Premier League 23/24 Squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t know if proven is the right word. There’s more to performance than just whether the squad put together in the transfer window was « good enough ». We’ve been knocked out by many teams below the PL in recent seasons and we’ve definitely had a good enough squad to win those games.

Equally we could get drawn against Man City and get knocked out early.

If you think we’ve got a top 8 prem team (qualifying for Europe) then you also will think we’ve got a team good enough to get to an FA cup quarterfinal. That’s just logic.

I agree we don’t have a good enough squad to also compete in European competition but there’s another year until we need to think about that.
We didn't win those games, it can't be all down to bad luck.

We put out a second string team and got outplayed and knocked out by Fulham, some people might argue it was a bad night, I think it was more than that.

If we draw city, I would expect us to put out the best team we can not the second string that played against Fulham. I think we need think about European competition now and already thinking about installing a new DOF.

We got outplayed by Fulham

we had the ball for over 60% of the game and lost on penalties though. not really outplayed but, i agree the changes were too many.

the thing is. the manager said "when else am I supposed to see these players play a competitive game?"

I wouldn't read too much into that result to be honest

Yes it doesYou wore me down with your pedantry so I really couldn’t be bothered.

Have we even established what ‘good enough’ means? Coz that’s kind of important…

I think we’ve a good enough squad to finish top 6 - European qualification.

I don’t think we’ve got a good enough squad to ultimately challenge for the title.

I don’t think we’re too far away from having a squad capable of challenging.

Hope that fucking helps.

Jesus Christ almighty.

Get a fucking job.
Yes it does help.
I don't think we are good enough to qualify for the CL, but the Europa league or Europe conference yeah.

we had the ball for over 60% of the game and lost on penalties though. not really outplayed but, i agree the changes were too many.

the thing is. the manager said "when else am I supposed to see these players play a competitive game?"

I wouldn't read too much into that result to be honest
I thought we played shit, we had a lot of possession but didn't do much with it, we scored because they went down to 10 men temporarily. Celso as back up to Maddison that's not going to work, we should have got rid of him long ago.

Yes it does help.
I don't think we are good enough to qualify for the CL, but the Europa league or Europe conference yeah.

Fine.

I think we COULD edge a CL spot but realistically more likely to be the Europa League or Euro Conference.

What I don't believe is that we're nowhere near good enough for CL qualification - I really don't think we're far away at all.

Taking aside semantics, we're probably not that far apart in our views.

I just hope (and believe we will) we continue to upgrade our squad in January.

Yes it does help.
I think we could get Champions League next year. United and Chelsea are not in a good place . Newcastle are not brilliant and have Champions League to contend with and not a top notch squad. We have only the league and FA Cup to contend with. We can do it esp with 1/2 additions in January.

I think we could get Champions League next year. United and Chelsea are not in a good place . Newcastle are not brilliant and have Champions League to contend with and not a top notch squad. We have only the league and FA Cup to contend with. We can do it esp with 1/2 additions in January.
I'm not thinking about that right now, I think most people were/are not expecting Ange to get CL in his first season, of course it will be great if does. Hopefully we will get a result against Sheffield, then the games against Scum and Scousers will tell us a lot about the team.

I'm not thinking about that right now, I think most people were/are not expecting Ange to get CL in his first season, of course it will be great if does. Hopefully we will get a result against Sheffield, then the games against Scum and Scousers will tell us a lot about the team.
As English teams generally do well in europe nowadays, our league gets 1 of 2 extra spots for CL next year. So top 5 will most likely make it to the CL.

That Maddison addition, Biss and Romero both worldies, decent new CB , our fullbacks are good,, hopefuly goalie will be good and if the manager is as good as people are saying, I think top 5 is very easily possible with our squad.

As English teams generally do well in europe nowadays, our league gets 1 of 2 extra spots for CL next year. So top 5 will most likely make it to the CL.

That Maddison addition, Biss and Romero both worldies, decent new CB , our fullbacks are good,, hopefuly goalie will be good and if the manager is as good as people are saying, I think top 5 is very easily possible with our squad.
What about when we get some injuries? Losing Son and Maddison for instance? And the ANC when we lose Biss and Sarr?

That's a proper South American group in our squad.

It used to only be Italian & Spanish clubs that had so many Brazilian, Argentine, Uruguayan players. It provides a familiar, welcoming, atmosphere for young Veliz too.

Cuti Romero is presumably the leader, but Bentancur has leadership qualities too, and might even have been in line for a captaincy or vice-captaincy role but for his injury.

What about when we get some injuries? Losing Son and Maddison for instance? And the ANC when we lose Biss and Sarr?
What if Liverpool lose Salah or Haaland gets injured?
If we get an injury we use the reserve.
All our positions are well covered and we have good youth potential as back up.
Bentacur coming back and hopefully an injury free GLC could cover JM.
We have Richarlison, Johnson, Solomon and Perisic to cover Son.
Gil and Sessegnon could thrive under Ange.
I like our squad and I think we will do very well this season

Last edited:
What if Liverpool lose Salah or Haaland gets injured?
If we get an injury we use the reserve.
All our positions are well covered and we have good youth potential as back up.
Bentacur coming back and hopefully an injury free GLC could cover JM.
We have Richarlison, Johnson, Solomon to cover Son.
Gil and Sessegnon could thrive under Ange.
I like our squad and I think we will do very well this season
I don't care about Liverpool or City. They are both in the CL, City are filthy rich and treble winners they have more than enough quality.

GLC is not good enough and neither is Sess imo, it's down to Ange what he can get out of the players but even Poch couldn't turn water into wine, I don't expect Ange to do that either.

I don't care about Liverpool or City. They are both in the CL, City are filthy rich and treble winners they have more than enough quality.

GLC is not good enough and neither is Sess imo, it's down to Ange what he can get out of the players but even Poch couldn't turn water into wine, I don't expect Ange to do that either.

We have a great 1st XI with excellent competition for attacking positions.
We'll see if we have sufficient options in midfield but I am confident we do.

How many games do they miss for ANC? Bentancur will be also be back by then. And sure if things go very very wrong, it will be difficult. But if our best players arent injured all the time then top 5 or even top 4 is possible.

Plus we have Eric Dier.

You should do if your entire point is down to injuries, you can't account for them just like everyone else.

If we lose players due to injuries then we have to deal with it, just like everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom