Money Talks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we then have to cling to the forlorn hope that we will punch above our weight. ?
It seems Levy expects this including his missus who is clearly out of his league. What's the attraction ?
Sorry to go off topic !!
Back to the point, it seems we need excellent scouting, coaches, youth set up and DOF plus other stuff I'm sure to try and reduce the financial gap.
I think it's possible to punch heavy, Levy needs to bring in the right people, or pay the wedge to someone to do it for him. He looked either gutted or angry sat there with his wife consoling him.
I wonder if he has the balls to turn this around ?
Yes, we do.
Because the revenue difference between Tottenham and the Manchester clubs are galactic. They can afford to spend an extra 150m on transfers and 100m on wages every year.

Genuine question, in good faith.

Is your seeming defense of ENIC simply that you’d rather stick with the devil you know? Do you worry that new owners could run us recklessly?
Hopefully you find my answer in similar faith man.

I don’t care who owns us. I only defend the owners when people post utter shite about them and I do include them in my idea of what the football club compromises. So I get defensive when people slag off or take the piss out of the club, or specifically my idea of who represents it.

I’m fine with new owners. Let’s give it a go. I’m all for emerging from the cave and hoping some big bastard animal doesn’t eat my face. But there’s fuck all I can do about it. None of us can.

But I’m also intrigued by the idea that Levy could turn this around. That he’s learned from his mistakes. We are in so much of a better position than when they took over, it’s not even funny. The odd dip aside, everything has gone upward. Unfortunately, this includes expectations, which I’d suggest are too high on here.

In conclusion, I’m fine giving Levy the summer to deliver some hope,
But if ENIC sold tomorrow, I’d be fine with that too.

I don’t care who owns us. I only defend the owners when people post utter shite about them and I do include them in my idea of what the football club compromises. So I get defensive when people slag off or take the piss out of the club, or specifically my idea of who represents it.

I’m fine with new owners. Let’s give it a go. I’m all for emerging from the cave and hoping some big bastard animal doesn’t eat my face. But there’s fuck all I can do about it. None of us can.

But I’m also intrigued by the idea that Levy could turn this around. That he’s learned from his mistakes. We are in so much of a better position than when they took over, it’s not even funny. The odd dip aside, everything has gone upward. Unfortunately, this includes expectations, which I’d suggest are too high on here.

San Diego Lol GIF by San Diego Zoo Wildlife Alliance

Fair enough.

I do not consider the owners of a football club to be representative of what a club means. I think it’s the aggregate of players, fans and history. They are certainly important, but not representative. So I have no problem with them getting stick, not least for the eye watering profits they make. Comes with the turf, so to speak.

I see no reason why this Summer should be any different. The lack of European football will be significant so let’s see what sort of sums are mooted for our rebuild.

You’re right that we’re in a better position, but the logical conclusion of the the ENIC project was the stadium. It’s been delivered and feels like a fitting time for them to walk away.

But, as you say, nothing we can do.

Genuine question, in good faith.

Is your seeming defense of ENIC simply that you’d rather stick with the devil you know? Do you worry that new owners could run us recklessly?
I think the answer is pretty obvious.
I think it’s time that ENIC moved on but I don’t think new owners are likely to make a huge difference unless they’re sports washers. Pretty much none of the new owners of EPL clubs outside of the petro- oligarchs have been able to make any sustained discernible difference to the EPL hierarchy over the years so I don’t really expect our new owners to do so either.
I suspect most supporters are gagging for limitless Qatari pockets when they talk about new ownership although it’s just as likely to be a SPAC with an ENIC-like model.
We wanted El Tel out and we wanted Sugar out and they’re gone. I see the entire process of us calling for new owners repeating in a decade.

Edited to add: if I’m going to get an ENIC-like ownership, I’d like the face of it to be a Spurs fan as opposed to Sir Jim Radcliffe, who will be on the phone checking United results.

I suspect most supporters are gagging for limitless Qatari pockets when they talk about new ownership although it’s just as likely to be a SPAC with an ENIC-like model.
The ENIC model depends upon Champions League football, both for TV money and to exploit our revenue-maximizing stadium. A hundred Beyonce concerts aren't worth as much to the club as CL participation.

From the nuclear waste site in which we sit, achieving that in the current marketplace (even considering it only requires 5th place most years most likely) would mean investment in the squad beyond anything Levy has ever approached.

A new buyer that came in and ran the club poorly and cheaply would lose an ungodly amount of money very rapidly, and the NEW new buyer wouldn't be long in coming.

