Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Release cause is nearer €40m, and Bilbao probably won't sell for less
Would definitely feel £30-35mil as high as that is for a fee considering we're Spurs would still be a good punt on the lad. He's got no less potential than Dembele of Celtic but again I'd rather see Williams. Poch could make a man of him yet, you saw it here first :pochsmirk:

Would definitely feel £30-35mil as high as that is for a fee considering we're Spurs would still be a good punt on the lad. He's got no less potential than Dembele of Celtic but again I'd rather see Williams. Poch could make a man of him yet, you saw it here first :pochsmirk:
His release clause is apparently over £40 million & the scousers are willing to activate it. Now call me cynical, but I don't see levy getting into an auction with them at that kind of price, over a player who will be a back up for Kane.
Janssen was supposedly that player. He needs to be given more opportunity than the last 9 minutes, at Anfield, when we are 2-0 down & not looking like creating any chances. As much as I like Poch, that couldn't even be said to have been a last roll of the dice. It seemed utterly pointless.

I read similar "just pay it Levy" statements about Janssen.

Now it seems like the same people are saying "Levy wasted £20m on Janssen".

I read similar "just pay it Levy" statements about Janssen.

Now it seems like the same people are saying "Levy wasted £20m on Janssen".
Perhaps however I don't feel considering Janssen is 22, younger than batshuayi and roughly half the price that he is a lost cause. I'd happily give him another year or two to prove his worth.

As for Williams we cannot be in denial of the fact that this young player is a phenom and will torment defences in the PL or otherwise. Not quite Lukaku level but such a prospect. Take each potential outlay on young talent for what it is instead of painting it with the same brush.

His release clause is apparently over £40 million & the scousers are willing to activate it. Now call me cynical, but I don't see levy getting into an auction with them at that kind of price, over a player who will be a back up for Kane.
Janssen was supposedly that player. He needs to be given more opportunity than the last 9 minutes, at Anfield, when we are 2-0 down & not looking like creating any chances. As much as I like Poch, that couldn't even be said to have been a last roll of the dice. It seemed utterly pointless.
Agreed. What i said was I'd like to say us make an outlay given this young lads potential but lets not get ahead of ourselves, we're not Citeh and we don't spunk 30-40mil on this guy or that guy.

We are really lacking positive players off the bench, especially for games like yesterday where our usual approach isn't working.

Would love Celtics dembele if we could get him and if Leicester go down I wouldn't mind taking a punt of demari gray, not the finished article but very direct and probably a step up on players like nkoudou and njie

Bingo. The same people that pull out the ''just pay the extra 2-3 mil ffs Levy'' are now using wasteful purchases as a stick to beat him with.

Mad.
I fail to see how such a promising individual as Williams could represent a tangible enough risk. At 22 he's 6'1, strong, a good finisher and could he sold on for 15-20mil if he flopped which relatively speaking is enough to send a flop to the bundesliga and makr up your money. I like this guy and with a huge bit of luck we grab him before Klopp does.

You describe a small portion of part time supporters with that statement as.most.of us get behind our players. Be it Bobby or Janssen.

Although we did go balls deep for Sissoko...still a mystery that one.

Well, there is this interesting piece from last year:
"Mike Ashley says Newcastle United have 'virtually nothing left' in bank"

I bet hearing that spurred Levy into action. There's been rumors in the past that Newcastle owe us a lot in sell-on fees and fee installments for player purchases, so I wonder if Levy was eager to recoup some of that in something other than IOUs. He might have even worried that they would go into administration and force him to take a loss.

So, not entirely sure how it's all tied together, but owed debts seem to have a certain gravitational affect about them. I feel there is a strong whiff of more than just Sissoko about Sissoko's purchase this past deadline day.

Everton and England midfielder Ross Barkley, 23, could delay his decision on signing a new contract at Goodison Park, alerting the top Premier League sides to a potential summer deal. (Daily Star)

Weird how over the space of a month and a few decent games the press have lurched from Everton dropping Barkley due to poor form to him refusing to sign a contract to keep his options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom