Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m reliably informed that Levy has imposed a transfer embargo in order to kill off the Spurs Community ITK thread. He’s as pissed off with Hercules as everyone else.

I have to admit that I was expecting some sort of statement signing. We have the new stadium, sponsorship deals either in place or up for sale, and finally some extra clout from regular CL qualification. It could still happen, but this is going right down to the wire.

Still happy with the squad, and would be confident that we can have a good season without bringing in anyone new. It’s inevitable that the stronger a squad becomes, the less opportunities there are to improve it. Backup for Kane is the one obvious area where we could have better options, but when we play one up front it’s difficult to find a quality alternative that is happy to sit on the bench.

Is that really true?

Lucas plays on the right side of midfield. Martial on the left or as a striker.

I’d say Lucas’ place in the team is more affected by Son. Given Dele and Eriksen are almost certainties to start whenever fit that leaves one AM spot open and it’s a choice between starting Son on the left or Moura/Lamela on the right.

Good points, fair enough. I admit I’m getting a bit precious about LM.

I have to admit that I was expecting some sort of statement signing. We have the new stadium, sponsorship deals either in place or up for sale, and finally some extra clout from regular CL qualification. It could still happen, but this is going right down to the wire.

In all honestly, I think re-signing Kane to a massive contract was the statement signing.
We've pretty much run out of time for any statement signings this window.

In all honestly, I think re-signing Kane to a massive contract was the statement signing.
We've pretty much run out of time for any statement signings this window.

Agreed. I said something similar about Kane’s contract. At the time I felt that it was what Pochettino meant with his ‘brave’ comment.

At the start of the window I’d have taken a bumper contract for Kane over a new signing. I think we’re at a point where retaining our best players is more important than signing a couple of squad players.

I think we’re at a point where retaining our best players is more important than signing a couple of squad players.

If the club doesn't progress the best players will leave regardless of whatever contract they've signed.

For the club to progress we can't afford better 1st 11 players (Other than CM). Therefore we need better squad players.

It's a chicken and Egg situation and not as simple as you make it out to be. Players want money and progression. We're not in a situation where we can easily provide both.

So did Stephen Hawkins
j.gif

Back
Top Bottom