Popescu Jailed

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ArcspacE

ENIC OUT NOW !!! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Former Barca and Spurs star Popescu jailed
Former Romania defender Gheorghe Popescu has been jailed as Romanian courts sentenced eight football officials for tax evasion and money laundering.
Reuters – 7 hours ago

'Gica' Popescu, who played for clubs including PSV Eindhoven,Tottenham Hotspur, Barcelona and Galatasaray, was sentenced to three years and one month.

The 46-year-old, who was named player of the year in Romania six times, was among the favourites to become president of the domestic football federation, with elections taking place on Wednesday.

He was capped 115 times by Romania and is considered one of the best players to have played for the Balkan country. He was a key member of the Romania team at the World Cup finals in 1990, 1994 and 1998 and at the European championships in 1996 and 2000.

Steaua Bucharest's general manager Mihai Stoica was sentenced to three years and six months in jail, former Rapid Bucharest owner George Copos received three years and eight months and former Dinamo Bucharest owner Cristian Borcea got six years and four months.

"The sentences cannot be appealed and are deemed final," the Bucharest Court of Appeal said in a statement.

The court found that the state lost 1.7 million euros in taxes and the clubs lost 10 million euros because the officials registered false sums for the transfers of 12 players between 1999 and 2005.

The transfers involved players moving from Romanian teams, such as Bucharest rivals Dinamo and Rapid, Gloria Bistrita and Otelul Galati, to foreign clubs and included former Romania internationals Cosmin Contra and Ionel Ganea.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/...n-soccer-officials-jailed-215327313--sow.html

greedy going to fallen for everyone... for some "zeros" more as numbers ,after his impressive football career as player ,he start to be agent for players at the company of Becali (brothers),for sure,Becali learned him some tricks how to make easy money (black money) same thing as "the wolf of the wall street"...in a transfer (Florin Bratu from Dinamo Bucharest to Galatasaray Istanbul ,where Becali brothers (agents) and Popescu was implicated somehow they receive 1.000.000 EUR extra (bribe) from the turks...Popescu was sent to take the "package" from Istanbul,from a bank,because was his notorious name ,was easy to pass over checkpoints ,because he was Popescu,captain of Barcelona,Romania,or Galatasaray...imagine exactly like in the movies,he carrying the "special bag" in his hands with black glasses exactly like James Bond in the movies ,in the airport,"what's your name,mister?" "Popescu...Gheorghe Popescu" his answer "hey! i know you!" you may pass easy ,mister! Have a nice day!"... ,with 1.000.000 EUR in the bag from bank to airport Turkey-Romania... you need "big balls "to make that :))) don't you think?

Vlad Chiriches is a free player from now on,he's free to chose every new agent to represent him now

Last edited:
greedy going to fallen for everyone... for some "zeros" more as numbers ,after his impressive football career as player ,he start to be agent for players at the company of Becali (brothers),for sure,Becali learned him some tricks how to make easy money (black money) same thing as "the wolf of the wall street"...in a transfer (Florin Bratu from Dinamo Bucharest to Galatasaray Istanbul ,where Becali brothers (agents) and Popescu was implicated somehow they receive 1.000.000 EUR extra (bribe) from the turks...Popescu was sent to take the "package" from Istanbul,from a bank,because was his notorious name ,was easy to pass over checkpoints ,because he was Popescu,captain of Barcelona,Romania,or Galatasaray...imagine exactly like in the movies,he carrying the "special bag" in his hands with black glasses exactly like James Bond in the movies ,in the airport,"what's your name,mister?" "Popescu...Gheorghe Popescu" his answer "hey! i know you!" you may pass easy ,mister! Have a nice day!"... ,with 1.000.000 EUR in the bag from bank to airport Turkey-Romania... you need "big balls "to make that :))) don't you think?

Vlad Chiriches is a free player from now on,he's free to chose every new agent to represent him now
I looked into the state prosecutor indictment file (which dates back to september 2008) released today by Prosport site and when it comes to Popescu it is said that he wasn't only involved in transfers with the turks, but also in one between Gloria and Panathinaikos in Greece.

about the 1 million dollar sum popescu received in cash with a receipt from Galatasaray, it's not right to say it was bribe, at least not according to the official documents. The turks presented documents which clearly show that the 1 million dollars were part of the transfer fee for Bratu. So the turks paid Popescu this money thinking of him as an intermediary and that this sum will go to Rapid, when in fact Popescu kept it for himself. His official statement was that 350000 were his fee as the intermediary for the transfer and the rest of 650000 were a debt that Galatasaray had towards him since he played there. This can be proven to be a lie, because the receipt he received for this cash mentioned as the receiver "Popescu Gheorghe from Becali Sport" and not Popescu as a private person or the player Popescu. This plus other documents provided by Galatasaray proves that the turks were fair about the transfers and didn't actually offer money as bribes. Popescu also declared that the million dollars didn't leave Turkey and i think it makes sense. 1 million dollars in cash i don't think can fit in a briefcase or in fact in any hand luggage which you may take with you into the passenger's area in a plane. He might have just kept the cash in some bank there or who knows, maybe he transferred it to other accounts, though i didn't read anything official about this. In any case, his guilt is obvious, i honestly hoped that maybe he got caught in all this thing without knowing or something (naive me...) and that it only happened once, but it seems he got a taste of many other cakes, so fuck him, the greedy bastard.

Last edited:
Popescu also declared that the million dollars didn't leave Turkey and i think it makes sense. 1 million dollars in cash i don't think can fit in a briefcase or in fact in any hand luggage which you may take with you into the passenger's area in a plane.

dodgeballmoney2.jpg

A briefcase full isn't really an obscene amount these days, relatively speaking. Assuming all US$100 bills, an average sized briefcase (25" x 18" x 4") could theoretically fit about US$2,400,000. An average attache case (18" x 12" x 4.5") is good for about US$1,000,000.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BriefcaseFullOfMoney

This. Was there, I think my second game ever at WHL.

He then proceeded to leave us.
for FC Barcelona ,yes,very good footballer, unfortunately he don't adapted to english old style football ,kick and run, while his style was with ball at his feet,continental Europe football,that was in 1994-1995,now Premier League is much better than that period in the 90's

dodgeballmoney2.jpg

A briefcase full isn't really an obscene amount these days, relatively speaking. Assuming all US$100 bills, an average sized briefcase (25" x 18" x 4") could theoretically fit about US$2,400,000. An average attache case (18" x 12" x 4.5") is good for about US$1,000,000.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BriefcaseFullOfMoney
that said journalists here yesterday ,or is about a myth...a legend ,who knows ,obviously was a lot of cash involved in this case...

I think the spying allegations tarnished his image to me more than this.

Regarding his goal against the vermin - I've been searching for video of this for years. Can't find it. Can anyone help me out?

it seems the officials of the small club which launched Popescu's career in football will present the romanian president Basescu with a demand for pardoning the ex-international, as announced today by Prosport. The president of this club made an appeal to all romanian football personalities to sustain this effort. i don't know what to think about this, although i admit i admire the gesture.... does he deserve a pardon, because of all he's done as a footballer?... i personally don't think so, it shouldn't really matter. it remains to be seen what will come of this initiative

also is see in Spain the president of FC Sevilla,Negredo will make jail 7 years in prison...in the past some years ago,in Italy was celebre "Calciopoli case",so ,it's happend also in other countries...i'm glad that in my country,bad persons in football make jail,a signal for the rest persons (chairmans,football agents etc)to be careful now what they make in the future ,a clean football is what whant the fans...

Back
Top Bottom