Saving private Ryan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sorry, I would take your questions more seriously if we weren't debating whether Vertonghen is a better defender than Rose. Lets try to be more serious, Gascoigne verses Ruel Fox. I know one of them played centrally and one on the left. Is there anyway we could make a comparison between their footballing talents or would the stats not allow it?
And once again you're trying to dance away. If you don't have anything further to say, then try doing that. You wanted to claim Vertonghen is a better defender than Rose. I said that I don't think it's fair to try and use that word to compare two guys who actually play different positions, and so have different responsibilities on pitch. You've spent the last several posts trying to claim that either they don't actually do anything different, or that Vertonghen had played the same position in the past, and that made him better right now, when they aren't playing the same positions, or that we should just bow to your evident knowledge and eye-test, because, well, you haven't really gotten to the why yet. I asked you what a left back does, since you seem to feel so strongly that player roles don't matter. You still haven't been able to answer this.

Let's try it again. What does a left back do? If you want it more specific, what does Pochettino ask his left backs (and right backs) to do? If you want to be more broad, what do fullbacks do in contemporary professional football? If you don't want to try and answer, just say so.

And once again you're trying to dance away. If you don't have anything further to say, then try doing that. You wanted to claim Vertonghen is a better defender than Rose. I said that I don't think it's fair to try and use that word to compare two guys who actually play different positions, and so have different responsibilities on pitch. You've spent the last several posts trying to claim that either they don't actually do anything different, or that Vertonghen had played the same position in the past, and that made him better right now, when they aren't playing the same positions, or that we should just bow to your evident knowledge and eye-test, because, well, you haven't really gotten to the why yet. I asked you what a left back does, since you seem to feel so strongly that player roles don't matter. You still haven't been able to answer this.

Let's try it again. What does a left back do? If you want it more specific, what does Pochettino ask his left backs (and right backs) to do? If you want to be more broad, what do fullbacks do in contemporary professional football? If you don't want to try and answer, just say so.
You're asking me all these questions. I still want you to answer my question. Can I say that Gazza was a better player than Ruel Fox? Or because they play different positions would that be showing my ignorance of the finer details of modern football statistical analysis? Your answer should also answer your own questions

You're asking me all these questions. I still want you to answer my question. Can I say that Gazza was a better player than Ruel Fox? Or because they play different positions would that be showing my ignorance of the finer details of modern football statistical analysis? Your answer should also answer your own questions
If Gazza versus Fox is too difficult. How about Hoddle versus Andy Sinton? King versus Justin Edinburgh?

You stay classy, Jeremy.

You aren't going to answer any of my questions? Classless. Seeing as you probably have only been watching football this decade. I will answer them for you. Gazza was better than Fox, Hoddle was better than Sinton, King was better than Edinburgh, Vertonghen is better than Rose
Once again, what does a left back do?

Once again, what does a left back do?

Left backs play on the left side of the defence, these days they have quite a varied role. Their main job is to stop the opposition attacking in wide areas, and to support the central defenders. Also the modern defender will often venture beyond the halfway line - unheard of until relatively recently. They play an important role in supporting their team's own attack by pushing forward to supply crosses.

JeremyPaxton JeremyPaxton Paul Gascoigne was a better footballer than Ruel Fox.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Jeremy, you have hit the nail on the head mate. It's not hard to tell the difference between people that have played the game and people that just watch their laptops.
Give up mate, they won't listen.

Left backs play on the left side of the defence, these days they have quite a varied role. Their main job is to stop the opposition attacking in wide areas, and to support the central defenders. Also the modern defender will often venture beyond the halfway line - unheard of until relatively recently. They play an important role in supporting their team's own attack by pushing forward to supply crosses.

JeremyPaxton JeremyPaxton Paul Gascoigne was a better footballer than Ruel Fox.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
This is why some people were actually sad when Joe got sin-binned.

Jeremy, you have hit the nail on the head mate. It's not hard to tell the difference between people that have played the game and people that just watch their laptops.
Give up mate, they won't listen.
He's a classic stat-obsessed Yank with zero contextal understanding - I blame American Football

Back
Top Bottom