Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Middlesbrough are plotting a move to sign #TottenhamHotspur’s Danny Rose by the Friday evening deadline.

The club have made a 'break-through' in talks with Swansea over centre-back Joe Rodon, with the deal looking increasingly likely to be completed before the domestic window shuts on Friday.

I think everyone agrees its probably in both Rose and club's interests if he moves on, so if he goes to Boro its probably for the best - even though I suspect Rose might still dream of Milan or another prestige club comes in fir him.

Swansea possibly looking for a replacement for Rodon - but also rumoured to be looking for two CB's

Whether Rodon comes to Spurs now or in January/summer (with a loan back to Swansea for all/part of this season I guess is where the conversations are, and I suspect both could be accomodated - only question is whether we could get Rodin into EL squad (announced 10 days ago) before January, especially if CCV (in our EL squad for depth) goes to Swansea as part of the deal.

Window closes tomorrow at 5pm.
Pretty much the only story is Rodon but there was a bit of Tier 3 ITK we were interested in Middlesbrough's Dael Fry which maybe has a tenuous link to a possible Rose move to the same club?

As I read it (from what's been disclosed in the media), the clause is straightforward - but how things play out is not, with everything up for grabs.

The clause is said to say that whilst we bought Reguilon for 32m Real Madrid have to pay us that sum plus 15m (ie 47m) in either summer 2021 or summer 22 to get him back.

However, not in the contract is :

1. Reguilon has to agree to the new wages being offered by Madrid - and given the start at Spurs I imagine Spurs will put him on a lot higher wages within the next year, so Madrid will need to match or better these.

2. Madrid have 2 excellent LB's who Zidane prefers (which is why he was sold), so Reguilon may not be that keen to go back whilst Zidane is there, and if the idea is for Madrid is to buy back and sell him on, it still needs Reguilon to agree.

3. Madrid's squad average age is probably 30+ or so, which means they will be looking to move on many of their current squad over the next 2-3 years and buy top class players - which will cost mega bucks.

Problem is that Madrid dont have much cash at present. So will they want to shell out almost 50m on Reguilon if they don't need to when they have other priority positions to fill ?

My guess is that Madrid will not want to exercise the clause in summer 2021 as they will have too much to do on buying players in other positions. In summer 2022 Madrid face a decision on buying back or not.

I'd say 2 times out of 3 Reguilon stays at Spurs, even if that means we need to pay Madrid 10m or 15m more to make it not worthwhile Madrid trying to buy him back and selling on to another club.

So no certainty either way.

Worst case is Spurs end up with 50m in one or two years time to buy another LB - and in that time both Sessegnon and Cirkin might be more experienced and viable back up LB's (or even viable first choice) - so we are still in a good place.

Whilst I would prefer there to be no buy back clause, I am happy to have Rguilon here NOW with that buy back clause. Well played Mourhino/Levy/Hitchens on making that choice.
Madrid dont need to have the cash to exercise the buy out.if they get offered, say, 60 million, and he gets offered enough wages to agree, they buy him back and sell him straight on. Wouldnt be the first time

tea GIF

The Tea Lady says that the deal for Rodon is done!

Madrid dont need to have the cash to exercise the buy out.if they get offered, say, 60 million, and he gets offered enough wages to agree, they buy him back and sell him straight on. Wouldnt be the first time

I'm struggling to name left backs who have been sold for more than Chilwell's £45m price tag.

Can you name me say 6 left backs who have ben sold for more ?

Might give an idea on how likely it is that a club will offer than 60m to Madrid for Left Back Reguillon.

Back
Top Bottom