The curious case of Benjamin Stambouli

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems to be a lead off into a discussion, but then the discussion stops before it starts.

If Pochettino wouldn't play Stambouli, might there have been a reason? It's all well and good to question why he never played very much, but we need to kind of go beyond that if we want to find an answer. And I mean more than bland assertions. Pochettino either had an on-pitch or off-pitch reason to not use Stambouli more. If we can't figure out what that was, then we can't judge if it was a mistake on Pochettino's part.

Seems to be a lead off into a discussion, but then the discussion stops before it starts.

If Pochettino wouldn't play Stambouli, might there have been a reason? It's all well and good to question why he never played very much, but we need to kind of go beyond that if we want to find an answer. And I mean more than bland assertions. Pochettino either had an on-pitch or off-pitch reason to not use Stambouli more. If we can't figure out what that was, then we can't judge if it was a mistake on Pochettino's part.
Agreed. I wish that he would have been given more of a chance, but the reality is that we can't know enough about what went on behind the scenes to know what the problem was. He didn't APPEAR to be one of the supposed trouble-makers, so that doesn't seem to be it. Even though he didn't play a lot, he managed to rack up 25 appearance, even though a lot of those were probably late substitutions.

It just kind of seems that he had enough going for him to make the bench, but not enough in Poch's eyes to give him a real go.

Not sure how he'll feature at PSG if he couldn't make our first 11. I wonder if the French have a 'home grown' requirement like the EPL? Is he there to make their quota?

Pochettino likes high energy play.
Stambouli does not provide high energy play.

I think that it's pretty clear that Stambouli was brought in as a contingency, and at the start of the season everyone underestimated the extent to which Mason would feature in our first team.

Pochettino likes high energy play.
Stambouli does not provide high energy play.

I think that it's pretty clear that Stambouli was brought in as a contingency, and at the start of the season everyone underestimated the extent to which Mason would feature in our first team.
Nailed it.

Close thread

High energy or not, he knew how to shield a defence and do the dirty work in midfield. I haven't seen someone do that job at Spurs for a while.

Back
Top Bottom