Not the White Hart Lane I was looking for

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ENIC/ Levy/ Lewis have sucked dry every club they have owned . Like biblical
locusts they rip the soul off anything they touch . They are morally indefensible .
There legacy is pure greed .

"Reasons to be cheerful "
There would have never been a golden age in the 60's early 70's, early to mid 80's
If these parasites had controlled the club back then . No more Apologies .
"Biblical locusts?!" That's the naming rights for the new stadium sorted.

I started going to Spurs as a very young lad, once I had the bug I went constantly. I paid for my football with my paper round money! Everyone could afford to go and I mean everyone. No bloody memberships just turn up and pay on the gate, get to a cup semi final or final, no problem just turn up early to queue up and buy your tickets.
The terraces were fantastic, old and young alike and full of characters, it was mainly the game of the working classes. When I started working at 16 it gave me the funds to follow Spurs everywhere, train tickets were cheap on the football specials mind you they were cattle trucks. One season I went to 94 games! I would watch the other london clubs in midweek games!
The game really changed after Hillsborough, they lied about the events that day to change the game forever. All seater stadiums would be paid for by the new TV deals on the horizon but they said it would not cost the fans more to attend, they lied of course. One of the saddest days for me was losing the shelf, I kid you not the best standing view in English football. I got a season ticket then, previously I didn't need one, there was a group of about 15 of us family and friends with season tickets, slowly they started to dwindle as the prices were constantly going up above the rate of inflation. I was the last one to hold a season ticket from my group, the fun of our once affordable game was gone.
I replaced my season ticket for a membership and went to far less games, in between watching spurs I started watching a lot of non league football and really started to enjoy my football again. Like most Londoners of my generation I moved out to the suburbs, as like the game the old working class neighbourhoods were changing just as fast.
I was going to around 10 games a season at the lane but not having much luck online getting tickets for the big derby games so I was thinking about getting the bronze membership. With the cost of the membership and booking fees it worked out it would cost me £7.50 per game just for the right to buy a ticket, I stopped going from that moment.
Fans will moan about the current crop of mercenaries playing for the club, but money has ruined the game, players are multi millionaires before they are 24 in the premier league, they are not playing for that shirt that we cherish, they will pull any shirt on if it pays them a few quid more.
I go to non league now and I'm happy watching football played with heart and far more passion. The lad who wrote the article about looking for White Hart Lane produced a good read but the real White Hart Lane was gone years ago sadly.

I was hoping it was a piece by Trevor Tanner.

As for this

Forget about ENIC, forget about Levy, and forget about our position in the league table during a match. Just show the players on the pitch that you love that badge on their chest and that you believe that they can succeed wearing that badge.

Problem is, several of them are not fit to wear the badge &, more to the point, dont want to..

Bang on for me

If you got the feeling they were trying, really trying, I'd happily settle for that. But somehow you don't.

Back
Top Bottom