RIP Tottenham. RIP Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It pains me to say it but even our poxy league back home looks after home supporters better than clubs do here regarding Active/Vocal supporter areas. As you said it doesn't have to be a majority just a small loud vocal section (e.g. the Palace away supporters Saturday) that can create an atmosphere. My suggestion would be that the bay/s would be available for ST holders and OH members and just like you get the warning of restricted viewing, if you were to buy a seat in the Active area you'd be told that your "seat" is in the active area which only gets you into the bay as it is used as a liberal singing home supporters end.

I doubt you'll be finding too many tourists willing to spend £35+ on a ticket that doesn't even guarantee them their seat in row for all the selfies!

yeah, the game has changed and not all of it has been positive. But this is a bit (read: a lot) over the top. Football is still football, a competition between two sides each trying to stick the ball in the opponent's net more than the other team does it to them. We still love our clubs. We still moan about everything, as does every fan of every club. It is nothing new, its been going on decade after decade becuase it is human nature.

I just dont see the problem. Yeah, voice what is bad and that we want more of what is good, but just enjoy it for what it is, stay with your club through thick and thin and in that is the secret - you see, it is a bit like a long story, is being a football fan; you suffer through the bad times and these lows enable you to appreciate the good times when they....finally...come (that's not a euphemism, though I suspect there is a good analogy in there somewhere). If you are a Manure fan, then although Moyes was painful last year it will have done their fans some good, as now they will appreciate success a little more. They had got used to too much good year after year under Fergie.

When Spurs finally achieve success it will be euroria after all the Spursyness we have suffered over the years.

I can't claim that I've been following Spurs or football in general for as long as the author or as many of you, but I have to imagine that this feeling is not exclusive to the modern day. Maybe there were different issues a while ago, but I'm sure that 30 years ago there were plenty of people complaining about the state of the modern game as well.

Yes, there are plenty of annoying things in the game, but this is not limited to football.

I'm pretty sure that those who had to endure the 'vintage' 1976/77 season would have bemoaned the fact that the club were double winners and sweeping all before them in Europe a mere 15 years previously!

Whereas we had the League Cup to cherish 15 years ago!

I know we all like to hate on Citeh's oil money, the Chav's gangster money, UTd's Glazers and their American Billions, but is there really a difference between those examples and our club who is owned by a British Billionaire corporation?

I don't really see a difference. We're all a bunch of toys for rich guys no matter what their country of birth is. It seems like we like to pretend we are the little guy still, but in the end that's just a farce.

I know we all like to hate on Citeh's oil money, the Chav's gangster money, UTd's Glazers and their American Billions, but is there really a difference between those examples and our club who is owned by a British Billionaire corporation?

I don't really see a difference. We're all a bunch of toys for rich guys no matter what their country of birth is. It seems like we like to pretend we are the little guy still, but in the end that's just a farce.
Difference between City/Chelsea and us is their rich guys spend huge money on the team without the faintest hope of making a profit. Levy/ENIC aim to make a profit. That is a massive difference, and yes we are the little guy in comparison. The Glazers also aim to make a profit, and care about their club less than Levy (if not ENIC) cares about Spurs, but United's turnover is so much bigger than ours, so yes we are the little guy in comparison there as well.

I enjoyed the read and sympathize with the author and I can fully understand how he feels however football has changed in a massive way and a bit like life in the world.
But I can remember being a small boy and my grandad saying how football has changed and wages and style of play so maybe it's also a generation thing as I get enjoyment watching all levels of football.
Since the inception of the PL and with our one season wonder in the CL there certainly seems to be a different type of fan but this is common with many teams as you always get a good vocal support (mostly) when visiting the home team.
I've spoken to old skool fans as well as new and it has turned a bit like a trip to the theatre for some fans hence why the atmosphere seems very subdued as well as plenty of tourists.
Myself I would love to go to every game like the old days but with young kids and running my own business I don't have the Time and would cost me a fair bit.
I also would get frustrated due to the atmosphere and moaning which is why 1882 movement games for me are a priority as love what they do.
Football has gone global and for the working van man it's becoming difficult to get involved due to the costs.
One day the bubble may burst in football and it will be us the supporters who will pick up the pieces.
COYS

A billionaire is a billionaire is a billionaire

Yes but our billionaire doesn't put any money in, If the chavs and City hadn't had the Cash injection they would still be mid table at best which is what they were before it happened.

Yes but our billionaire doesn't put any money in, If the chavs and City hadn't had the Cash injection they would still be mid table at best which is what they were before it happened.
I agree. So you're saying that if our billionaire actually dumped money into the club then fans would be ok with it instead of throwing stones at City and Chelsea? It seems like most people are angry that money has changed football (angry for good reason) yet we have a billionaire owner and most of our fan base doesn't bat an eye.

It's almost like either blow your wad to make us good Joe Lewis or GTFO

I agree. So you're saying that if our billionaire actually dumped money into the club then fans would be ok with it instead of throwing stones at City and Chelsea? It seems like most people are angry that money has changed football (angry for good reason) yet we have a billionaire owner and most of our fan base doesn't bat an eye.

It's almost like either blow your wad to make us good Joe Lewis or GTFO
Not sure I understand. You mean people who want Joe Lewis to spend his own money on Spurs are hypocrites for criticising Chelsea and City? If so, I think you have a point...but not everyone is saying they want him to spend money like Mansour or Abramovich, just that they maybe don't want Spurs to be bottom of the net spend league. But as I understand it most teams are in a similar boat as Spurs, with owners using the club to make a profit- City and Chelsea being the exception rather than the rule.

In a sense it matters little, to us, whether Lewis is a billionaire or not. He owns Spurs and happens to be extremely rich; but Spurs would be in a similar state were he in fact a lot less rich (but still very rich by normal people's standards), e.g. if he were as rich as Alan Sugar.

It's funny but the German clubs Can charge much less than £20 a match and compete in the champions league. It can be done if there is the will,
Bayern have one of the highest if not the highest commercial incomes in Europe. They dominate German football and really should be winning the league every year with the kind of turnover they have. Thats why the tickets are so cheap.
So, if you can arrange for Addidas or Audi to invest a few hundred million in the club, or get a shirt sponsor that will throw us 30mil per season, we might see prices go down, probably not likely but it would be a lot easier wouldn't it.

I don't believe any Spurs supporter would be disgruntled if a wealthy person came into our club and spent 100's of million of £s. Football has sold its soul to these rich twats but I'm sure we would all like to get on the ride.

I hate moden football but love Spurs enough to keep watching?

Bayern have one of the highest if not the highest commercial incomes in Europe. They dominate German football and really should be winning the league every year with the kind of turnover they have. Thats why the tickets are so cheap.
So, if you can arrange for Addidas or Audi to invest a few hundred million in the club, or get a shirt sponsor that will throw us 30mil per season, we might see prices go down, probably not likely but it would be a lot easier wouldn't it.
The Bundesliga have better commercial incomes than the premier league full stop, they attract the right kind of investors who are not looking to control their clubs. Yet they still remain largely fan owned clubs due to the 50 plus one rule. Due to fan ownership the clubs can exercise a form of social conscience for the good of their game, thereby ticket prices remain affordable for the average fan in Germany. Their game is more competitive and they produce more home grown players for the German national team, a healthy system from top to bottom in my book.
The premier league enjoys far higher TV incomes than the Bundesliga, but this massive income is not shared with the fans in any way, the clubs are not interested in making football more affordable for the fans.
Our governing bodies are weak and have let our game down big time. Instead of acting like custodians and guardians of the English game they have let the money men run riot. Fit and proper owners? My rear end!
Today's football fans seem to dream of getting a rich owner spunking his dirty money, rather than enjoying a league with a level playing field in a sustainable model that would insure affordable football for its fans.

Please stop talking about relegation like its a good thing for the club. I'd rather be watching Spurs battling 5-8 place each season rather then to see it go down a league. There is no guarantee Spurs could bounce back and go straight back up to the PL and be the wonder team you are hoping for.

Please stop talking about relegation like its a good thing for the club. I'd rather be watching Spurs battling 5-8 place each season rather then to see it go down a league. There is no guarantee Spurs could bounce back and go straight back up to the PL and be the wonder team you are hoping for.
No one is saying it would be good for the club. Some of us think it would be good for our fanbase. Just to clarify- I don't want us to get relegated.

Back
Top Bottom