Spurs thoughts.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rubbish performance tonight and frustrating that the only thing that got me up and into the game was supporting Sherwood's passion against their manager. The guy is clearly inexperienced when it comes to managerial qualities like picking a team to play against an opposition, having a plan B, and generally having any tactics whatsoever. We got beat by a far better team tonight; No argument. What made them a better team than us is they have the fundamental qualities a match-winning team has; Solid defending, players who know their roles, understanding of positioning on set pieces (Really? Did Lennon really need to make a one-man wall for their third, being the shortest guy on the pitch. Are people put on the front post for a reason at corners? To try and head the ball perhaps?).
The thing that hacks me off the most is we see zero communication and finger-pointing (Yes, it's shit to see but at least it shows passion) when we do concede. I'm totally seeing what Sherwood is getting at with his recent quotes about people being too nice. These players are paid to do a job and if/when someone screws up, they need to know about it, to stop them doing it again.
Where to go from here? This season has without a doubt been the least entertaining one in recent years. I've been a fan since the eighties, so I've seen my fair share of rubbish seasons. Last year we sold Bale, who made our season, and we all knew it would take times for things to gel. The worrying thing is we've barely come close to replacing him in terms of creativity and goal-scoring. Even more worrying is most of us haven't a clue what our starting XI should be. Isn't Townsend a dangerous player? Surely he should've come on for Kane tonight.
I can't see Sherwood keeping the job. I kinda hope he does so at least we can build on something.

I'm sure I'm typing things that people have posted or thought and I apologise for that. I always follow this forum and tonight felt like the right time to post.
Today I was asked to write a piece of writing entitled 'What is my passion?' for a new job. My first thoughts were Tottenham Hotspur and the album Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen. I'll stand by my original choice and if the manager is a gooner, screw the job.

It's not the losing that gets me down. It's how we're losing and trying to find how we're gonna get out of this.

As always, onwards and upwards Spurs. Good to hear the Lane in full voice tonight. Let's get behind the team on Sunday. COYS.

Just have to see it as an experience that will make next year sweeter (I hope).

If we go out of the Europa at last 16 then I will put on my 'better than losing 10-0 in a final' hat, full of complete ignorance and self-meditation.

As with most games, we could have easily won, but for some strange play across the pitch. Shit marking, again seeing Lennon lack end product...

...but first time in a while it's only been three. Could have been worse.

Benfica are an organized team who have had a manager for five seasons and have played together a lot. They are comfortable with each other and in their lineup, formation, and tactics. Also, they only went out of CL because of GD. They are a great side and even if we were in form would be an incredibly tough matchup.

As for us, we are all over the place. Not just because of Tim but because of spotty individual performances, injuries, and just no one having a clue on what our starting 11 should be. We have a long way to go. It's pretty clear there is no quick fix to get us going again and we have a lot that needs to be done. We have to smart this offseason in regards to player acquisition and our manager. We need to actually buy players that fit a role we are lacking and that fit into our squad.

Completely agree with your points. Why did Kane start? Why do we not play a consistent system? So many questions.....

Credit to Benfica, they are a class side. But we should at least be able to field a LB who can cross with his left peg. Or have Lennon do more than forwards/backwords/forwards/backwords with the occasional about turn and limp dribbling shot. We have a team of talented individuals, who as a sum, are playing well below their collective potential. They need guidance. It is blatantly obvious.

I maintain however, I'm baffled that Kane started, unless Sherwood was implementing a scorched earth policy similar to Saddam fleeing Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom