Should Spurs be happy with fifth?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Aim is to be best placed to break into the money pot that is top 4 and Euro money League. Regular 5th and good cup runs would demonstrate the possibility for this.

I think we should be happy with fifth. Do we want better? Of course.

Top four is occupied by teams who all pay a lot more money then we do, if we manage to break top four then that would be a ridiculously good over-achievement as we have shown in the past, we have been capable.

I think we should be happy with fifth. Do we want better? Of course.

Top four is occupied by teams who all pay a lot more money then we do, if we manage to break top four then that would be a ridiculously good over-achievement as we have shown in the past, we have been capable.
this. we blew so many games last season that could've put us in fourth mathematically #spursy

We played well last season considering we were really average. The difference between us and CL was 6 points and 15 to 2nd, 3 wins.
Really it just takes a team to click to do it, and a bit of luck - something that we seem to have our share of bad. When I look at how Everton, Liverpool did without any European football, as to what they managed with it, I do think that we would have a real chance without EL.
Southampton fell off, but I think if that was us we may have hd the depth to stay on course.
Man U beat us to it by 6 points. If they would have been playing in EL I think 4th would have been well on.
However, it's a chance of a trophy a chance for CL football and we need the revenue. I would prefer if they gave EL equal footing and had each comp on either Tues/Weds. The need for them to screen more CL games is to the detriment of the EL teams. Thursday and Sunday is too much all season. Until they do that it will always be considered a team killer.
I don't think we will win it though. I Have great memories of the UEFA cup final, it should not be turned into the Carling Cup of European football.
I have been going Spurs for a very long time now, and this is the most consistent in the league I have ever seen us.
We were very unlucky that Chavs won the CL when we finished 4th, as that may have been a game changer for us.
I think we should be very satisfied. Of course I want to see us win the title in my lifetime and I want to see us playing CL football each year. However, with the current status quo it's very hard and we must be realistic.
We are going in the right direction. Hopefully I am around to see us do it and see the fall of City and Chavs.

I'm a Levy fan but there is no doubt in my mind that he made 2 fundamental fuck ups that has, at best, stagnated our progress (at worst we've slightly regressed).

1) Summer of 2010 leading to the 10/11 season. We had just qualified for the CL with a very good core and it was time to kick on. It was clear we needed a couple of 'game changer' signings but we brought in Gallas and Sandro. Yes we brought in Van Der Vaart too but that was by complete luck on the final day of the window. He was happy to go into a CL season with just Gallas and Sandro had VDV not fell into his lap...oh what could have been had we invested appropriately.

2) January transfer window of the 11/12 season. Sitting comfortably in 3rd place it was clear we needed reinforcements (in particular a striker and CB). Redknapp made it clear he wanted Samba from Blackburn and/or Loic Remy from Marseille. It was clear Ledley was on his last legs (made evident by his really poor form at the end of that season). Yes it looked like Arry might be off and maybe Levy was reluctant to fork out for players that may not be wanted in the future but the smarter long term move would have been to acquire one (or both) of these targets which would more than likely have seen us through the finishing line in at least 3rd place. Levy decided against it and instead brought in Nelsen and Saha.

so to answer the question we shouldn't be "happy" with 5th but we need to take our chance next time we get these sort of opportunities (which i believe we will do).

there was a window when Woolwich and chelsea were in 'recession' during the 2010-2012 part of this decade, then later on manure and liverpool dropped out, there was always some gap for us to squeeze through to nail down a top 4 finish. but i think because of poor transfer activity, politics , the europa league..we have never been able to capitalize on it.Judging by the top 4's activity they are all much stronger compared to last season. I dont know how the season will unfold but i certainly hope we stop crashing towards march and dropping points to likes ot burnley, watford or whatever teams we should be getting points from

there was a window when Woolwich and chelsea were in 'recession' during the 2010-2012 part of this decade, then later on manure and liverpool dropped out, there was always some gap for us to squeeze through to nail down a top 4 finish. but i think because of poor transfer activity, politics , the europa league..we have never been able to capitalize on it.Judging by the top 4's activity they are all much stronger compared to last season. I dont know how the season will unfold but i certainly hope we stop crashing towards march and dropping points to likes ot burnley, watford or whatever teams we should be getting points from
Actually you just never know.
Everyone thought Man U would be stronger last year with Di Maria, Falcao, Herrera etc. Unbeaten pre season and everyone was creaming their pants at how amazing they looked.
Liverpool also strengthened and were predicted to challenge for the title, again, after fucking it up the year before.
Yet we finished above Liverpool and Man U were only 6 pts better than us, had just the EPL to concentrate on, much more 'quality' & also had their share of luck.
We brought in 3 defenders and a DM to the team. Everyone was not expecting too much last season. We were all wondering where the goals were going to come from.
6th and cup run wasn't it. 6th and a cup great. As it was we finished 5th and had a final.

Yes we should be happy with 5th, we won't get any higher. The next window of oppotunity will be when wenger leaves Woolwich, and even that's not a given as their new manager may hit the ground running.

We won't be playing cl for a long time, if ever, 5th is the highest we can achieve.

The best thing we can do as a club and fans is forget the fucking thing exists as it is of no relevance to us...concentrate on winning trophy's is what's needed.

Yes we should be happy with 5th, we won't get any higher. The next window of oppotunity will be when wenger leaves Woolwich, and even that's not a given as their new manager may hit the ground running.

We won't be playing cl for a long time, if ever, 5th is the highest we can achieve.

The best thing we can do as a club and fans is forget the fucking thing exists as it is of no relevance to us...concentrate on winning trophy's is what's needed.
i agree with you, when Wenger leaves Woolwich i hope they do a United.

They may well do, I hope they do. 4th place might also not be enough to get cl, if they take it away.

I also wish our players wouldn't keep spouting this cl shit during interviews aswell. If they personally believe it deep down, that's great for morale, but don't talk about it during interviews. I cringe whenever I hear one of our players rambling about how we are good enough to be in it.

Back
Top Bottom