Steve Archibald!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was at that game. That Archibald and Crooks partnership was fucking immense, think it was that season they both scored over 20 goals. It wasn’t like the normal Big guy, little guy pairing either, it was a a real dynamic double act. Both clever, Archibald slightly more refined, Crooks more explosive. But they had this telepathic awareness of each other.

I always remember the free kick routine where Hoddle would zip it along the deck, Crooks would step over, dummying it for Archibald, and run in behind, Archibald would then flick it through to him.
Hammered Down with rain crowd was only 32,000 but nobody cared..Archibald Archibald Archibald Archibald Archibald

Little bit a Archie magic...that flick to set up Hoddles goal.....And they say attacking fullbacks is a new thing, nobody told Chris Houghton😂

One of my favourite memories. Team bus got caught up in traffic and the players had to change on the bus, IIRC. All white kit with yellow socks and Hod on the rampage. My first visit to SB, and a nightmare getting out of the ground and onto the platform, think it took about two hours. Happy days :)

Article here last night in Guardian. Some good anecdotes, a lot about Barcelona. Mentions Chas & Dave climbing through the window in his pub on Roman Road, how he beat Hoddle by a few minutes to being the first to appear twice on TOTP. A lot about his mindset, how he knew he belonged, having played for Spurs in Europe etc. Carries on into his successful business career, currently dealing with an aggressive takeover.
Also, some good stuff in comments section below, a lot from Scotland days, even a gooner mentions how good he was in the 2 nil described earlier in this thread.
This bit interested me the most. Is he being economical with the truth? I'd always picked up that he'd fell out with Burkinshaw and it was a certainty that he'd leave...

Barcelona’s board wanted Hugo Sánchez, sitting upstairs in the same hotel the day Archibald signed, but Terry Venables got his way. “Terry called. He told me Maradona was going, [the manager, César Luis] Menotti too. It hadn’t worked out. ‘I want you.’ I never wanted to go to Barcelona: I wanted to stay at Spurs, but [former Tottenham chairman] Irving Scholar wanted the money. I never regretted it, though: a wonderful experience, better than I could have imagined.”

That was a great read. Think I mentioned it before, I was in his pub the night it opened :)
When was that? I lived pretty close, in south Hackney (1980-90).

Paul Miller's uncle had a little pub in Goldsmiths Row off Hackney Road.

We went there after the 82 replay, wonderful lock-in. They put on an amazing spread, the best seafood I ever had in London. I think Maxi stopped by around 3 or 4 am, might have been his brother though. Whatever, the pub went wild.

My memory of the night was a bit hazy then. I'm afraid I was very, very drunk

hqdefault.jpg

Up there amongst the best I've seen put on the shirt...when we signed him and Crookes .... They were just .... Wow.. Archibald guile and flair with Crookes pace and power took the team to a whole different level...forget Ossie Ricky mabbut all were memorable and great signings . But it was Crookes and Archibald that gave us the cutting edge that stood us apart..

aw aye, my old man is a yid and a Londoner - brought me up in the faith. He always spoke in the highest terms about Archibald.

I had a Spurs best ever 11 VHS as a kid. It was El Tel going through his best Spurs 11. I remember him dwelling on the Crooks and Archibald partnership.

Article here last night in Guardian. Some good anecdotes, a lot about Barcelona. Mentions Chas & Dave climbing through the window in his pub on Roman Road, how he beat Hoddle by a few minutes to being the first to appear twice on TOTP. A lot about his mindset, how he knew he belonged, having played for Spurs in Europe etc. Carries on into his successful business career, currently dealing with an aggressive takeover.
Also, some good stuff in comments section below, a lot from Scotland days, even a gooner mentions how good he was in the 2 nil described earlier in this thread.
This bit interested me the most. Is he being economical with the truth? I'd always picked up that he'd fell out with Burkinshaw and it was a certainty that he'd leave...

Barcelona’s board wanted Hugo Sánchez, sitting upstairs in the same hotel the day Archibald signed, but Terry Venables got his way. “Terry called. He told me Maradona was going, [the manager, César Luis] Menotti too. It hadn’t worked out. ‘I want you.’ I never wanted to go to Barcelona: I wanted to stay at Spurs, but [former Tottenham chairman] Irving Scholar wanted the money. I never regretted it, though: a wonderful experience, better than I could have imagined.”
That was a great read. Think I mentioned it before, I was in his pub the night it opened :)

Back
Top Bottom