New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its all OK!
You can have a nostalgic walk around OWHL in Google Street view
Google Maps

2lvzh35.png

2iw6bt2.png

and you can go inside :)

2wh2kpd.png

Surreal

Noticed that they are enclosing the compression ring in a square casing. Did wonder what those chunky
steel sections were that were lying on the pitch.

Last edited:
I thought they were the remains of a Neolithic temple.Just our luck ,eh? Half way through the stadium of our dreams only to find something of significant historical interest and we can't touch it ....
I have the Monday morning blues.

I know it's been the plan for a long time, but does anyone have an idea what the reasoning is behind us wanting three separate trays for the retractable pitch, rather than it being all in one unit?
If I had to guess, it'll be so that you can have supports for the south stand running between those two 'gaps' in the pitch (between the three segments) for stability.

If the pitch was all one piece then you'd have an entire width of the field where the south stand would have no support running below the basement.

If that makes sense?

If I had to guess, it'll be so that you can have supports for the south stand running between those two 'gaps' in the pitch (between the three segments) for stability.

If the pitch was all one piece then you'd have an entire width of the field where the south stand would have no support running below the basement.

If that makes sense?
Yeah, that does make a lot of sense.

I wonder how they manage in those stadia where the whole pitch retracts in one piece? There's some where the whole pitch moves completely outside the stadium as a single unit

I wonder how they manage in those stadia where the whole pitch retracts in one piece? There's some where the whole pitch moves completely outside the stadium as a single unit
I may well be wrong in my suspicion though! There could be other reasons for splitting it in three pieces (I.e. Reducing the strain on the motors that pull each part below the stand)

I know it's been the plan for a long time, but does anyone have an idea what the reasoning is behind us wanting three separate trays for the retractable pitch, rather than it being all in one unit?

The retractable pitch has to split into three to avoid the supports under the south terrace. The weight of the south stand, and entrance podium to south stand, means they could not bridge that width with a single span.

Other examples of retractable pitches do not have the same constraints of NWHL. Other examples tend to have the pitch moving out into an 'open' space. As I said in my previous post, NWHL has to not only support the south stand but the podium space area above also (with potentially thousands of people milling about too.

As I said in my previous post
Said as though I had opportunity to read it between my two posts that you quoted :dembelelol:

Good points though, and makes sense.

One thing I wonder about the three separate trays is how good the join between them will be, and whether it'll be noticeable. I guess the grass could deteriorate along the edges of each tray, or get caught and pull up. Would need a lot more careful management than a standard pitch.

will be interesting to see how they overcome this but our groundsmen seem to do a very decent job. I'm sure they will have a stack of questions and concerns over any solutions and will be involved at every point. I can't for a minute imagine a scenario where it's installed and the keys are handed over with huge dips in the joins... :levyeyes:

I'm not sure who else around the globe has a retractable real turf pitch but part of the brief sent out will be about us maintaining our place as one of the best pitches in the league. The response to brief will undoubtedly include details of how potential issues will be overcome. Say what you like about Levy but he does his research first (except with Sissoko) :levywtf:

The pitch doesn't actually go outside though, it'll be stored for the duration of the NFL game under the south stand and then brought back out pronto.
So it's going to be stored 'indoors' for 4-6 hours maybe? then brought back out asap to enable the groundsmen to inspect and tend to it. That way the amount of time it is 'split' will be minimal. then we can get the heat lamps out, humidifiers etc to keep it tip top. Our groundsmen have won awards for the integrity of our pitch! (I think)

The pitch doesn't actually go outside though, it'll be stored for the duration of the NFL game under the south stand and then brought back out pronto.
So it's going to be stored 'indoors' for 4-6 hours maybe? then brought back out asap to enable the groundsmen to inspect and tend to it. That way the amount of time it is 'split' will be minimal. then we can get the heat lamps out, humidifiers etc to keep it tip top. Our groundsmen have won awards for the integrity of our pitch! (I think)
I think it'll be for a fair bit longer than 4-6 hours. They'll want to have it set up for NFL mode well in advance of the day of a game, where possible.

Also, the pitch will be retracted for other events, such as concerts. If they're holding a large gig there (which is the intention) then the stage won't be installed on the day of the event.

The pitch could be indoors for a week at a time, easily.

I think it'll be for a fair bit longer than 4-6 hours. They'll want to have it set up for NFL mode well in advance of the day of a game, where possible.

Also, the pitch will be retracted for other events, such as concerts. If they're holding a large gig there (which is the intention) then the stage won't be installed on the day of the event.

The pitch could be indoors for a week at a time, easily.
A week with no natural sunlight. Less than zero chance. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom