Spurs Questions of the Day/Week - Trivia Awesomeness etc..

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: Spurs Questions of the Day/Week - Trivia Awesomeness etc

I see two problems with your answer. First, it wasn't the first game of the season, and second we lost 2-1 not won 2-1 ! However you have the correct season.

It was the first game of the season and we won 2-1. Who did we play against and who are the missing players?

Blanchflower said:
2. Cliff Jones iirc

Yes! Cliff Jones got 10 hattricks.

2 left from the 30s.

One was the first player to move directly from Spurs to Woolwich since the nomads moved to Highbury.

The other is not as well known but scored over 100 goals for Spurs between 1932 and 1939.

zin said:
I see two problems with your answer. First, it wasn't the first game of the season, and second we lost 2-1 not won 2-1 ! However you have the correct season.
:harryfacepalm: I blame a combination of: it's morning; someone said Everton, so that jumped out at me; the search results were in reverse chronological order. I saw 'Everton' and '2–1' and peed on myself.

I love this headline...!

The Times (London)

August 21 1989, Monday

Spurs have yet to awaken from summer hibernation; Football

BYLINE: STUART JONES, Football Correspondent

SECTION: Issue 63478.

LENGTH: 584 words

Tottenham Hotspur 2 Luton Town 1

White Hart Lane, Tottenham Hotspur and Gary Lineker were not ready for this start to the season. When the rebuilding of the East Stand, on which the cockerel used to perch, and of the team is completed, the club's followers will have something to crow about on and off the pitch.

On Saturday there was not enough room to accommodate all the customers, nor enough interest to convince those who were admitted (only 17,608) that they were more fortunate. The fixture, littered seemingly with thousands of offside decisions, was depressingly dreary and soporific.

Luton Town did not want it to be any other way. Ray Harford, their manager, had planned 'to slow them down and keep the crowd quiet.' Many may feel that his limited ambition is inexcusable but, with his comparatively meagre resources, he cannot afford to be involved in the entertainment business.

During his appraisal, he unwittingly described the essence of his side. He repeatedly applauded his men for 'working hard.' With few exceptions, they are labourers. With the wild Kennedy and Williams in the line-up, they are potentially heavy-handed as well. Kennedy, predictably, was booked, but merely for dissent.

Wegerle, without the injured Mick Harford to assist him, was their lone figure of enterprise. Recognizing, perhaps, that he represented Luton's adventure, he was occasionally too selfish, but he scored their goal seconds after the interval and earned the admiration of Terry Venables. Tottenham's manager compared him to Roy of the Rovers.

The soubriquet did not apply to Lineker. The contribution of England's centre forward during his debut could scarcely have been less distinguished. He admitted later that he has not yet been able to readjust to the unremitting pace of the English game or to the absence of a sweeper.

The influence of Gascoigne, though he did create Tottenham's opening goal with a typically measured free kick, was also minimal. Although he naturally displays a rare sense of fun, he can still be too easily provoked into unnecessary indiscretions. Cautioned with Wilson for scuffling, he departed prematurely.

Stewart, too, would benefit from a tighter self-discipline and there were indications that he is learning the lesson. Ignoring a series of painful challenges which bordered on the illegitimate, he headed Tottenham into the lead on the half-hour and was responsible for Allen bundling in the belated winner.

Both goals were the product of set-pieces, confirmation that Tottenham's ideas were almost as dull as their opponents'. The promising Sedgley, whose first appearance was deliberately delayed for 70 minutes, and Walsh did eventually enliven them, and decisively so, but the void left by Waddle is unlikely to be filled.

Had he not been tempted to leave, Tottenham would be regarded as genuine contenders. They might still be. Venables was justifiably encouraged that his team collected three points while warming up. They will not return to their refurbished home for a month. They and their ground should then be properly prepared.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR: E Thorstvedt; G Butters, G Bergsson, T Fenwick, D Howells, G Mabbutt, V Samways (sub: S Sedgley), P Gascoigne (sub: P Walsh), P Stewart, G Lineker, P Allen.

LUTON TOWN: A Chamberlain; T Breacker, D McDonough, D Beaumont, J Dreyer, D Wilson, S Williams (sub: R Harvey), D Preece (sub: I Dowie), K Black, R Wegerle, M Kennedy.

Referee: T Holbrook.

ok the other 2 for question 2) were George Hunt and Johnny Morrison

3) it was Bale not Parker.

Will whip up some new ones.

1) Name these current and former Spurs players.

a)
rFN6c.jpg

b)
v8rPw.jpg
c)
Rnl6B.jpg

2) Tom Huddlestone and Calum Davenport scored, but who were we playing and who were their team mates?

[formation=4-4-2 GK=Robinson D=xxx Davenport xxxx xxxxxxxxx DM= M=xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxx Huddlestone xxxxx AM= S=xxxxxxxx Defoe][/formation]

3) Which Premier League season saw Spurs win the least amount of points vs clubs that were newly promoted?

4) Which players have worn the number 15 shirt for Tottenham in the Premier League era?

5) Excluding replays and second legs, how many cup finals have Spurs been involved in and how many have they won?

6) Which team has failed to convert the most penalties in the Premier League era?

2 = Man City. Lee, King, Chimbonda, Jenas, Davids, Malbranque, Berbatov

3 = 2010/2011

4 = Keane, Crouch, Saha

6 = Liverpool

YidoBuckler said:
2 = Man City. Lee, King, Chimbonda, Jenas, Davids, Malbranque, Berbatov

3 = 2010/2011

4 = Keane, Crouch, Saha

6 = Liverpool

3 & 6 no, 4 yes... 2 yes but not Jenas and Davids.

is it 20 finals....9 FA Cup, 3 in Europe, 8 League Cup?....I think I am wrong...15 wins?

Dannyboy said:
is it 20 finals....9 FA Cup, 3 in Europe, 8 League Cup?....I think I am wrong...15 wins?

I think 20 is right, but it's 9 FA cup, 4 Europe & 7 league cup with 15 wins?

fatfish said:
1) a) Simon Dawkins
b) Jason Cundy
c) Mark Falco

b) and c) are correct. a) is incorrect.

Éperons said:
zin said:
2 yes but not Jenas and Davids.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 164455.stm

Taino and Ghaly.

Yup.

Loz said:
Didn't Jamie Redknapp wear 15?
Dannyboy said:
Oh, and Ronny wore 15 I think, or did against Southampton in the FA Cup

Jamie did. Ronny wore 11 & 16.

fatfish said:
Dannyboy said:

I think 20 is right, but it's 9 FA cup, 4 Europe & 7 league cup with 15 wins?

Correct. Nice one.

yiddo2786 said:
6 I think is us?

Is not.

Back
Top Bottom