Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I dont understand this. Unless Dembele is asking for ridiculous money, i really cant fathom. Especially if the rumor about the length of the contract issue is true.

He has been good servant for the club. Impose himself well and been boasting the midfield for quite some time. Players love him. Seems like he tutoring some younger players. Why would we let him go.
Is it such a bad thing to have him as our squad players. Rotate him with another great MC. Dont make him plan A. Make him plan B or A2 if injury is the concern.

Every signing is a gamble. We dont know what we will be getting. New marquee MC signing could play like Bakayoko for God's sake. At least bed the new signing together with him going into the season.

I think the fact the Chinese League will be a lot easier for Dembele, training probably not as intense as under a Poch.

Dembele Is going to be a loss, anyone think Winks is the obvious replacement? Not looking like we will avoid “Levy time” this year

Dembele has been a wonderful player for us and we'll certainly miss him if we don't adequately replace him.

But, the fact that he's moving to China tells you everything you need to know about what his priorities are. He's looking for a final pay day which I have nothing against. Footballers have a career for a finite amount of time, and he's within his rights to earn as much as he can. But, his motivations clearly aren't in line anymore with the rest of the players at Spurs and I assume that's why we're agreeing to sell him.

poor gkn- kinda always knew he was a bit too young to make it the way he wanted to here.
he needs to go back to france and get a starting position at a mid-table club like toulouse or something. kinda surprised we haven't set up a loan w/buy option deal for him with such a club yet. fenehrbache/turkey seems like a terrible league to have to try and develop in these days. maybe levy can use as a make-weight in a deal for Ndombele?

Dembele Is going to be a loss, anyone think Winks is the obvious replacement? Not looking like we will avoid “Levy time” this year

We can't really trust Winks to come back and be starter quality for us next season- needs to prove he can get fully healthy again first.
Hope we don't really want to start Sissoko 2/3 games next season.
I guess Dier/Wanyama works, but it's been pretty boring and not particularly effective football when it's been tried. I'd hope we want to play a bit more offensively than that...
I just hope if Dembele is truly leaving, then we make our statement signing in CM.
90m eur for M-Savic just to see if they are bullshitting over there! haha!

Watch a replay of Spurs v Real Madrid - Winks v Modric (possibly the best midfield player in Europe).....and Winks came out on top...which tells you that if fit he's a great asset in CM.

Poch will be monitoring Winks recovery and probably by now will know whether he will be fit or whether the op was unsuccessful - and chances are that it was.

Given Spurs are in 4 competitions, Spurs will certainly want another good CM to compete and rotate with Winks, and given the number of games its pointless calling either Winks or the new guy first choice or second choice as Poch will choose which will play in various games.

If he wants to stay, so long as we are keeping Sonny and let him be no 2 behind Kane, with Llorente 3, im fine with this. Give Levy more time to focus on other positions.

Got to disagree there. The likes of Llorente and Sissoko are not good enough and represent a significant drop off in effectiveness. Keeping them has two not mutually exclusive negative outcomes:
- takes up a squad space thus preventing us signing and upgrade for that role
- blocks the pathway for our youth. Whilst they may be a similar level of ineffectiveness (literally CANNOT be any worse) they have the potential at least to be an improvement. I sincerely believe that had Onomah got Sissoko’s mins last year we’d be in no worse position. Plus we got the likes of Oakley-booth who’s been in around the squad most of last year without any opportunity. And given we have just extended this Reo Griffiths’ contract, isn’t this his pathway to the 1st team being blocked?

Got to disagree there. The likes of Llorente and Sissoko are not good enough and represent a significant drop off in effectiveness. Keeping them has two not mutually exclusive negative outcomes:
- blocks the pathway for our youth. Whilst they may be a similar level of ineffectiveness (literally CANNOT be any worse) they have the potential at least to be an improvement. I sincerely believe that had Onomah got Sissoko’s mins last year we’d be in no worse position. Plus we got the likes of Oakley-booth who’s been in around the squad most of last year without any opportunity. And given we have just extended this Reo Griffiths’ contract, isn’t this his pathway to the 1st team being blocked?

I didn't mention keeping Sissoko at all!
If you want to promote Griffiths, and promote him above Llorente, I'm into it.
Prob would still keep Llorente just in case though!

I didn't mention keeping Sissoko at all!
If you want to promote Griffiths, and promote him above Llorente, I'm into it.
Prob would still keep Llorente just in case though!

No, I realise that. But I was putting him in the same boat in terms of wasting a squad space based on effectiveness.

Not saying I necessarily want to promote Griffiths (maybe it’s sterling or one of the other strikers) to be main back up (would have Son and/or any Martial/Zaha type we ‘may’ sign). And if it’s Son maybe that frees up a wing spot for a different youngster. But my main point was that Llorente, sadly - given I’ve wanted to sign him for years, is pointless having around.

poor gkn- kinda always knew he was a bit too young to make it the way he wanted to here.
he needs to go back to france and get a starting position at a mid-table club like toulouse or something. kinda surprised we haven't set up a loan w/buy option deal for him with such a club yet. fenehrbache/turkey seems like a terrible league to have to try and develop in these days. maybe levy can use as a make-weight in a deal for Ndombele?
it wasn't his age as his terrible touch on the ball. that's the sort of things you don't learn with age

Poch trusts Sissoko and Sissoko knows his part. He's not a given starter but he is a utility player that comes on with a set role each game, does it and doesn't complain.

Poch has also said that with our rise up the table, the youth players are going to get it harder to break into the first team. It's one thing bedding in a youth player or two in the FA Cup or Europa League group stage, but completely different once we start fighting for a top 3-4 spot and the CL.

I think all of us would like to see Oakley-Booth and Skipp break into the first team guns blazing. But if/when results start tanking we all know that those two would be first to blame as well as the manager for playing youth players instead of seasoned veterans.

Catch 22 of success

Back
Top Bottom