New Spurs kit (unveiled July 12)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Re: New Spurs kit

YidoBuckler said:
Wouldn't it be great if nobody bought that red shirt.

I imagine a sea of Blue at their first home game next season...

I know people 'outside' football laugh at fans' deluded sense of 'tradition' and heritage...
but hoping for loyalty from the money-swayed mercenary players has long gone out of the window... as has assuming total unswerving support from fans who only thought Football started in 1992 and leave 10 minutes early if a win isn't guaranteed...
So if simply supporting the Shirt/Colours isn't sacred any more, then what is...?

fuck me football is in a bad way... I thought it was merely sick, but I fully expect the machine to be turned off any day now!!

...just put yourselves in Cardiff's position...

tottenham_2-2.png
Spurs-Home-2011-12redsmall.jpg

I think I need a bucket....

YidoBuckler said:

I think the point is that they aren't bothered if the real Cardiff fans don't buy it - they are pinning their hopes on being able to sell more of them in the Far East

Blanchflower said:
YidoBuckler said:

I think the point is that they aren't bothered if the real Cardiff fans don't buy it - they are pinning their hopes on being able to sell more of them in the Far East

...and therein lies both the problem, and the future of football.

Sad, sad days indeed!

1882 said:
Blanchflower said:

...and therein lies both the problem, and the future of football.

Sad, sad days indeed!

I think they're wrong though - the way to sell yourself to foreign markets is to sell a dream that seems out of those peoples reach.....make them feel like the only way they can be a part of it all is by buying the shirt and watching on TV

......to do that you need a vocal, lively, packed out home support......

If it seems like nobody can be arsed to cross the road to watch you then why the fuck is someone 1,000 miles away going to bother?!

1882 said:
YidoBuckler said:

I imagine a sea of Blue at their first home game next season...

I know people 'outside' football laugh at fans' deluded sense of 'tradition' and heritage...
but hoping for loyalty from the money-swayed mercenary players has long gone out of the window... as has assuming total unswerving support from fans who only thought Football started in 1992 and leave 10 minutes early if a win isn't guaranteed...
So if simply supporting the Shirt/Colours isn't sacred any more, then what is...?

fuck me football is in a bad way... I thought it was merely sick, but I fully expect the machine to be turned off any day now!!

...just put yourselves in Cardiff's position...

tottenham_2-2.png
Spurs-Home-2011-12redsmall.jpg

I think I need a bucket....

I'm angry at you for making me look at those shirts. I think a minor ban is in order

:parker:

yeh i think with american teams it doesn't really count. i think the moment i realised this was the last time spurs were in the US and i read a match review, where it called the team we were playing a franchise rather than i club :defoe:

mad said:
we were playing a franchise rather than i club :defoe:
Well, they are franchises. Considering there's no promotion/relegation and that a "premier" league was a condition of getting the 1994 World Cup, I can hardly fault MLS for not encouraging small athletic clubs around the US to become stadium-filling professional teams.

Where MLS differs from the typical franchise model is that, unlike running a McDonald's, where an owner buys the right to use McDonald's name, etc., in his or her restaurant, the "owner-operators" in MLS don't actually own their teams. Rather, they are co-investors in the league as a whole. MLS actually owns all the teams. There are reasons why this makes sense--mostly to avoid a Cosmos situation again--but it's very weird to, I suppose, Americans and Brits. Imagine if the FA owned all the teams in the PL, or something, or if the PL owned all the teams in the PL (well, relegation would end!).

But I'd argue that there's nothing inherently wrong with the franchise model when it comes to professional sports. Sure, there are few intense local rivalries, but rivalries can grow even when supporters aren't neighbors. The complaint I see most often--teams pick up and move--is, on the one hand, merely how franchises hold leverage over local governments (a lesson Levy has learned), and, on the other, a reflection of demographic shifts in the US, which, let's all remember, is full of cities not even 200 years old. When the baseball leagues began, hardly anyone lived past the Mississippi River. Now the west is exploding with people, and Phoenix is one of the quickest growing cities in the US (if not the quickest). Seems not like a terrible idea for the people out there to have a chance to have their own teams, as well.

