Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Airfixx Airfixx Get in! Get in! and NotThatTedHughes NotThatTedHughes

giphy.gif
Still waiting for your first football, player, or tactics related post.

Sleep Yawn GIF

In any thread.

Last edited:
they are proper signings though. to be fair we paid 50m for romero who was serie A best defender. i dont think we do that if at WHL.

bissouma and maddison were shrewd signings. unreal value for money.

ndombele and gio were new stadium signings and look how theyve turned out. 100m down the drain
The thing with WHL is that being stuck at 36k with no modern amenities was going to become more of a drag on our operations by the year. We didn't necessarily have to tear down and build a billion pound jewel, but SOMETHING had to be done.

We chose the best option, IMO.

Honestly - why does the price of the player matter? It doesn't instantly make them a good player as we have seen countless times over and over and over again.... at our club more than most.

Maddison is without any question whatsoever a marquee signing and he already has the stats in this league to prove it.
Not even price so much, but for the club that brought Ardiles and Villa to England, and Klinsmann and brought Lineker back from Barca (and Greaves back from Milan of course), there's something of the club's heritage in a headline-grabbing signing for a huge well known star.

That isn't necessarily the smartest way to do business today. I am more focused on filling out a squad. But I can appreciate the sentiment.

There was a benefit in our move for Edgar Davids back when, or even when Bale came back, that went beyond strictly their utility on the pitch.

didnt gio break the record then ndombele shortly after? gio was big money at the time for 40m or whatever he was. gio and ndom was meant to take us to the next level.
Maybe, but thought Sanchez was the record still (even adjusting, CB generally cheaper than high end 10), from before the new stadium.

Both combined were of course the true “never done that before”, but also hugely diluted as we just made the CL final (paying half their fees instantly!).

Honestly - why does the price of the player matter? It doesn't instantly make them a good player as we have seen countless times over and over and over again.... at our club more than most.

Maddison is without any question whatsoever a marquee signing and he already has the stats in this league to prove it.

I love Maddison. Great player. Great signing. Undoubtedly will outperform plenty of much more expensive signings and if he had longer on his contract would have been much more expensive.

I can meet you halfway and say he's a Marquee signing in that respect.

BUT.

we could have signed him at WHL.

Every Spurs fan knows that signings like Osihmen or Kvara aren't realistic because the club can't attract that type of talent. We couldn't in WHL and we still cant in the new stadium.

That type of talent is attracted by the chance to win trophies.

The stadium hasn't increased our chances of winning trophies.

Marquee signing in the premier league is 70m+ ish.
So if Leicester didn't get relegated and we paid £80 million for Madison would that make him better?:ange-hmm:
I know what you are getting at though, and its hard not to agree that we seem to have to aim a bit lower and hope they come good rather than spending out big money on a sure thing, I wonder how much of this stems from signing the mega money duds like Ndombele and GLC?
I think just lately our scouting and signings (so far) have turned out a lot better, you only have to look to the likes of Bissouma, Udogie, Sarr, VDV etc and if Richie had turned out decent (he might still) then I think we would be very close to having a starting 11 equal to that when Poch was here in the early days. A couple more smart signings this window and we could really push on.

Maybe, but thought Sanchez was the record still (even adjusting, CB generally cheaper than high end 10), from before the new stadium.

Both combined were of course the true “never done that before”, but also hugely diluted as we just made the CL final (paying half their fees instantly!).
i thought gio was around 44-46 with add ons or something and sanchez was 40? either way, terrible value for money there.

Bournemouth willing to let Kieffer Moore go... now wouldn't that just be the most hilarious deadline day signing of all time.

think he made a decent point.

in terms of transfers, the club operates in almost exactly the same way.

CL can attract some more talented players but nothing attracts top talent like the chance to win trophies and the stadium objectively hasn't increased our chances of winning trophies.

People that talk about "marquee" signings whilst ignoring the quality of our recent signings are banging a completely dumb superficial drum.

Bloke's a fickle computer-game schooled trf junky with the attention span of a goldfish.

Were spending more money since the new stadium opened; anyone claiming that we were promised any more than that is lying.

I watched bakayoko last night against Rangers and he is exactly what we are needing. He’s as strong as an ox,lighting quick and goes left and right. Had a great shot saved when he cut in from the right. He’s what we want Deki to be. The only thing with him is he has never played central and I think Ange is looking for someone who can play right across the front 3. Johnson fits that mould better. I’m on the fence with Johnson but his pace and playing with better players could see him go up another level from what he’s performing at just now.

Back
Top Bottom