Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ade saved our season and gave us a chance at 4th. Lets write him off because he made one mistake.

Write him off? No. That's not writing someone off, it's called being a manager with a backbone. That wasn't a slip or a shitty pass. He was in a wall AND HE FUCKING TURNED WHEN THE BALL WAS COMING AT HIM!!! I've known had to stand in a wall since I was FIVE. Stand there, take the hit, they don't score unless they get the rebound. Other than how to set up for a corner kick it's one of the most basic things you learn.

Write him off? No. That's not writing someone off, it's called being a manager with a backbone. That wasn't a slip or a shitty pass. He was in a wall AND HE FUCKING TURNED WHEN THE BALL WAS COMING AT HIM!!! I've known had to stand in a wall since I was FIVE. Stand there, take the hit, they don't score unless they get the rebound. Other than how to set up for a corner kick it's one of the most basic things you learn.

I agree. It was some pussy ass'd shit of the highest order. Let him make it up to us.

Easily our worst summer signing. Everyone else has at least had flashes of showing why the club spent big on them (or little in Chadli's case, I guess), but Soldado has looked like complete shit all season.

A 20 million pound striker that's become so much of an afterthought that this thread hasn't been active for over a month. Shame. He'll find some success in another league maybe, but this is one the club should absolutely try to sell or use as a makeweight for another player.

Easily our worst summer signing. Everyone else has at least had flashes of showing why the club spent big on them (or little in Chadli's case, I guess), but Soldado has looked like complete shit all season.

A 20 million pound striker that's become so much of an afterthought that this thread hasn't been active for over a month. Shame. He'll find some success in another league maybe, but this is one the club should absolutely try to sell or use as a makeweight for another player.

I'm inclined to disagree about selling him. Let's see how he does under different management. His biggest problem is that there's really no one consistently feeding him good passes. Sure, he has missed some easy ones. I think that the summer off will do him some good.

I'm gonna give the man a bye for this year, he's moved to a new country, his girlfriend had a miscarriage shortly after he arrived and adding that to being out of form I can only imagine how shot his state of mind is at the moment. Hopefully a couple of months off and a bit of confidence instilled in him by a new manager and he can still be a 20+ goal striker. Flashes of quality around the box and positionally he's doing it right but he's fluffed many of his chances. As I said I'd love for him to come good next year. He does leave it all out there on the pitch.

I'm gonna give the man a bye for this year, he's moved to a new country, his girlfriend had a miscarriage shortly after he arrived and adding that to being out of form I can only imagine how shot his state of mind is at the moment. Hopefully a couple of months off and a bit of confidence instilled in him by a new manager and he can still be a 20+ goal striker. Flashes of quality around the box and positionally he's doing it right but he's fluffed many of his chances. As I said I'd love for him to come good next year. He does leave it all out there on the pitch.

I backed him hardcore up until Dec where I could not handle his back to goal crabbing he was doing. Yes our buildup was shocking, but he did not have an answer for it. He made the same predictable runs, positioning over and over and could not adjust to a single players style under AVB.

I've never been so wrong about a player, and I am about as hardcore as it gets for not knee jerking or giving the benefit of the doubt because we had terrible managers, wingers etc.

Also he only puts out maximum effort when he's had multiple stinkers and gets angry. And then he's blood and guts and shanks at it even more but he gets a thumbs up from the effort brigade.

He has been a disaster. It's at the point where I was thinking who the fuck was setting him up for so many seasons and lets get them.

I don't understand how anyone could ever think he'll be a 20+ goal striker in the premier league. He very obviously lacks the physical presence to be that dominant of a striker in a league that practically demands its strikers be athletically capable. Couple that with his sub-par speed and dribbling, and you've got yourself a player most of the behemoth central defenders in this league probably can't wait to face. Not to mention his numerous egregious misses that would make Torres cringe. Then again, for whatever reason, he always seems to get a pass while everyone goes off and shits on every other summer signing besides Eriksen. When pricetag, expectation and number of appearances come into play, this guy has clearly been our worst signing. I'm not saying he can't and won't ever be successful again, just that he probably won't do it for us or any other team in the BPL.

Oh....and Harry Kane has scored more from open play in the league this year, so there's that.

I'm inclined to disagree about selling him. Let's see how he does under different management. His biggest problem is that there's really no one consistently feeding him good passes. Sure, he has missed some easy ones. I think that the summer off will do him some good.

If he'd knocked in all those easy ones (and there were quite a fuckin lot), would we really be complaining about his service? You really can't put the blame on anyone else besides Soldado. The number of times he's missed from his 'spot' this season has been downright embarrassing.

He just needs a manager who knows what he's doing and can both structure a team that plays to Soldado's strengths and knows how to lift the player's confidence.

He's a player who is pushing 30 and has little resale value compared to what we paid for him, devalued even more by his poor season. I think it's just as worth keeping him around and hoping that he comes good than getting rid of him for someone else who, again, will need to settle into the side. Ideally we can keep him on our books and draft in another striker.

He has been a square peg in a round hole for us this year and I completely agree he hasn't set the world alight this year. Hopefully the next manager knows how to get the best out of him, probably not involving inverted wingers and a high line without pressing. I can see why people question his finishing as it has been pants this season but his movement is still phenomenal, just needs confidence.

Soldado may be a good player in a team set up to press high and provide accurate crosses into the box to. We aren't set up that way , Lennon and Townsend are shite and can't cross an accurate ball into the box, Same goes for Chadli. Soldado is a 'fox in the box', A bit one dimensional, not reknown in la liga for his hold up play or contribution outside the box. This is the player our genius scouts bought.
We have never benefited from good wing play hence the need for a complete striker like Adebayor who is not reliant on the players around him to score. We have to build this team to start creating the type of chances soldado will slot away, if it isn't the case then the transfer has been a flop and he has to move on to a team that can fit his style of play.

Adebayor rarely ever creates his own chances. Most of his goals are from crosses/passes. Somehow soldado suffers from service but adebayor doesnt. There is no reason to keep this guy if we can get 10m back at least.

Adebayor rarely ever creates his own chances. Most of his goals are from crosses/passes. Somehow soldado suffers from service but adebayor doesnt. There is no reason to keep this guy if we can get 10m back at least.
I disagree.

Soldado started off the season linking up very well but AVB tried to make the wingers the main threat with them cutting inside. This stopped him from getting many chances, by the time things changed and he had more chances his confidence was destroyed and he was snatching. I really don't believe it is Soldado's fault he had a shit season.

Back
Top Bottom