Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think I must be the only fan who doesn't think Edwards is all that. Looks like he has some ability but he's so overrated at this stage, in my opinion. Only 17 though, may develop into a superstar.

If we're brutally honest, he's the worst player in our squad.

Which you'd expect. He's 17.

He has a lot of potential but many people are confusing that for current ability.

He has a lot of potential but many people are confusing that for current ability.
Do you honestly think that or are you just saying that to be one of the guys who comes back years down the track and say I told you so?! how many of our current squad can do what he did when he broke into the middle and took that shot? .... worst player we've got, please!

If Edwards is considered in our squad then so is Walkes. I'd take Edwards over Walkes, simply by reputation (I've never seen Walkes play besides than Gillingham game, but i think that's a fair statement).

I think I must be the only fan who doesn't think Edwards is all that. Looks like he has some ability but he's so overrated at this stage, in my opinion. Only 17 though, may develop into a superstar.
I had the same opinion as you, but what I really like is his acceleration from a standing start, his turn of pace.
That's all you need to get away from a marker. And he's got such a small frame, that it would't take much time
in the gym to bulk that out.

Do you honestly think that or are you just saying that to be one of the guys who comes back years down the track and say I told you so?! how many of our current squad can do what he did when he broke into the middle and took that shot? .... worst player we've got, please!

If I had to pick

Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Onomah or GK, then Edwards is getting left out of the squad. There's nothing wrong with that. These players are further down their path of progression and at the moment are simply better.

Edwards needs a year before he gets bench time and is a real squad player.

If I had to pick

Son, Lamela, Eriksen, Alli, Onomah or GK, then Edwards is getting left out of the squad. There's nothing wrong with that. These players are further down their path of progression and at the moment are simply better.

Edwards needs a year before he gets bench time and is a real squad player.
Fair enough, good problem to have and there is nothing wrong with that! I feel like he'll be gradually introduced but I can see him making the bench/squad over some of the older crew! either way, exciting and the future is looking good! I honestly don't know why or how our academy isn't talked about by the media! our academy and SOTA facilities should be and are the envy of other clubs,'producing quality premier league players!

I hope that we liaise closely with Barcelona regarding growth hormone treatments to ensure he becomes Messi, I hope Poch's Espanyol days don't hinder our chances of receiving medical advice.

giphy.gif
We've just announced a medical partnership with a Qatari organisation.

Club announces Aspetar partnership 21 September 2016 - News - tottenhamhotspur.com

I'm sure they wouldn't have any illicit ways of making Marcus shoot up.

vyvHAj0.gif

I feel like he'll be gradually introduced but I can see him making the bench/squad over some of the older crew!

His main issue is going to be that the bench spot is probably going to be Alli/Son, who are a few years older than him and still developing themselves. He's going to have to either really push himself and develop very quickly, impress during a match he starts, go out on loan to somewhere that will look after him or hope for an injury to team mates.

He's got a lot of time on his side though.

he's the worst player in our squad.

Ok

He has a lot of potential but many people are confusing that for current ability

How else are you to judge?

Edwards needs a year before he gets bench time

Thats very precise.

If I had to pick

Thank Poch you don't.

hope for an injury to team mates.

That would be fortunate for him?

I agree he is not ready for regular first team football but there is no reason why he cant feature on the bench. Just by being there will develop him and he may get opportunity to come on. Football these days is more suited for a player as him than it ever has been. Football today allow players like him to flourish.

How else are you to judge?

People are confusing his future for the present. He 'could' be future Messi. Yet a lot of people are having an orgasm over anything he does at the present, even when it's not noteworthy.

why he cant feature on the bench.

It's the 65th minute. You trail 2-1 in a final. Do you want that bench spot to be taken by a £30 mil player, one of the best in Germany in Son? Or how about young player of the year, 10 goals and 10 assists Alli? Or how about 0 goal, 0 goal,lots of potential Edwards?

He can't feature on the bench because he would take up a spot which a vastly superior, older and more experienced player could have. I'm all for him being involved in the squad, it's just very tough when his competition is older, still young, still developing and at present simply better.

Let's just hope he is patient if he doesn't get the playing time this season.....
Still anything is possible, who would have thought a similar aged academy player would be replacing shrek at Man U......

running past a few league 1 players who were 5-0 down and already back in the changing room and getting off a decent shot. That is literally all this is yet I've seen it everywhere as if he's the 2nd coming
Our manager has compared him to Messi. Poch is the one bloke who should know the quality of the lad.

He's also been excellent for the U23's at 17.

It's a bit more than just that play.

People are confusing his future for the present. He 'could' be future Messi. Yet a lot of people are having an orgasm over anything he does at the present, even when it's not noteworthy.
I agree with here and now and he is not at first team level although there is nothing wrong in enjoying the lads football. Some may over excite themselves but they understand where he is now as a player.
It's the 65th minute. You trail 2-1 in a final. Do you want that bench spot to be taken by a £30 mil player, one of the best in Germany in Son? Or how about young player of the year, 10 goals and 10 assists Alli? Or how about 0 goal, 0 goal,lots of potential Edwards?

He can't feature on the bench because he would take up a spot which a vastly superior, older and more experienced player could have. I'm all for him being involved in the squad, it's just very tough when his competition is older, still young, still developing and at present simply better.

Yes (as you say) but, If we were winning 3 nil against anyone with 15 minutes to go, I would bring him on and give him run out.

Our manager has compared him to Messi. Poch is the one bloke who should know the quality of the lad.

He's also been excellent for the U23's at 17.

It's a bit more than just that play.
I just feel like we've been here before with certain youngsters getting bigged up by Spurs fans who have a bit of a following then them not turning into anything special, I dunno I'm just not buying into the hype yet

Back
Top Bottom