Other matches fred 2017/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep, the same team that lost as many games as the champions last season (and one more that us), whose only problem was scoring goals (who now seems to be scoring them for fun — yeah, i know that it's only two games against not the best of teams).

What are you on about?

They were 6th because they only won 18 games. 12 less than Chelsea.
Their GD was 25.......35 less than ours

Their only problem was scoring goals, oh well Im sure Sunderland can take great comfort with that excuse too

The vast majority of domestic trophies won during the premier league era, particularly where the FA Cup is concerned, have been won by those sides who were also enjoying top six, most often top four, consistency at the time.
There's a name for that. It's called false cause fallacy. Finishing in the top 4/6 doesn't win you trophies (nor is a trophy in itself, as some of our fans seem to believe).

But let's see if our consistent finishing in the top 4/6 converts to silverware. I sure hope it will.

Salah Watch:

sad-man-sitting-on-bench-in-the-city_e1xxh1nyx__F0000.png

What are you on about?

They were 6th because they only won 18 games. 12 less than Chelsea.
Their GD was 25.......35 less than ours

Their only problem was scoring goals, oh well Im sure Sunderland can take great comfort with that excuse too
Back at you re: What are you on about?

Did you seriously just brush away my comment about them having trouble scoring goals and cite the GD in the same post?

And re: games won, what they didn't win, they drew. Why you ask? Because last season they couldn't score even if their life depended on it.

I though you were smarter than that, man. Guess bias is stronger than intellect.

There's a name for that. It's called false cause fallacy. Finishing in the top 4/6 doesn't win you trophies (nor is a trophy in itself, as some of our fans seem to believe).

But let's see if our consistent finishing in the top 4/6 converts to silverware. I sure hope it will.
I didn't say it won you trophies. Please read what is said to you. What I said was that consistently finishing in the top four significantly increases the chances of trophies, and if you look at the history of the Premier League era, no club that has spent a period consistently in the top four has gone without a trophy in the same period. Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, United and Man City have all won multiple trophies during their spells as consistent top four sides when they have been in those spots for three or more seasons. So aspiring to finish as high as possible is not meaningless because it contributes towards building a side that is capable of going all the way and competing for multiple trophies, not having a one off as a mid table side who got lucky.

where it has generally made a difference is, until citeh struck rich, the top 4 was fairly consistent. therefore, that 4 generally made more money (through the chumpions league directly, and the indirect routes, like the extra sponsorship deals, and the normal ones like the kit deal being worth more)

These have generally enabled those clubs to pay more both in terms of fees and wages, leading to better , deeper squads, increasing the liklihood of winning silverware. This was also effected by the "best players wanting to play inthe chumpions league" spin off

I dont think its a coincidence that the two financially weakest members of that top 4, the dippers and the gooners, (especially the dippers) suffered the most through Citeh getting rich, and through our improvement.(on a relative shoestring)

Man U have had a couple of relatively fallow years since Ferguson resigned (no titles), but still have won three pieces of shiny in the 4 years since ferguson went

Back
Top Bottom