(Incidentally, this is also true in the South, which was practically ignored by baseball for a century. Who knows the details of the situation, but it must've been helped along by a lack of urbanization in comparison to the industrial north. But now that cities in the South are growing, they are attracting teams)

VirginiaSpur said:
*cough* Sherman *cough cough* scorched earth *cough*
Pretty, pretty sure Sherman's not terribly responsible for the plantocracy in the South that had a viable economic model (with hilariously low labour costs) that didn't require industrialization or manufacturing to stay in clover. And the South got their industrialization and manufacturing later, anyway, when they found other ways to have hilariously low labour costs and attract factories from the north. Though now those industrialists have found places in the world with even lower labour costs, and now they can provide products cheap enough for the Americans whose jobs they shipped abroad to afford.

Incidentally, I love this map:

File:US_Mean_Center_of_Population_1790-2010.PNG

Éperons said:
mad said:
we were playing a franchise rather than i club :defoe:
Well, they are franchises. Considering there's no promotion/relegation and that a "premier" league was a condition of getting the 1994 World Cup, I can hardly fault MLS for not encouraging small athletic clubs around the US to become stadium-filling professional teams.

Where MLS differs from the typical franchise model is that, unlike running a McDonald's, where an owner buys the right to use McDonald's name, etc., in his or her restaurant, the "owner-operators" in MLS don't actually own their teams. Rather, they are co-investors in the league as a whole. MLS actually owns all the teams. There are reasons why this makes sense--mostly to avoid a Cosmos situation again--but it's very weird to, I suppose, Americans and Brits. Imagine if the FA owned all the teams in the PL, or something, or if the PL owned all the teams in the PL (well, relegation would end!).

But I'd argue that there's nothing inherently wrong with the franchise model when it comes to professional sports. Sure, there are few intense local rivalries, but rivalries can grow even when supporters aren't neighbors. The complaint I see most often--teams pick up and move--is, on the one hand, merely how franchises hold leverage over local governments (a lesson Levy has learned), and, on the other, a reflection of demographic shifts in the US, which, let's all remember, is full of cities not even 200 years old. When the baseball leagues began, hardly anyone lived past the Mississippi River. Now the west is exploding with people, and Phoenix is one of the quickest growing cities in the US (if not the quickest). Seems not like a terrible idea for the people out there to have a chance to have their own teams, as well.

(Incidentally, this is also true in the South, which was practically ignored by baseball for a century. Who knows the details of the situation, but it must've been helped along by a lack of urbanization in comparison to the industrial north. But now that cities in the South are growing, they are attracting teams)

I'd argue that Major League Baseball and to a lesser extent the NFL both started years ago under more of a club model. As you pointed out though, the fact that the US is a young nation that continues to undergo drastic shifts in population, the franchise model became the more practical way to go. I wish that MLS had been able to launch under something closer to the club model, but I don't think that ever would have worked. I'm just glad it exists, even though it may not be the sport in its purest form. I think it has contributed, along with the national team, to making the US a little more receptive to football over my lifetime.

Also, I'd argue that the club model does exist in the US to a certain extent, in the form of university athletics.

The South didn't have the density or level of industrialization of the North -- no doubt -- but it wasn't just a bunch of farms.

Some economists estimate that the lasting damage of Sherman's "March to the Sea" lingered for a full century after the end of the war, and that's specifically because he DID focus so heavily on gutting industry and infrastructure. In many places in the South you can still find "Sherman Bowties", where the troops tore up railway and wrapped the rails around the trees.

Sherman is probably the greatest single factor that forestalled the development of the South.

Regarding globalization and labor costs, you'd probably be surprised how quickly that gap is disappearing. As Asian labor markets slowly saturate and mature, various estimates predict that the costs of doing business in China vs. the South will disappear within 5 years. Considering that it will have taken about 15 years to reach that point with China, with its population of 1.3 billion, I expect that smaller developing markets with robust markets and committed governments will very quickly saturate and the coming decades will be very, very interesting.

FYI, I'm right here.
ThgQS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom