Starting 11 for the 22/23 season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's the point ...
The thread was 'starting XI for the 2022/23 season'... and there isn't a definitive one.

The XI Conte picks for Southampton at home may well differ from the one he picks at Stamford Bridge a week later.... and so it should!

But still... Assuming everyone is fit; Conte will pick what he feels is his best possible XI against S'ton and if they smash it you can bet the same XI will start the week after.

It's a basic (and fun) concept for a thread.... Seems weird that people seem to be over-thinking and opposed to it.

even though its more about a 16 now than an 11, i think before a balls been kicked

1st 11
-----------------------lloris-----------------------------
-----------romero----dier----lenglet-----------------
--doc-----------bissouma--bentancur-------perisic
-------kulu-------------kane-------------son

2nd 11
---------------------forster-------------------------
---------tanganga--sanchez---davies----------
emerson------skipp---hojbjerg-------sess
------lucas---------richarlison---------gil

the depth is very strong, CB still needs improving though.

would be interesting to see where the 2nd team would finish in the league, reckon if you could get two upgrades too RWB and CB it would get top half.

Last edited:
But still... Assuming everyone is fit; Conte will pick what he feels is his best possible XI against S'ton and if they smash it you can bet the same XI will start the week after.

It's a basic (and fun) concept for a thread.... Seems weird that people seem to be over-thinking and opposed to it.
I know what you mean, but I think the beauty (and fun) of this is that now we DO have options!
What might work for a high press team, might not for a team parking the bus ..
and that's why a 'definitive' XI defeats the point.

Best XI vs. Liverpool and Best XI vs. Southampton might be two completely different propositions, especially in key areas.

Richarlison in for Son last season, in certain games where Son didn't shine (pun intended) might've garnered points/wins against certain teams we struggled against...

Likewise Bassouma for Hojberg!

I love the fact we might be able to chop and change because we can...
Not because we have to!

See quite a few people putting Lenglet into their starting 11. I think Davies was a rock toward the end of last season and definetly deserves his starting spot. Lenglet also had a terrible season with Barca, hence why their fans aren’t feeling too aggrieved he’s leaving so if he wants to play, he’ll need to prove himself. He’s good cover at the very least

I also think Doherty will be given another shot because he was in great form until he got injured

I don’t expect a first 11 at all, I want the big 4 attackers all getting regular starts, the midfield 4 to rotate heavily, we know Conte likes to rotate wing backs. Bring in a top defender (Bremer maybe) and we should have more rotation in defence. We have 4 competitions, our squad is improving (we clearly need a few more smart signings) but we should be having every single player fight for their spot.

I don’t expect a first 11 at all, I want the big 4 attackers all getting regular starts, the midfield 4 to rotate heavily, we know Conte likes to rotate wing backs. Bring in a top defender (Bremer maybe) and we should have more rotation in defence. We have 4 competitions, our squad is improving (we clearly need a few more smart signings) but we should be having every single player fight for their spot.

It's all well and good but I'm sure everyone has an idea of what they think the strongest 11 would be.

It's all well and good but I'm sure everyone has an idea of what they think the strongest 11 would be.
We all assume Lloris, Romero, Bissouma, Kane and Son walk into the side but who knows how the season plays out. No one should ever be guaranteed a starting position, people should earn the right to play in the next game.

Oi.

CarrieFi CarrieFi would join you.

:adethumbup: :levyeyes:
oops, you're right to point that out. At least CarrieFi CarrieFi and I can discuss Love Island in peace!

GIF by Love Island Australia

I have no idea who this is, by the way ;)

For me, Emerson Royal is one of the worst RBs I have ever seen in my life. He offers absolutely nothing - can't cross, can't shoot and his marking is shocking. He floats about on the pitch and relies heavily on the rest of the defence to bail him out every time. Whenever he's defending, he's always 2 metres away from the attacker so doesn't even get close. A complete liability, it's like us playing with 10 men. I would sell him in a shot.

Back to the thread, I can see this team happening at some point which is mouthwatering:

Lloris

Lenglet/Davies
Dier
Romero

Perisic
Hojbjerg/Bissouma
Bentancur
Kulusevski

Son
Kane
Richarlison

Bentacuer no way
As I exclusively predicted months ago, the Bentancur Backlash starts here!

With obligatory misspelling of name included.

Expect to see the following:

- What does he actually do?
- References to sideways passes
- Some type of "Latino Winks" type slur.

And so on and so forth.

As I exclusively predicted months ago, the Bentancur Backlash starts here!

With obligatory misspelling of name included.

Expect to see the following:

- What does he actually do?
- References to sideways passes
- Some type of "Latino Winks" type slur.

And so on and so forth.
I really rate him, he’s a tremendous player but I also rate Skipp and Bissouma highly and as much as I think PEH is overrated, he was excellent alongside Benta in the second half of the season.

I don’t think any of those four are guaranteed starters personally - certainly wasn’t a backlash far from it

Back
Top Bottom