Missing Nabil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
This was supposed to be his break out year, but injury, the rise of Alli and return of Dembele, have left Bentaleb on the periphery. What does the youngster need to do to break back into the team? Billy takes a looks at the young Algerian international

Read article

This was supposed to be his break out year, but injury, the rise of Alli and return of Dembele, have left Bentaleb on the periphery. What does the youngster need to do to break back into the team? Billy takes a looks at the young Algerian international

Read article

For me Bentaleb would be one of the first names on the team sheet. I personally think he has more learning to do in terms of tracking runners than Mason, but for me, that defensive diligence side of his game is his only weakness and one easily corrected. I think he was not only one of our best players last season but one of the best CM's in the EPL. For a kid of 20 that was pretty remarkable.

I don't think Mason and Bentaleb were the problem last season (check out the blog I did about the contribution of the CM2 and front four - Che Pochettino's Revolutionary Insurgency Advancing ?) I think the biggest problem was the inability of the front four to do their defensive, pressing from the front job properly, and this pulled the CM2 (whoever played there) all over the place, especially with the FB's careering up the pitch.

As much as Dembele as had a couple of decent games in CM this season, he still takes too long to release the ball IMO, and allows opposition to get set behind it, and I think if we are going to persist with Dier (who I am less convinced about as a Cm than most others) I think it's vital that someone more metronomic & dynamic plays next to him to speed up transitional play.

I'm not going to even try to comment re tactical use of Nabil versus anyone else. But I love the fact that we have an abundance of talent fighting for their place in the first team, and that we have players who will easily fit into the team as and when needed.

Considering the struggles of the young Nabil, I'd be more than happy if Fiorentina made a fair offer for him.
Transfermarkt says 10 million.
Let's do it.
:p

For me Bentaleb would be one of the first names on the team sheet. I personally think he has more learning to do in terms of tracking runners than Mason, but for me, that defensive diligence side of his game is his only weakness and one easily corrected.

I don't think Mason and Bentaleb were the problem last season /QUOTE]

Bentelab and Mason were part of the problem last and would be again if played together!

Bentelab has many weaknesses IMO his passing quality being the worst!

He has potential but that's it.

EL back up only!

:nawty:

Bentaleb has been given a run in the team, and did a reasonable job, for an inexperienced pro. For me he was okay, and showed some good qualities, but didn't do anything astonishing that made my eyes light up, and get me leaning forward in my seat to see what he would do next.

I hope he has the maturity to see that just because he had a run in the team, it doesn't mean he has a gold pass to the first eleven - and that he's prepared to graft and earn the right to play. I have confidence in Poch to pick the best players to do the job. If he is making the strides to earn his way back, then I am sure he will be given the opportunity.

I think Alli and Dier have crowded him and Mason out of a starter slot though.

At the risk of doing a Gibbs - he could make left back his own, if he wanted it.
IMHO

Bentaleb has been given a run in the team, and did a reasonable job, for an inexperienced pro. For me he was okay, and showed some good qualities, but didn't do anything astonishing that made my eyes light up, and get me leaning forward in my seat to see what he would do next.

I hope he has the maturity to see that just because he had a run in the team, it doesn't mean he has a gold pass to the first eleven - and that he's prepared to graft and earn the right to play. I have confidence in Poch to pick the best players to do the job. If he is making the strides to earn his way back, then I am sure he will be given the opportunity.

I think Alli and Dier have crowded him and Mason out of a starter slot though.

At the risk of doing a Gibbs - he could make left back his own, if he wanted it.
IMHO

But who are you using as your barometer to judge Bentaleb ? Which EPL CM's last year (or this) are lighting your eyes up ?

A CM's job is rarely to light eyes up. They are the engine room, the functionary's the water carriers and busy ****s that allow other to light eyes up.

He was a consistent performer and major contributor to our transitional side, having it's first season under a new manager, with many of those around them malfunctioning, finishing in 5th place.

I think the best Spurs performance I've seen in the last few years was our utter mullering of Woolwich last season. Watch that game and Bentaleb's performance. I doubt if there was a better Cm performance in the EPL last year. And he's 20yo. 20.

Can't wait for him to come back

As long as he's learned to pass to team members rather than the opposition then yes.

And before any genius says I'm still banging on about the pass against ManU I'm not!

It's a serious flaw in his game and it's about his technique in not looking up before the final delivery!

So hopefully Poch will address it.

:pochserious:

He has bundles of talent and ability for a 20 year old. He has a big future with us. He'll get chances because at some point we'll pick up an injury and personally I think he's ahead of Mason in being more rounded and with greater potential as he's younger so when Dier, Dembele or Alli get injured he is the obvious choice to get some game time.

But who are you using as your barometer to judge Bentaleb ? Which EPL CM's last year (or this) are lighting your eyes up ?

A CM's job is rarely to light eyes up. They are the engine room, the functionary's the water carriers and busy ****s that allow other to light eyes up.

He was a consistent performer and major contributor to our transitional side, having it's first season under a new manager, with many of those around them malfunctioning, finishing in 5th place.

I think the best Spurs performance I've seen in the last few years was our utter mullering of Woolwich last season. Watch that game and Bentaleb's performance. I doubt if there was a better Cm performance in the EPL last year. And he's 20yo. 20.
I was using my eyes and 45 odd years of watching footballers play football to make my judgement.
But don't worry, apparently it means fuck all.
I don't think he's a bad player. I just don't see him as being the messianic coming of a new dawn of great football.
I did watch the game and a great and influential role takes more than one good cross in my opinion.
I'm glad he makes you feel good when you watch him. There's nothing wrong with having favourites.

What did we win without Nabil or Nacer? 6 wins and 8 draws?

Waaaa it exceptional!!!!!!

Do we need to remind you that tenth place is only 5 pts behind us?

We still conceded and we also played crappy games and all of that after FITHTEEN GAMES!

Where is the real midfield when everyone goes attacking and leaves free space behind them

I still prefer Nabil than the midfielders who come back with draws

it's my opinion so no need to laugh about me

thank you

What did we win without Nabil or Nacer? 6 wins and 8 draws?

Waaaa it exceptional!!!!!!

Do we need to remind you that tenth place is only 5 pts behind us?

We still conceded and we also played crappy games and all of that after FITHTEEN GAMES!

Where is the real midfield when everyone goes attacking and leaves free space behind them

I still prefer Nabil than the midfielders who come back with draws

it's my opinion so no need to laugh about me

thank you

Fine, you won't mind me disagreeing with it then. What are you moaning about really? Fucking 'fans' that support teams because of certain players. Fuck off back to FB.

Back
Top Bottom