Redknapp - I vented

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WindyCOYS

The Fighting Cock
http://windycoys.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06 ... spurs.html

I didn't think I needed to vent; I thought I'd said it all in this letter back in April. Turns out I hadn't, so here goes.

If he'd toed the party line, he'd still be manager.

If he hadn't flirted with the England job, and if he hadn't tried to conduct contract negotiations in public, he'd still be manager.

But that is Harry - if he thinks he can improve his own position by talking to his friends in the press, he'll do it - without caring about whether it brings the club into disrepute, or makes the chairman look daft.

At the end of March, when Redknapp was being asked about the England job (on a weekly basis) he said:

"They [the players] don't care whether I'm the manager next year. They wouldn't lose any sleep over that. That's football.

Footballers play the game, they come in every day and train. Someone else walks in here tomorrow – the king is dead long live the king! They don't worry. They don't think 'Harry is going to England' or 'he is going to go somewhere else'.

Fast-forward to June, and he seemed to have had a total turn-around:

“If they [the club] don’t extend it [his contract] and I go into my last year, it is not an easy one when players know you have only got a year left.

It is not a case of me looking for security. What it is about is players knowing you have only got year left on your contract and knowing that it doesn’t work, basically. I think it’s a situation of, ‘well, he might not be here next year’."

This just about sums the man up; he's hinting at his own players leaving - weakening our bargaining position, putting thoughts in players mind - in order to push the board into offering him a longer contract.

And it is because of these sorts of comments, I'm almost sure, that he is no longer manager.

His record largely speaks for itself - two top four finishes, Champions League football; we've "never had it so good" ("...and if you know your history...") - but his short-term approach to achieve these finishes does leave a somewhat sour taste.

Bringing in the likes of Friedel, Gallas, Parker, Nelsen, Saha - all ageing players - plus Adebayor only on loan, means that we have another summer of rebuilding ahead of us and would have done even if he'd still been there. He has marginalised a large section of the squad, leaving them ready to quit the club (or already having quit in Kranjcar's case), and meaning that we have a core of 12-15 players who will realistically be considered for selection next season.

Congratulations to Redknapp for some wonderful football during his tenure. Congratulations for the run of league finishes. Congratulations on bringing Champions League football to the Lane - it was great.

But you never really had me feeling involved - I never felt like you were one of us, or even wanted to be. I don't know whether it was the fact that you commuted all that way because you couldn't leave Sandbanks. I don't know whether it was the fact that you referred to us (the lifeblood of the club) as "them", whether it was calling fans who phoned TalkSport "idiots", or whether it was the "they've never had it so good" line. Some will miss you because of the relative success that you brought, but to me supporting a club is about a lot more than achieving 4th place finishes, and for that reason I'm not crying.

HARRY REDKNAPP WAS A TWITCHY, DODGY, SHADY, WHEELER-DEALER-TAX-EVADING-BUT-GOT-AWAY-WITH-IT WEST HAM/GOONER LOVING MEDIA WHORING CLICHÉD COCKNEY CUNT...

there, I went there... I simply said what everyone's been SECRETLY thinking! ...ban/sue me!

Yes, he did us some good... PLENTY of good considering where we were (2 from 8) when he arrived...

...but so did Palacios & Crouch for a while... don't mean we have to stick with them forever!

Harry's now part of Tottenham's past... love him or loathe him, he's gone.

TIME TO MOVE ON TO THE NEXT MAN!

Thass football... ta-daaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I said a couple of months back; Redknapp has exceeded all expectations and for that we are grateful but the Club or the manager were always destined for to reach a fork in the road. Four years ago, I doubt anyone would have predicted that the England job would prove so pivotal in the conclusion to Tottenham and Redknapp's relationship, however it is only one of a handful of significant reasons.

I have been text, emailed and facebooked about how terrible this is from supporters of other teams, Woolwich fans (January wasn't that long ago a large vocal contingent of them wanted Wenger out!) and Liverpool fans (pinch of salt). None have taken an advanced interest in our Club as I don't theirs so the vitriol that is being poured upon Spurs is misplaced at best or damn ignorant...either way, Redknapp isn't the man to progress this club, how do we know? Because the previous two seasons, and none more so than this has seen Redknapp fold when expectation increases and opportunity presents itself.

The most important decision is yet to be made (if it hasn't already) and that is the replacement; it must be of significant ambition or else we will struggle to keep players, entice players and, inevitably slip back to mid table mediocrity. When we have come so close to success it would hurt to let it slip now.

Just to echo someone else's thoughts, whoever it may be, I will vocally support them and give them the time necessary.

COYS

Some memorable 'out the car window' quotes;

"Mind yer backs lads... don't get run over!"

"Black cab drivers, salt of the earf'... I'm an OK Bloke"

"Can't fank the fans enuff"

Jesus he's a fucking cockney cliché.... I guess he'll have plenty of time for a cuppa tea and a bacon sandwich now eh?!

