The boo-boys of White Hart Lane

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep. We try & kid ourselves that we are 'better' supporters than Woolwich or the lottery winners but while that may well have been true even a few seasons ago, it is fairly obvious it is now a myth.

welcome to the modern generation of instant gratification fans, got all the stats and heat maps, know it all, can't be told, you're all cunts and I'm right, the managers an idiot and I know better.....waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh I deserve my team to be better it's all about me me me me me me me me me me me me ................I DEMAND more success!

fuck knows what would happen to some of our wonderful new fanbase if we got relegated, I reckon half the posters on TFC would spontaneously combust.

Yep. We try & kid ourselves that we are 'better' supporters than Woolwich or the lottery winners but while that may well have been true even a few seasons ago, it is fairly obvious it is now a myth.
Hmm. Strangely, for our generation, having seen the bad times as well as the good, taking the rough with the smooth is a whole lot easier.
No more pleasant to take the losses or the taste of bitterness for us - we just behave a bit better.

I remember when being a Spurs fan meant you stuck by the club through thick and thin.. Now it seem fashionable to boo the team and slag off at every opportunity..

As Mick said, it is the fault of instant gratification society which seems to affect football fans in general. Also, 24 hour coverage of football hasn't helped, we would go to the game on a Sat & apart from MotD or the Big Match wouldn't really think about it until the following week apart from what station are we departing from to see the away game. You never knew we had bought a new player until you picked up the Evening Standard.

As Mick said, it is the fault of instant gratification society which seems to affect football fans in general. Also, 24 hour coverage of football hasn't helped, we would go to the game on a Sat & apart from MotD or the Big Match wouldn't really think about it until the following week apart from what station are we departing from to see the away game. You never knew we had bought a new player until you picked up the Evening Standard.

Once again, spot on.. They were the days of real football.. One of my Mates who I go with often says how he preferred the Christian Gross years.. Not the football but the fact that there wasn't so much pressure to get into the CL etc..You could enjoy the day more and like you said, a win was always a bonus..
Being a football fan these days means you have to troll someone on Twitter.. The days of proper football and proper fans seem a thing of the past..

welcome to the modern generation of instant gratification fans, got all the stats and heat maps, know it all, can't be told, you're all cunts and I'm right, the managers an idiot and I know better.....waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh I deserve my team to be better it's all about me me me me me me me me me me me me ................I DEMAND more success!

fuck knows what would happen to some of our wonderful new fanbase if we got relegated, I reckon half the posters on TFC would spontaneously combust.

Fed up of this modern fan bollocks

The reality is the most vitriolic fans I see are regulars that have been going years.

The main issue is we need new blood that go for a piss up and a good time. Rather than the season ticket holders who just sit there in the same seat with a coffee slagging everyone off

It's become a routine for them rather than an exciting experience. Ticket prices are the real issue

The reality is the most vitriolic fans I see are regulars that have been going years.

The main issue is we need new blood that go for a piss up and a good time. Rather than the season ticket holders who just sit there in the same seat with a coffee slagging everyone off

It's become a routine for them rather than an exciting experience. Ticket prices are the real issue

Some maybe.. but that isn't the case for the majority..

The issue of booing at WHL can, to some extent, be remedied by constant disapproval of this malaise by articles such as the one here, criticism of the boo-boys on fans forums etc and, for those attending home matches, doing their best to maintain a healthy, positive support no matter what. Unfortunately the vile, ill informed and vindictive attacks on the team, manager and club on the internet is something that we have to live with and do our best to ignore, as every fuckwit and their dog is able to add their tuppence worth on Twatter and suchlike, most of whom have probably never been to the Lane (and hopefully never will).

Once again, spot on.. They were the days of real football.. One of my Mates who I go with often says how he preferred the Christian Gross years.. Not the football but the fact that there wasn't so much pressure to get into the CL etc..You could enjoy the day more and like you said, a win was always a bonus..
Being a football fan these days means you have to troll someone on Twitter.. The days of proper football and proper fans seem a thing of the past..

Just said on the other thread for those of us going during the dark times, the Jol era was a payoff for those fans, was an amazing time to be a spurs fan seeing us recover from the shit show for years before

In the ground, probably. On the internet? I doubt it.

One of the constant issues and "insults" I have to deal with are the repetitious comments about my age and how I'm out of touch with modern football.
Not just me - anyone of my generation, if they have a view of things that isn't in step with the biggest shouters.
It makes me laugh, because some new gen fans seem to think people like me stopped watching football in the 70's and everything is a complete culture shock.
I haven't stopped watching the game and have watched it develop and mature, and have the advantage of having watched cycles of results, players coming into the game and retiring, and have built up a library of experiences of being a supporter that don't go away.
What it does do, is make me more sanguine about results and helps me to enjoy the good times, and not to have to seek ways of showing off on here about how much more I know than every manager or fan.
Basically it called growing up.
I'm not saying you're wrong about who the moaners and boo boys are - I've not been in the ground for 5 years.

But trust me, the modern generation of fans are intolerant and bad tempered and largely unpleasant to deal with when things go wrong for the team - as if it were some personal insult sent to them to make their lives worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom