Opinions on players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who is a player that you have written off that has actually not been anywhere near as bad as your initial judgement of them?

Are people, in general, willing to give players a chance in our team before they write them off and start calling them crap/average/shit etc?

I'm constantly hearing a narrative that player x is shit or average because they have not worked out at a recent club or had some poor games for us. I think some context is always needed with these 'opinions'.

There is a difference between players performing poorly and actually being poor and giving them time and support to adapt and come good should, in my opinion, be the attitude we all have about every player that comes to our club.....

I wrote off Lamela initially, thinking he would never produce anything for us. And whilst injuries did never quite let him live up to his playing potential, he was Spurs through and through and I should not have written him off as early on as I did.

bale is the ultimate - shit left back who couldn't win a game to wale's best ever forward
Maybe I was in the minority but I thought Bale was really good for us at left back, I don’t care about the winless record he was one of our only attacking threats during that run.

I wrote off Kane after seeing him on loan, then after his first season I was someone who thought he was a one season wonder. It’s safe to say I probably got that one wrong!

I always felt Emerson was a good right back but I was highly critical of him as a wing back last season. Even though I’m not sold on him as a wingback he showed tons of fight and put in some really strong performances with a small tactical tweak. I certainly underrated him.

Bentancur. I was so against signing him at the time. If you check my comments at the beginning of his thread I used to call him a shit Hojbjerg (that's what he was asked to do at Juve). I am so glad that I got that completely wrong.

Who is a player that you have written off that has actually not been anywhere near as bad as your initial judgement of them?

Are people, in general, willing to give players a chance in our team before they write them off and start calling them crap/average/shit etc?

I'm constantly hearing a narrative that player x is shit or average because they have not worked out at a recent club or had some poor games for us. I think some context is always needed with these 'opinions'.

There is a difference between players performing poorly and actually being poor and giving them time and support to adapt and come good should, in my opinion, be the attitude we all have about every player that comes to our club.....

I wrote off Lamela initially, thinking he would never produce anything for us. And whilst injuries did never quite let him live up to his playing potential, he was Spurs through and through and I should not have written him off as early on as I did.

It's the complete opposite for me. I can't think of anyone I thought was bad but came good.
I can think of a few that I expected to be good but ultimately were shit. Soldado, Lo Celso. Ndombele, etc.

I really can't think of any player I didn't "fancy" that turned out to be good.
The closest I can think of is Gareth Bale tbh. It's not that I didn't think he was good. I just thought his injury record as a youngster was so bad, and he got so few minutes, we'd probably end up selling him. And we all know despite his BS, Redknapp would have sold him but for BAE's injury.

I’ll admit to happy-clappy tendencies so I tend to think every player we’ve ever signed has the potential to be the next Messi.

They generally don’t waste much time exposing my ignorance.

I've truly never written off a player too early...I've often been accused of it until reality hits. But that's mostly because I look at players as skillsets and not FIFA stats.

I thought Kulusevski was too slow to be effective.
Yeah, that turned out to be way off the mark. :pochunimpressed:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom