*** The Carbon friendly Green Cup Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham 11 AM Tuesday 18th *** ♻️ 🌎

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does everybody know that the bird is a word?

• Blake’s 7

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The philtrum

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa

Votes: 40 87.0%

• Total voters
Not attacking enough from Ange....

“I'm talking about the intent. I'm trying to provide the security and structure for my players to play that kind of football. There will be missteps along the way but we've got to be all in. They were trying to do that but at times it wasn't working because they weren't sure yet what positions to be in but that's what we can show them and work on.”

Dear Dan, I know you get my letters but you still ain't callin'. You gotta sign Ange some centre backs or the opposition won't stop scorin'

200.gif

I know I'm repeating much of what has already been said here, and i know we shouldn't read too much into a friendly, but:
  • So encouraging to see us already playing the way we expected to eventually play under Ange, and amazed that there are very clear signs of that so early on.
  • If we put in performances like that every week, we will win far more games than we lose or draw. A fair reflection today might have been something like 4-2 or even 5-2 to us.
  • If we put in performances like that each week but with a much better defence then, well, sky's the limit.
  • I'm not too down-hearted about the stupid goals conceded - we already knew that's our main problem, all the rumours suggest that one way or another that will be our transfer focus in the coming weeks, also the poorest defenders today are those who are least likely to figure in competitive games even if they do stay. Of course we all want two new CBs - today will certainly have done nothing to discourage the club from making that happen...
  • I guess the only downside of today is Richarlison - we keep saying that if he keeps getting into those positions (well, the onside ones at least) then the goals will come, but when? And if people say that's all about getting a run in the team, well at the moment that's not likely to happen. And we don't look like selling / replacing him. So he needs to be able to score whenever he gets a game, however rare. Let's hope that starts happening soon. That aside, his running will at least be a massive help to Ange's pressing when he does play.
  • Some fantastic performences from many others. Bissouma looks like the player we thought we'd bought, Maddison already looks class, Udogie and Sarr superb, Soloman and Divine very promising (Divine possibly even ready to figure), even Lo Celso had a good 45 mins (though I'm aware we've said that before...). I'm sure I've missed others worthy of mention. The best thing about the mix of good and bad performances is that the good ones mostly came from players we're hoping and expecting to keep, and the bad ones mostly came from those who none of us expect to play a significant part next season (if they're still here at all).
  • So, would we take that every week? In terms of performances, I definitely would. Having 30+ chances and not winning is something that I last saw a few times in the peak Poch era, and statistically that can't happen every week. With current defence, on average we'd win a game like that 4-2. With a better defence, 4-1 or even 4-0, they didn't exactly create much.
  • Even if we start the season badly, and are in the bottom half by end of September, there's one thing we can be very confident on - the football will be a million times more fun and exciting than anything we've seen in the last 4 years, and if that continues then for me that alone will be enough for me to be confident that, lads and lasses, we may well have our Tottenham back! :)

Last edited:
Yes it's okay you can chat on there as if it's Whatsapp you just need to create a user name and password and give an email address to join it. Then you can either chat to other spurs fans on there or click the Matchday Stream channel there to watch the game tomorrow at 11am
Goes to join Discord

PS you have to follow the rules and be polite etc
Abandons joining Discord

Our finishing and touches inside the West Ham box were very poor. Many players missed really good opportunities to score
Ange uses pre-seasons to maximise what he knows about the team for when the real games start. It's all about learning at this point. Winning 6-0 tells Ange nothing but losing 2-3 tells him everything.

I just watched the whole thing and I have to say, I really enjoyed that game of football. Spurs looked like Spurs again. It was such a breath of fresh air to watch fluid dynamic attacking football being played again by people wearing that shirt. It looked like the good days under Poch. Yes we still have the defensive issues, yes some individual quality is lacking, and I'm not sure about the keeper either, BUT you can already see the transformation taking place and the players look free again. There was a genuine and constant forward-looking intent to our style of play that reminded me why I even loved this club in the first place.

I might actually look forward to watching Spurs play football again. Imagine that!

Back
Top Bottom