Southampton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah he also mentioned how the youth teams are all playing the same formation and requirements that the senior side play, so if they're called up for a seniors match the transition is as easy as it can be, all you can do after that is hope nerves aren't too much of an issue.

I would have thought this was a common approach, to have teams play the same system from the seniors to the under 16's, but I haven't seen this mentioned with Spurs yet.

It is worth noting that two massive influences in the Southampton youth set up, Jason Dodd and Paul Shaw were sacked this summer for 'not spending enough time with players' whatever that means. The fact they have left and the system continues (although it has been a very short period of time, perhaps their sackings could be better judged in 12-18 months) says much about the entire staffs understanding and implementation of the youth system.

They are an example that other clubs should be looking to emulate.

Saints ST holder here, do not usually comment on other fans forums but I was browsing prior to our game at the weekend and found this thread and thought I would share what I know, heard, read, etc.
What happened in the summer was a shock to us all and to be honest most of us were bricking it and felt sick, confused, angry etc. The board however did tell us (whilst the press was doom mongering and some others were stirring it) that we should wait until the close of the transfer window before judging them and the board were pretty consistent with their message in fairness to them, always stating that we would get a good manager as a replacement and they would reinvest the money, but they needed time to get things in place and our patience. They were right.
With regards to how the club are run, previous posters are correct, the different levels of the academy all play in a similar way, formation and style, specifically to make the transition to the senior side that much smoother, allowing the academy players step up with far less risk. That is why Southampton can blood more youth players, they already know the formation and have been playing it for years (just before they actually step up they will have been training with the first team for a while).
Also correct is the fact that the first team manager of Southampton is expected to play with a certain style, to fit in with the ethos and how the club and have been training its players. The whole point being that you can lose managers, players, experience, etc. but you always have the attacking style and players experienced in it, because every part of the club is geared to that and the individual can be replaced but the system continues.
We are proud of the academy of course (there are a number of satellite academies as well), what is not mentioned so much is the scouting. The scouting network is huge, there is an enormous amount of staff whose jobs are just to collate all the videos collected / taken of players. That was also mentioned by the board in the summer (but not in any of the papers), replacements are identified for when we lose players, with video files on their play. Especially ones that should fit in with our system. Their are occasional aberrations, i.e. Pochettino insisting on Osvaldo, Cortese seeming to adore Ramirez, but generally the scouting network is trusted to identify and bring in the replacements, to minimize the risk. Koeman insisted we sign Pelle I believe, which seems to have worked out quite well as well.
Anyway, to conclude, consistent training in Strategy and style through the academy ages making it far easier for players to step up and into the first team, good facilities, not relying on individuals but trusting in the system (i.e. the manager can be replaced but the general style of play continues, obviously there is some room for the manager to make some adjustments), and a huge and detailed scouting network that has already identified replacements but generally trawls and has videos on players in matches all over the world, at all levels. The first 11 are just a tiny part of the club, but they are the ones that people usually see. Having said all that, had the owner just walked away after all the sales and took the money with her, we would have been in trouble, so there is always a weakness, no matter how much infrastructure there is behind the scenes.
Hopefully I have not bored you, sorry for posting on your forum but it is in relation to the thread and I hopefully it has filled in a few gaps in knowledge of how Southampton are run. It is still early in the season, obviously happy that we are second in the league, but a long way to go.

Saints ST holder here, do not usually comment on other fans forums but I was browsing prior to our game at the weekend and found this thread and thought I would share what I know, heard, read, etc.
What happened in the summer was a shock to us all and to be honest most of us were bricking it and felt sick, confused, angry etc. The board however did tell us (whilst the press was doom mongering and some others were stirring it) that we should wait until the close of the transfer window before judging them and the board were pretty consistent with their message in fairness to them, always stating that we would get a good manager as a replacement and they would reinvest the money, but they needed time to get things in place and our patience. They were right.
With regards to how the club are run, previous posters are correct, the different levels of the academy all play in a similar way, formation and style, specifically to make the transition to the senior side that much smoother, allowing the academy players step up with far less risk. That is why Southampton can blood more youth players, they already know the formation and have been playing it for years (just before they actually step up they will have been training with the first team for a while).
Also correct is the fact that the first team manager of Southampton is expected to play with a certain style, to fit in with the ethos and how the club and have been training its players. The whole point being that you can lose managers, players, experience, etc. but you always have the attacking style and players experienced in it, because every part of the club is geared to that and the individual can be replaced but the system continues.
We are proud of the academy of course (there are a number of satellite academies as well), what is not mentioned so much is the scouting. The scouting network is huge, there is an enormous amount of staff whose jobs are just to collate all the videos collected / taken of players. That was also mentioned by the board in the summer (but not in any of the papers), replacements are identified for when we lose players, with video files on their play. Especially ones that should fit in with our system. Their are occasional aberrations, i.e. Pochettino insisting on Osvaldo, Cortese seeming to adore Ramirez, but generally the scouting network is trusted to identify and bring in the replacements, to minimize the risk. Koeman insisted we sign Pelle I believe, which seems to have worked out quite well as well.
Anyway, to conclude, consistent training in Strategy and style through the academy ages making it far easier for players to step up and into the first team, good facilities, not relying on individuals but trusting in the system (i.e. the manager can be replaced but the general style of play continues, obviously there is some room for the manager to make some adjustments), and a huge and detailed scouting network that has already identified replacements but generally trawls and has videos on players in matches all over the world, at all levels. The first 11 are just a tiny part of the club, but they are the ones that people usually see. Having said all that, had the owner just walked away after all the sales and took the money with her, we would have been in trouble, so there is always a weakness, no matter how much infrastructure there is behind the scenes.
Hopefully I have not bored you, sorry for posting on your forum but it is in relation to the thread and I hopefully it has filled in a few gaps in knowledge of how Southampton are run. It is still early in the season, obviously happy that we are second in the league, but a long way to go.
Thanks for your post mate, I get your accadamy is great but no way Pardew, Adkins then Poch had you play the same way, all 3 had you playing completely different styles. I agree that Koman looks to have continuity with Poch's team.

Southampton have one tough run in, 7 of there next 10 fixtures are man city home, Woolwich away, man United home, everton home, chelsea home, Woolwich home and man united away, mostly home games though, but will give a good indication of how good this team really is.

Southampton have one tough run in, 7 of there next 10 fixtures are man city home, Woolwich away, man United home, everton home, chelsea home, Woolwich home and man united away, mostly home games though, but will give a good indication of how good this team really is.
Very true mate,but i would,nt bet against them,but by that time he could be coaching us,if you know the history!!!!!!

Yeah he also mentioned how the youth teams are all playing the same formation and requirements that the senior side play, so if they're called up for a seniors match the transition is as easy as it can be, all you can do after that is hope nerves aren't too much of an issue.

I would have thought this was a common approach, to have teams play the same system from the seniors to the under 16's, but I haven't seen this mentioned with Spurs yet.
AJAX AJAX AJAX AJAX.its tried tested and works,if your lucky you get one batch of young players to mature to senior level within two seasons.then the hawks circle,such is life,once seperated from there long term teammates are they as good,some are and some fail to adjust,and some move in time to greatness Mr bale.

Southampton are one of a very small bunch of clubs that I don't hate.
I have no malice toward them at all, I admire what they have done and the way they have tackled this season can only be commended. They lost so many of their best players that no one gave them a prayer of staying up.
The training methods that Poch bought with him are the main reason we done so well over the Christmas period. He has a great attitude to hard work and has made it clear that if you don't work your Bollocks off you aint in the team, hence the decline of Kaboul and Ade.
Long may it continue.

I remember countering that statement - it's the only thing I've got right this season. :lennonlol:
Fair enough. There was one point in the summer in which I figured Koeman would just throw his hands up and say "You know what, fuck this. I didn't sign on for this shit."

I'm always happy to see a team like Southampton break into the Premier League and do well playing "the right way" like Swansea a few seasons before. Two very well-managed clubs, even if in Southampton's case it seems like that's despite K. Liebherr.

NBC just did a special on Southampton and its worth a watch, especially the stuff about the infamous "Black Box" and the training methods that one would assume Poch has brought along with him

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/pl-download-the-southampton-way/?utm_network=twitter&utm_post=3303585&utm_source=TW @NBCSportsWorld&utm_tags =
Thanks for posting.
The reality is of their available squad only ONE player has broken into the first team with 59 appearances and that is Ward-Prowse. Only 4 other players have come through their academy to be listed in their first team squad but who have notched up only 10 appearances over 2 seasons between them, way to go let's brake out the bunting. I wonder why they had to bring in 15 first team players in the past 2yrs when their academy produces world class footballers as regularly as a chicken lays eggs?
I know the counter argument to this is they have sold all the good ones but need to end the Southampton love-in they sit above us in the league and we need to drive them back into the sea wear they came from.

Really well done exploration about everything that goes on at Southampton and how they run the club from top to bottom. Considering we've now taken Pochettino and Mitchell from them and we've also built a state of the art training facility I think there is a lot in there that can help us understand Spurs better as well. Overall, a good look at the more behind the scenes aspects of a modern football club.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/pl-download-the-southampton-way/

Back
Top Bottom