Roberto Soldado

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed. Soldado's main asset is his intelligent movement - therefore someone like Berbatov is ideal for him to be partnered with.

I know he's been a bit off form but the hate he's getting on this thread is very strange. Was listening to the game podcast this week and Tony Cascarino (who is a wally admittedly) made a good point about Suarez at the moment and the fans getting behind him. Essentially his point was that if you're allowed to miss a sitter and the fans are cheering you on rather than moaning and groaning it gives you the confidence to try more audacious things.

I think where he is struggling his 1) Physical strength 2) Ability to hold up the ball 3)Pace . So if his main assest is intelligence and movement then ideally he will need intelligent players to read his movements ie: Lamela, Eriksen and Holtby.but simple tim wouldn't know any of that.

I think where he is struggling his 1) Physical strength 2) Ability to hold up the ball 3)Pace . So if his main assest is intelligence and movement then ideally he will need intelligent players to read his movements ie: Lamela, Eriksen and Holtby.but simple tim wouldn't know any of that.
Personally, I thought his hold-up was one of the few strong aspects against Hull (in a sea of utter mediocrity)

Last edited:

Hence why he was so prolific under AVB....:sherwoodlol:

Personally, I thought his hold-up was one of the few strong aspects against Hull (in a sea of utter mediocrity)

Hull are a side properly organised. It is not a surprise they grinded out a draw against us ,we had to beat them on both occasions early this season through penalties. Problem for me was in midfield, Sherwood's lovechild bentaleb dosen't do a good enough job at helping us win the midfield battle. I have seen Soldado's hold up play and it is odd to say the least. He needs tobe facing goal deep in the opponents half and being off the end of accurate diagonal crosses. Did we really just spend £26m on a one dimensional poacher?:paulinhofacepalm:

Hull are a side properly organised. It is not a surprise they grinded out a draw against us ,we had to beat them on both occasions early this season through penalties. Problem for me was in midfield, Sherwood's lovechild bentaleb dosen't do a good enough job at helping us win the midfield battle. I have seen Soldado's hold up play and it is odd to say the least. He needs tobe facing goal deep in the opponents half and being off the end of accurate diagonal crosses. Did we really just spend £26m on a one dimensional poacher?:paulinhofacepalm:

The frustrating thing was he often received the ball in a position in which he was up against 1 isolated defender, yet there was no part of him that thought about taking him on.

I'm not talking Townsending the fuck into full backs, but a little variety would be decent.

The frustrating thing was he often received the ball in a position in which he was up against 1 isolated defender, yet there was no part of him that thought about taking him on.

I'm not talking Townsending the fuck into full backs, but a little variety would be decent.

I think he lacks both the pace and the dribbling ability...tbh the most frustrating thing about his performance was he wasn't in the box enough and nor did he make his usual runs behind the defence...

Here's a good article breaking down soldado's recent performances...I hope he can turn it around

http://www.squawka.com/news/2014/02...gone-wrong-for-roberto-soldado/2014020565066?

Thinking its time to turn the page on the waiting till he turns things around. His ability in front of the net has somehow gotten worse over the last few months and is so wasteful. That Hull game was yet another example. Two glorious chances which resulted in a ball 10 feet over the goal and a ball straight at the Keeper.

Thinking its best to simply eat the loss immediately, move him back to Spain and invest in better option for next year. Easier said then done obviously, but Spurs should start exploring this avenue immediately.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it tough to be at all optimistic with the combo of the poor finishing plus a bad fit for the Prem.

He is a quality striker, there's no doubt, but something isn't working. He was bought to score goals and he's not delivering. I am/was a huge Soldado admirer having watched a lot of La Liga, but we cannot deny at the moment it's a failure.

Unless there is a significant improvement in the next few games we need to be looking at maybe; Benteke, Remy, or Michu. In fact, now JD is going we should be looking at 1 of those 3 anyway. Just my thoughts.

Benteke would suit our need based on current players and style absolutely perfectly, but I'd also take Remy just as well. With AVB expressing zero confidence in Ade and Defoe doing his typical thing, I was surprised we didn't pursue him anyway after snagging Soldado.

How do we get Soldado into the starting 11 for the run in, or don't we?

Would this work...........

4-1-3-1-1. Soldado playing slightly deeper to Ade, linking up with Eriksen, making his direct goal bound runs from deeper and on occasion drifting out wide right to supply crosses for Ade.

Sandro (when fit) in front of the back 4. The 3 Dembele or Paulie, Eriksen and Bentaleb. Width from Walker/Rose. Soldado in front of the 3 and behind Ade. I think possibly his intelligent movement in that position could cause problems create space and chances. For himself, Ade and the 3 behind him. If he was given that brief, then maybe he would feel less pressured (if that's the problem?) to find the net every week. A Dalglish (even Saurez) type of role. Albeit that these 2 did and do find the back of the net each week!!

I would just like to see, what is a very talented player, given (after his recent exclusion) another crack!

COYS!!

How do we get Soldado into the starting 11 for the run in, or don't we?

Would this work...........

4-1-3-1-1. Soldado playing slightly deeper to Ade, linking up with Eriksen, making his direct goal bound runs from deeper and on occasion drifting out wide right to supply crosses for Ade.

Sandro (when fit) in front of the back 4. The 3 Dembele or Paulie, Eriksen and Bentaleb. Width from Walker/Rose. Soldado in front of the 3 and behind Ade. I think possibly his intelligent movement in that position could cause problems create space and chances. For himself, Ade and the 3 behind him. If he was given that brief, then maybe he would feel less pressured (if that's the problem?) to find the net every week. A Dalglish (even Saurez) type of role. Albeit that these 2 did and do find the back of the net each week!!

I would just like to see, what is a very talented player, given (after his recent exclusion) another crack!

COYS!!
Soldado should never be played behind anyone. He is a poacher and needs to be told to hang on the end of other defenders and get in the box. All of his goals last season for Valencia came inside the box. When he starts dropping back or drifting wide, he is not a goal threat. He is a good passer and pretty good at holding up play, but when he is in the box and getting on the end of crosses and through balls, he can be deadly. Now, he isn't finishing like he was for Valencia which is part of the problem, but I don't believe that he forgot how to finish. If he can get a few first touch, poacher's goals to get him some confidence, I believe that we'll start to see the old Soldado.

Soldado should never be played behind anyone. He is a poacher and needs to be told to hang on the end of other defenders and get in the box. All of his goals last season for Valencia came inside the box. When he starts dropping back or drifting wide, he is not a goal threat. He is a good passer and pretty good at holding up play, but when he is in the box and getting on the end of crosses and through balls, he can be deadly. Now, he isn't finishing like he was for Valencia which is part of the problem, but I don't believe that he forgot how to finish. If he can get a few first touch, poacher's goals to get him some confidence, I believe that we'll start to see the old Soldado.
More of a question than a statement. As TS seems to prefer one up top and as you rightly say, Soldado is a poacher,
where as Ade is a great target man and can hold the ball up well. My question was how do we intergrate Bobbie into a starting 11? Plus the fact he is obviously struggling with confidence directly in front of goal. This suggested, slightly deeper role, seeing him more involved in the build up play and progressing into the box may (for now) tick all the boxes. Or not?

COYS!!

I really like the 433 we played on Wednesday, and believe Ade was key to making it work.

Sadly that would leave basically no room for Soldado, a real shame because he is obviously quality.

I think if, over a little time, we get our midfield and attackers really supporting the striker, getting beyond him and supplying him well then Soldado can play - but right now we arent doing that well enough to accomodate him IMO

Back
Top Bottom