Still plenty more to play for

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember that since HR we re on our 3rd manager in 3 years this summer. We have still managed to do quite well in the league despite an upheaval in playing staff and managerial styles and traits.

I said at the start of the season that we have to be patient. We have the 10th highest capacity in the EPL and, to put it bluntly, cannot compete with the big spenders....unless we sell.

MP has obviously been brought in because of this. Seeing as we are going to be restricted somewhat financially in the next few years, more so than LFC, Woolwich and Man U promoting from within and buying cheaper players with ability to develop is the way to go. He has a rep for bringing the best out of players, does not care about reputations and will use from within. That and his style is just what we like to see played.
He also demands that you put an effort in.
We needed some stability more than anything.
After Man U, Woolwich, Everton and Liverpool strengthened in the summer spending big whilst we bought Stambouli, Dier, Vorm, Davies, Yedlin and Fazio for a net spend of minus £1.2m, I really thought the pressure was off.
This season was all about finding our identity, laying foundations and building for the future and going back to basics. I would have been happy with 6th place as MP settled into the club and imposed his style. He must have time to takes stock, get his feet under the table and, more importantly, for the players to buy into him.
What more could you expect from us after the in a transitional period?
I said I would be happy with 6th if we showed some improvement in our passion, a sign of consistency and got back to playing good, attractive football. If we lost at least look like we gave a fuck when we did, no more rolling over.
Anything more than that would be a bonus.

I think we have shown improvement and the signs are good. Hopefully Mitchell and Co can make some worthwhile improvements to the squad, we can get rid of the ones that have not bought into it and push on.

The signs are good for me.

It's not true that 2 points per game would see us break a new record, it'd still be well below the 72 we got a couple of years back. I think we'll need at least that for 4th again and that'll be a real struggle with us still having trips to Old Trafford, St. Mary's, St. James' and Goodison as well as Moneybags City at the Lane.

Already been mentioned above, but with 2 points a game we'd be well off the record in the PL era. Agreed that the season's isn't finished yet though.

Who cares about the record?

That record was set when we had one of the best players in the world in our team. Besides, 69 points could still get 4th.

Remember that since HR we re on our 3rd manager in 3 years this summer. We have still managed to do quite well in the league despite an upheaval in playing staff and managerial styles and traits.

I said at the start of the season that we have to be patient. We have the 10th highest capacity in the EPL and, to put it bluntly, cannot compete with the big spenders....unless we sell.

MP has obviously been brought in because of this. Seeing as we are going to be restricted somewhat financially in the next few years, more so than LFC, Woolwich and Man U promoting from within and buying cheaper players with ability to develop is the way to go. He has a rep for bringing the best out of players, does not care about reputations and will use from within. That and his style is just what we like to see played.
He also demands that you put an effort in.
We needed some stability more than anything.
After Man U, Woolwich, Everton and Liverpool strengthened in the summer spending big whilst we bought Stambouli, Dier, Vorm, Davies, Yedlin and Fazio for a net spend of minus £1.2m, I really thought the pressure was off.
This season was all about finding our identity, laying foundations and building for the future and going back to basics. I would have been happy with 6th place as MP settled into the club and imposed his style. He must have time to takes stock, get his feet under the table and, more importantly, for the players to buy into him.
What more could you expect from us after the in a transitional period?
I said I would be happy with 6th if we showed some improvement in our passion, a sign of consistency and got back to playing good, attractive football. If we lost at least look like we gave a fuck when we did, no more rolling over.
Anything more than that would be a bonus.

I think we have shown improvement and the signs are good. Hopefully Mitchell and Co can make some worthwhile improvements to the squad, we can get rid of the ones that have not bought into it and push on.

The signs are good for me.

One game at at time please. the season isn't over and there are plenty of points to earn. Lets want to beat QPR on Saturday first and then take it from there.
The Scum nor Liverpool will go unbeaten to the end of the season, they will drop points.
As they may both feature in the next round of the FA cup, this could assist with our challenge.

Liverpool will get to the final-Gerrards birthday-final year at Liverpool (you can just see it). This could effect them in the league?

OK, author here, holding my hands up. Wrote this one pretty quickly, pretty hungover, on my lunch break at work Monday...

Think by 'League points record' I meant 'last year's total', and by 'an average of 2 points a game' I meant 'an average of just over two points a game' (I'm getting 2.09 a game to reach 70, now I look at a calculator).

Still, we doing OK.

Back
Top Bottom