Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so what is proper value for Romero, wise guy? Transfermarkt has his value at €35 million. Not saying that's the correct value, but how do you know it's €60 million and not, say €45 million?

His value is certainly not what Transfermarkt says.

Look at what similar players are going for and then go from there.

Here’s what I know if we pay 60m and he’s good nobody will give a fuck that we didn’t get him for 50m. If he’s shit nobody will care that we got him on a deal for 45m.

At some point with players at his level if you value them as top class players you should pay the price it costs. If reports are true that they want 55m and we want to pay 45m I think we are much worse off walking away than going closer to their price.

For me if you value him at 45m then 55m is not an overpay.

If they don’t want to overpay for low level guys at the 15-20m sure haggle over pennies but with the top level guys there is value in paying a little more to get them in. As we have seen with guys like Alisson, Dias, VVD.

Who is prudent? Ben White is £50m, Vestergaard is 29 and terrible, Milenkovic was apparently dreadful last season, Wolfsberg aren't selling Lacroux, Kounde would cost even more and is going to Chelsea. Every signing is a risk but just going for 3rd or 4th choice cheap punts is a sure way of ending up with this seasons Fazio or Stambouli.
:levylol:But at least we won’t do a Leeds!

Yes, and to me that's where we actually don't have leverage. What other 55-60M CB is available, at that level and would want to come to us? We know it's not Kounde. Who else could even fit that bill, whether we're linked or not?

That's why we have to pay for Romero this window. And I understand that "just pay up" has also become a saying with no nuance. But at this point if you look at the full situation, it's the right thing to do, even if it means we have to play Doherty at RB instead of upgrading.

We simply can't go into the season with Dier-Milenkovic or something like that in the back line if we have any ambitions at all.
Nothing, absolutely nothing is worth having to start Doherty at RB this season.

Not disputing their status as 'promissory notes', but that doesn't disqualify them from being legal tender.

As per the wiki entry:

also:
That makes sense. This bit clarifies it:

"Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are not legal tender anywhere, and Jersey, Guernsey and Manx banknotes are only legal tender in their respective jurisdictions."

No disagreement there. The point is, how do we know we're not getting another Sanchez? No player outside of a select few are a sure thing, especially at that young age. And especially when coming from a weaker league to a stronger one. So we need to be prudent.

Romero has shown a lot more than Sanchez had by the time we got him in a better league, as well being more impressive internationally. Sanchez was bought a lot on his potential and physical attributes, Romero is coming in based much more on the play he already has shown rather than projections.

Doesn’t mean he will be a guarantee to work out but I think he has a very small chance of being a total flop like Sanchez. In my view the concern with Romero is more that if he comes he is not the world class level defender and only an ok defender, but even then still a guy that is fine starting for us.

Can you give one example of the Spanish government "helping" Real Madrid, Barcelona or any other team for that matter?

La Liga teams got illegal tax breaks and property deals in the past. They got busted for it in court recently I believe.

Maybe the reports I read were false though. I am at work in my phone so will look into it further later.

If I am wrong about the government giving them massive tax breaks fair enough I don’t live there so I am going off reports in the media I have read.

I actually just discovered a remarkable bit of trivia.

Bank notes in the UK are not legal tender. They're promissory notes.

Therefore technically anyone in the UK can refuse payment in bank notes, Scottish or otherwise.
Pennies and two p are only legal tender up until 20p and then can be refused.

Shops can refuse legal tender as card only payments are legal.

World Cup Success GIF by FIFA

No change from yesterday then. Seems to be moving slowly. I wonder if the journos aren’t getting the news now like they were before.
It will happen this deal imo. Just brinkmanship by atalanta who have a reputation for being awkward. Still have month of window left. Not ideal though having city first game as straight away have to have our A game. Do think we will win that game though or at worst draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom