chuck away two out of three trophies (four including the league) every season?

We've been a consistent top 6 side in the last decade, won one trophy, reached two further finals (losing one on penalties so small margins) and a handful of semis.
We're not going to win something every year. Particularly when United, City, Liverpool, Woolwich and Chelsea share the same ambitions.

If we're going to cling on to winning the league and qualifying for the Champions League as the only measure of success then we're going to end up pretty disappointed.
We all want success for Spurs but we've only achieved two league titles and played two European Cup campaigns (one in the last five years), a little perspective wouldn't go amiss.

The last ten years have been as unsuccessful as many of the 123 prior.

It's strange to think that in my first proper season following Spurs, 1994/5, we signed one of the best players from the 1994 World Cup. Nowadays he would be going to Chelsea/Man City/Woolwich/Man Utd...if not Real Madrid/Barcelona. Blackburn won the league that year.

Football has changed a lot since then. Yes our league performance has got better but at the same time, the chances of us actually winning the league have got slimmer as the gap between the top teams and the rest has grown exponentially. For us, there is a glass ceiling of 5th at the moment. To finish 4th on two occasions and to seriously challenge for it (and be unlucky not to get it) on two other occasions is quite an achievement...if you look at the financial side of things and how far behind the other teams we are in that sense.

Sky publishing this, League Table over last 50 years:

lgu_3317740b.jpg

lgaa_3317772b.jpg

Don't get excited about our future, if Arse Wenger does eventually start spending from the vast piggy bank he has every year to spend expect our luck ? To continue .
With a new stadium, money for players will be tight and big players want MONEY not glory, so let's hope Pococino gets it right on the pitch and blends youth and experience .
I've been lucky and seen many cup victories, including 2 out 3 eufa wins and hope in my time on this planet to see us get the holy grail but as long as I follow Spurs I want them to play our brand of football.

Back
Top Bottom