Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You didn't even read the article did you.... You just got clickbaited by the headline.

"So it would not have been a surprise to hear him share his frustrations with Dragusin’s ongoing wait for a start at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

However, talking to Romanian media, he said: “You have nothing to worry about, it’s normal. After this defeat (to Wolves), I hope he will get his chances. He couldn’t have knocked them all out. Romero is a world champions. Van de Ven played well."

Last edited:
You didn't even read the article did you.... You just got clickbaited by the headline.

"So it would not have been a surprise to hear him share his frustrations with Dragusin’s ongoing wait for a start at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.

However, talking to Romanian media, he said: “You have nothing to worry about, it’s normal. After this defeat (to Wolves), I hope he will get his chances. He couldn’t have knocked them all out. Romero is a world champions. Van de Ven played well."
Just out of interest are you a schoolteacher? 😀

Will be interesting to hear what you think
The game was rather poor to be honest. Lots of individual errors, poor technique, the ref kept interrupting play...but Inter's goal was class, great cross from Bastoni (who otherwise spent his time on the deck crying).

As for Zirkzee, tough old game for the kid. Bologna were awful, never laid a glove on Inter.

Defensively, he's not great at pressing, just hasn't got the pace (he reminds me of Kane), but he uses his football IQ to try & cut passing lanes. Also, he does track back and he ain't scared of putting his foot in. Got a yellow for a tackle that personally I don't even blow a foul for. Useful at defending set pieces too cause he's that tall. So yeah I was impressed with his effort & mentality on that side of the ball.

Tough to really judge him going forward cause his teammates - especially Saelemaekers - kept fucking about and wasting possession instead of finding him whenever he made good runs. He was also on his own against 3 tough Serie A defenders in Acerbi, Bastoni & Darmian...but you could tell he still worried them, especially with the ball at his feet cause he can turn & has got lots of tricks. He did what Kane used to do...drop back into midfield to make things happen but his teammates just weren't on the same planet. Still, he had one great chance to equalise and he took a poor shot, barely working the goalie...I'd noticed in other games already that his finishing was still pretty average. A proper striker buries that chance, no question. But still a kid and he spent the game frustrated so plays a part too. Then he got subbed off.

The game was rather poor to be honest. Lots of individual errors, poor technique, the ref kept interrupting play...but Inter's goal was class, great cross from Bastoni (who otherwise spent his time on the deck crying).

As for Zirkzee, tough old game for the kid. Bologna were awful, never laid a glove on Inter.

Defensively, he's not great at pressing, just hasn't got the pace (he reminds me of Kane), but he uses his football IQ to try & cut passing lanes. Also, he does track back and he ain't scared of putting his foot in. Got a yellow for a tackle that personally I don't even blow a foul for. Useful at defending set pieces too cause he's that tall. So yeah I was impressed with his effort & mentality on that side of the ball.

Tough to really judge him going forward cause his teammates - especially Saelemaekers - kept fucking about and wasting possession instead of finding him whenever he made good runs. He was also on his own against 3 tough Serie A defenders in Acerbi, Bastoni & Darmian...but you could tell he still worried them, especially with the ball at his feet cause he can turn & has got lots of tricks. He did what Kane used to do...drop back into midfield to make things happen but his teammates just weren't on the same planet. Still, he had one great chance to equalise and he took a poor shot, barely working the goalie...I'd noticed in other games already that his finishing was still pretty average. A proper striker buries that chance, no question. But still a kid and he spent the game frustrated so plays a part too. Then he got subbed off.

Thanks for the effort to type that up.

The issue with pressing and finishing on limited chances are the exact 2 reasons I'd be very hesitant. Matches what I saw as well. As a hold up #9/10 hybrid, he's as close to Kane as you could find in terms of style and has so many things to like.

But for Ange the two non-negotiables are pressing and finishing chances without loads of chances. It's also why I see people talking about signing a striker for big money and thinks it's miles off the mark most of the time.

It makes sense. I can't think of a £100m player who would be worth the gamble and would want to come to us. Good scouting and a willingness to spend £50m (in actuality I can see us spending up to £70m if we identify the right guy) should improve the starting XI.

There's gonna be people this Summer itching for us to spend big on players just because Woolwich did it with Rice whilst there may not necessarily be players actually worth that on the market.

Gonna be a funny one this Summer, no one really knows where the market is gonna be in terms of player values, no one really knows how much P&S rules will hit PL clubs an limit spending until we see some actual transfers.

There's gonna be people this Summer itching for us to spend big on players just because Woolwich did it with Rice whilst there may not necessarily be players actually worth that on the market.

Gonna be a funny one this Summer, no one really knows where the market is gonna be in terms of player values, no one really knows how much P&S rules will hit PL clubs an limit spending until we see some actual transfers.

You are coming about it from the wrong angle.

What we need to expect of the club is the willingness to pay that if the best target we have for position requires that, especially if we are competing with other clubs like they were for Rice.

The two best examples on the market being N Williams or Kvratshkelia. If we are in a battle with woolwich for either of them, we need to expect the club to offer the wages and transfer fee to win the battle. There is no reason they couldn't.

What we need to expect of the club is the willingness to pay that if the best target we have for position requires that, especially if we are competing with other clubs like they were for Rice.

The two best examples on the market being N Williams or Kvratshkelia. If we are in a battle with woolwich for either of them, we need to expect the club to offer the wages and transfer fee to win the battle. There is no reason they couldn't.

This is an entirely different point to the one I proposed.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

:levyeyes:

Back
Top Bottom