Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur. Sat 13th April. 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed, without ball retention in the final third we lose control and it turns into a basketball match.

Our defenders are good but they will get caught out occasionally.

This is the main issue rather than the system itself, I think we get numbers back but when you're up against quality like Isak and Gordon and you give them chances they will punish you. And their first goal started from the forwards inability to make the ball stick.

Agreed, without ball retention in the final third we lose control and it turns into a basketball match.

Our defenders are good but they will get caught out occasionally.

This is the main issue rather than the system itself, I think we get numbers back but when you're up against quality like Isak and Gordon and you give them chances they will punish you. And their first goal started from the forwards inability to make the ball stick.

Best ball retention player I can remember in the prem in attacking areas was Eden Hazard, I remember when Chelsea would sometimes rest him a bit then bring him on at 60 mins and the opposition would drop 10-20 yards just because Hazard was playing, nothing else. Unreal at rentention, pass and move game. We won’t get anyone as good but someone in that style would be very useful.

Best ball retention player I can remember in the prem in attacking areas was Eden Hazard, I remember when Chelsea would sometimes rest him a bit then bring him on at 60 mins and the opposition would drop 10-20 yards just because Hazard was playing, nothing else. Unreal at rentention, pass and move game. We won’t get anyone as good but someone in that style would be very useful.
Ball retention is an underrated quality, people don't understand why Grealish starts games because it doesn't seem like he does much but this is why. And Pep was willing to spend 100m on him knowing he wouldn't be the same player he was at Villa, which is what you'd think he was being signed for.

Now we know why Ange persisted with Deki for so long despite being out of form.

Ball retention is an underrated quality, people don't understand why Grealish starts games because it doesn't seem like he does much but this is why. And Pep was willing to spend 100m on him knowing he wouldn't be the same player he was at Villa, which is what you'd think he was being signed for.

Now we know why Ange persisted with Deki for so long despite being out of form.

Yep Grealish is a master at ball retention in congested areas, that is his primary stand out quality.

Kulusevski is our best forward at retaining the ball but he's out of form.

So. On a pivotal weekend in the race for Champions league football, Villa go to Woolwich and put in a performance like that, while we go to Newcastle and put in a performance like this.

What the fuck is wrong with this football club?

So. On a pivotal weekend in the race for Champions league football, Villa go to Woolwich and put in a performance like that, while we go to Newcastle and put in a performance like this.

What the fuck is wrong with this football club?
wrong strategy .. horses for courses

but this manager has only this strategy
if he aint changing (overhaul) horses or changing courses - then he will be thrown from the horse back..

palomino-horse-gallops-into-tree-rider-falls-off.gif

I always rated El Tel as Manager as he played many different systems from memory. 3/4 at the back and even changed it during the match. Other teams have found us out and we need to adapt but Ange seems determined not to do so. Not even worried about our defending set pieces which is crazy.
He has been unlucky with injuries with Solomon and Perisic ruled out practically all season but perhaps more importantly the likes of Bents, Maddison and Richie missing many matches and then not getting back to previous standards.
We have brought 2 young players into the team and they are still developing ( Udogie and Sarr) They should only get better. I think we have more kids lined up to join us shortly currently still with previous club and hopefully they will also turn out good players. It is disappointing that still we cannot get players from our development squad into the team.
I do not go into other teams forums but expect Woolwich and Liverpool supporters are equally scathing about their result today as us.
After Sunday’s results why are the other teams not taunted with a similar word to Spursy as the surprise home defeats of Liverpool, Woolwich and Spammers is very Spursy.
As to the immediate future it is difficult to see us picking up enough points for 4th and even 5 th is at riskunless we can get some confidence into the team to produce another Villa result.

Udogie has been awful for weeks. But has no competition and you get slated for saying it, or get "he's young and learning". Sounds like a free pass to do what the fuck he wants without consequence. So often Micky is dragged wide because there's no left back and then with no midfielder dropping in we are massively exposed.
That is not true though the reason there is no LB or RB is that they are told to push into inside forward positions. They never going to make it back. The system is causing the problems. We have 8 outfield players virtually outside the oppo pen box and they have everyone back as well trying to nick the ball. The system is too narrow when we have the ball. What we need to do is may be tweak it and keep one FB wide and the other stay back. We have no out ball from the CB to wide areas as timo and bj are crap at holding the ball up when facing our own goal.

That is not true though the reason there is no LB or RB is that they are told to push into inside forward positions. They never going to make it back. The system is causing the problems. We have 8 outfield players virtually outside the oppo pen box and they have everyone back as well trying to nick the ball. The system is too narrow when we have the ball. What we need to do is may be tweak it and keep one FB wide and the other stay back. We have no out ball from the CB to wide areas as timo and bj are crap at holding the ball up when facing our own goal.
The system is even more ridiculous when that basic fool Royal is involved as an inverted full back. That idiot should be as far from the ball as possible when we have it

We need speciality defence and attacking coaches. Ange has said the current coaching group are responsible for all aspects. Ryan Mason is supposedly responsible for attacking….Ryan Mason for God‘s sake.Dier says Ange does not work on tactics, that’s bloody crazy for starters. What the hell is Angeball? Biggest load of tosh I’ve ever heard.
Does he even merit a style of football named after him?
I’m sure all the great managers in history did have their style of football named after them and if they did it was bcos they had earned the right to do so by winning major trophies.

Our midfield has been awful lately.
Sarr is a young player and has had a back problem apparently so he drop in form is understandable. Bissouma needs dropping from the starting lineup for the rest of the season as he has been terrible for weeks and Maddison needs to start on the bench too for a few weeks, he is off form since coming back from injury, that is understandable to a certain degree but his work rate has dropped big time compared to earlier in the season and he constant moaning all the time 😡
This why o don’t get Ange’s reluctance to at least give some of the younger players a go. I’m sure they will be more hungry than the complacent lot currently stinking out the place.

Further aligns with a video that says our 4-3-3 on paper is a 2-3-5 in practice.

Back
Top Bottom