RIP Tottenham. RIP Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Bundesliga have better commercial incomes than the premier league full stop, they attract the right kind of investors who are not looking to control their clubs. Yet they still remain largely fan owned clubs due to the 50 plus one rule. Due to fan ownership the clubs can exercise a form of social conscience for the good of their game, thereby ticket prices remain affordable for the average fan in Germany. Their game is more competitive and they produce more home grown players for the German national team, a healthy system from top to bottom in my book.
The premier league enjoys far higher TV incomes than the Bundesliga, but this massive income is not shared with the fans in any way, the clubs are not interested in making football more affordable for the fans.
Our governing bodies are weak and have let our game down big time. Instead of acting like custodians and guardians of the English game they have let the money men run riot. Fit and proper owners? My rear end!
Today's football fans seem to dream of getting a rich owner spunking his dirty money, rather than enjoying a league with a level playing field in a sustainable model that would insure affordable football for its fans.
You are right about the ownership structure but I don't think the league is more competitive at all - Bayern have dominated the league for decades (of course with a few blips) - Bayerns youth structure us also leagues ahead of everyone else's pretty much so they hoover up most young talent.
The Problem is, the clubs ARE the Premier League, they vote on their own rules when it comes to pretty much everything including broadcasting - so again, nothing is going to change unless people stop going to games and overseas broadcasters stop spending MILLIONS of pounds to receive it in their countries.

Back
Top Bottom