The ENIC model depends upon Champions League football, both for TV money and to exploit our revenue-maximizing stadium. A hundred Beyonce concerts aren't worth as much to the club as CL participation.

From the nuclear waste site in which we sit, achieving that in the current marketplace (even considering it only requires 5th place most years most likely) would mean investment in the squad beyond anything Levy has ever approached.

A new buyer that came in and ran the club poorly and cheaply would lose an ungodly amount of money very rapidly, and the NEW new buyer wouldn't be long in coming.
From my reading of the accounts, that isn’t true.
ENIC will make a ‘profit’ (before depreciation) without Champions League football. It would obviously be a smaller return and wouldn’t necessarily justify a £2 billion plus investment.

Your reading of the situation basically excludes any sales to a ENIC-like entity. Why would any new buyer invest sn extra 100m plus annually to win 60m? The assumption suggests that only sports washers or wild optimists on the value of the EPL would be interested in buying us.

Pretty sure it’s the opposite. They don’t need CL football. We can happily go on without it and when it comes along it’s a bonus. The club is still run on a tight financial footing.

Which is where the fans struggle. Think it then all really boils down to personal expectations.

The fans not only want to see CL football they also want to see Spurs winning the league.
Despite the fact the last time we did it was 1961.

Now on our way to 70 years since we won the title.
40 years since we won a European trophy.
20 years since we won our last domestic cup.

But at the same time we are too big for the Europa Conference league.

From my reading of the accounts, that isn’t true.
ENIC will make a ‘profit’ (before depreciation) without Champions League football. It would obviously be a smaller return and wouldn’t necessarily justify a £2 billion plus investment.

Your reading of the situation basically excludes any sales to a ENIC-like entity. Why would any new buyer invest sn extra 100m plus annually to win 60m? The assumption suggests that only sports washers or wild optimists on the value of the EPL would be interested in buying us.
Pretty sure it’s the opposite. They don’t need CL football. We can happily go on without it and when it comes along it’s a bonus. The club is still run on a tight financial footing.

Which is where the fans struggle. Think it then all really boils down to personal expectations.

The fans not only want to see CL football they also want to see Spurs winning the league.
Despite the fact the last time we did it was 1961.

Now on our way to 70 years since we won the title.
40 years since we won a European trophy.
20 years since we won our last domestic cup.

But at the same time we are too big for the Europa Conference league.
I should have been more precise.

The comment I responded to said "a SPAC with an ENIC-like model".

For *that kind of purchaser* to make good on their investment requires CL football. True at any big club but especially true at Spurs where the revenue generation of the stadium is such an outsized part of the club's financial picture.

And I can't say it any better than saying that a purchaser would need to be "wild optimists on the value of the EPL". I wholeheartedly agree.

Daniel Levy was a wild optimist on the value of the EPL in 2001. He was dead right. And so long as he retained that optimism, warts and all, the club had itself in the mix and in the fight for significant things.

Levy doesn't believe in the business anymore. He might be right! But the club are better off in the hands of someone who believes, like ENIC did when he took over the club, that there is money to be made at the top of European football.

And the value of Spurs is just going to atrophy away until that handover occurs. It's in everybody's interest to move on, with the sole exception of Levy's personal delusions of grandeur and self-sabotaging refusal to admit he's wrong.

I should have been more precise.

The comment I responded to said "a SPAC with an ENIC-like model".

For *that kind of purchaser* to make good on their investment requires CL football. True at any big club but especially true at Spurs where the revenue generation of the stadium is such an outsized part of the club's financial picture.

And I can't say it any better than saying that a purchaser would need to be "wild optimists on the value of the EPL". I wholeheartedly agree.

Daniel Levy was a wild optimist on the value of the EPL in 2001. He was dead right. And so long as he retained that optimism, warts and all, the club had itself in the mix and in the fight for significant things.

Levy doesn't believe in the business anymore. He might be right! But the club are better off in the hands of someone who believes, like ENIC did when he took over the club, that there is money to be made at the top of European football.

And the value of Spurs is just going to atrophy away until that handover occurs. It's in everybody's interest to move on, with the sole exception of Levy's personal delusions of grandeur and self-sabotaging refusal to admit he's wrong.

Think US investors are thinking ESL will eventually happen.
The Middle East investors want it to stay the same and dominate the top places.

5 CL places soon for the English league (I think 8 out 10 times historically) so then it really becomes even more of a closed shop.

And I wonder what the INEOS team see as the long term future of the premier leagues

Back
Top Bottom