I thought he called the Spurs fans a disgrace at Portsmouth...? can't have it both ways, either we're cunts or we're not?

Yes, we sang your name when you were in Court... BECAUSE YOU WERE OUR MANAGER AND WE WERE LOYAL TO OUR MANAGER, NO MATTER WHAT!!

Shame he couldn't have shown the same loyalty towards us when the sniff of England came calling... it's only a two-way street in Harry's world!

The think is that I actually don't blame Redknapp for the England fiasco. He wanted the job. If we take our Spurs hats off for a second is that really such a surprise? What Englishman wouldn't take it? What fucked us up more, IMO, was the fact that the FA knew this and did nothing for months on the premise that they didn't want to harm any club's season. However, that is exactly what they did. Redknapp wanted the job so could'nt commit to us when asked again and again. This bred distrust amongst the fans and the club, and compounded Redknapp's own position in the process, ultimately leaving him holding the baby when they chose Hodgson instead.

If Redknapp, and us, have a gripe against anyone, it should be the FA.

Smoked Salmon said:
The think is that I actually don't blame Redknapp for the England fiasco. He wanted the job. If we take our Spurs hats off for a second is that really such a surprise? What Englishman wouldn't take it? What fucked us up more, IMO, was the fact that the FA knew this and did nothing for months on the premise that they didn't want to harm any club's season. However, that is exactly what they did. Redknapp wanted the job so could'nt commit to us when asked again and again. This bred distrust amongst the fans and the club, and compounded Redknapp's own position in the process, ultimately leaving him holding the baby when they chose Hodgson instead.

I disagree.

Am I annoyed Harry would have left Spurs to join England if the opportunity was given to him? Perhaps slightly but not much at all.

What annoyed me was that every time Harry was asked he didn't just say 'I'm concentrating on the league season with Spurs and anything to do with a new contract or England can be sorted after the season'. Instead he treated it as an audition to help improve his chances of getting the England job. He let the rumours about England get in the way of his job at Spurs and that is unprofessional and unforgivable.

Sure, the FA could have appointed Hodgso 2 weeks after Capello sacked and this probably wouldn't have happened, but it also wouldn't have happened if Redknapp had behaved in a professional manner.

1882 said:
I thought he called the Spurs fans a disgrace at Portsmouth...? can't have it both ways, either we're cunts or we're not?

This troubled me faaaar more than Redknapp being the kind of person we knew him to be, his scum supporting days and his pest ham association.

I'm not saying for a second that the Sol Sol chant was at all acceptable, I hate judas with every fibre of my being and always will do, but that crossed the line, but did 'arry stir up all of that shit and use language stronger than disgrace to describe us for the benefit of rSol? Fuck no! It kept his ugly mug in the media spotlight for a while. Without meaning to sound too dramatic, it upset me that a lot of people seemed to forget about all of that after a few wins.

Our CL exploits will live long in my memory (not that I made it to a match :() and like most of us I would like to thank 'arry for that, but I'm glad to see the back of the cunt.

EssexYid said:
Smoked Salmon said:

I disagree.

Am I annoyed Harry would have left Spurs to join England if the opportunity was given to him? Perhaps slightly but not much at all.

What annoyed me was that every time Harry was asked he didn't just say 'I'm concentrating on the league season with Spurs and anything to do with a new contract or England can be sorted after the season'. Instead he treated it as an audition to help improve his chances of getting the England job. He let the rumours about England get in the way of his job at Spurs and that is unprofessional and unforgivable.

Sure, the FA could have appointed Hodgso 2 weeks after Capello sacked and this probably wouldn't have happened, but it also wouldn't have happened if Redknapp had behaved in a professional manner.
What exactly did he do to "treat it like an audition"? All he'd ever say was that his mind was focused on Tottenham and that he wasn't thinking about the England job. How is that an audition?

Frustrating certainly that he couldn't commit, but it was Redknapp's choice to have the matter drag on for months.

Smoked Salmon said:

No its John Terry, racist abuse, court case, captaincy stripped, capello walks early, circus begins, downhill for spurs

ricky2tricky4city said:
Smoked Salmon said:

No its John Terry, racist abuse, court case, captaincy stripped, capello walks early, circus begins, downhill for spurs

To be fair, that's a MUCH more inventive way of denying us CL football than Lasagne-gate EVER was... they just keep coming up with more ludicrous story-lines... and Spurs JUST KEEP FALLING FOR IT!!

Abbey Yid said:
So basically it's all John Terry's fault?

FUCKING CUNT.

Yup... fucking broken condom spawn of a serial thief and drug dealer* (allegedly*)

then again, he'll probably be a wife-beater too one day, so give him the full fucking set of cuntish attributes... I bet he's got a Hitler/Swastika tattoo somewhere on his weasley cunty body... can't wait for the YouTube footage to surface of him joining in with the Chelsea fans' Gas-Chamber-Hissing chants... fucking neo-Nazi racist CUNT!

Back
Top Bottom