Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So why don't we buy some some decent players then ?

Ahh its all so simple isn't it. JUST BUY BETTERER PLAYERS!!!!

Our financial situation has been excruciatingly documented by myself and many others on here. I have no faith that you will read or understand the information within, or if you do that it will change your pre-conceived agenda (perhaps you need to change your username so it is topical) but i draw your attention to the following articles:

http://swissramble.blogspot.de/2016/04/tottenham-hotspur-moving-on-up.html

And then ask you: where does the money come from? For the increased transfer fees / wages we will need to constantly sign and keep elite level players? Unless we are bankrolled by a kindly benefactor / Bond villain / Nation of questionable human rights... or we create massive amount of debt??

And if there are "decent" players available within our current budget / wage structure then who should we buy?

Last edited:
People sometimes think I am expecting to much, and being over ambitious, when actually I am quite the opposite. In fact my most enjoyable times at the Lane were when were average, and beating the odd top side every now again was the pinnacle of the season. What I want to see Spurs do is attempt to win the things we have a chance of winning, and to stop chasing dreams. Poch consistently puts weak sides out in cups such as the EL, the FA cup, and the League cup. Call me a glory hunter if you wish, but I want glory, and glory is winning things. I get sickened when so called supporters belittle domestic trophies, when in reality they are the only trophies we should be worrying about. Yeh, it's great to qualify for the CL, but let's be realistic, we aint going to win it. Poch is not a bad manager, but nothing will convince me that he is the man to get the very best out of our players.

People sometimes think I am expecting to much, and being over ambitious, when actually I am quite the opposite. In fact my most enjoyable times at the Lane were when were average, and beating the odd top side every now again was the pinnacle of the season. What I want to see Spurs do is attempt to win the things we have a chance of winning, and to stop chasing dreams. Poch consistently puts weak sides out in cups such as the EL, the FA cup, and the League cup. Call me a glory hunter if you wish, but I want glory, and glory is winning things. I get sickened when so called supporters belittle domestic trophies, when in reality they are the only trophies we should be worrying about. Yeh, it's great to qualify for the CL, but let's be realistic, we aint going to win it. Poch is not a bad manager, but nothing will convince me that he is the man to get the very best out of our players.
Not even if he "won something?"

:kanewtf:

Our financial situation has been excruciatingly documented by myself and many others on here.
And if there are "decent" players available within our current budget / wage structure then who should we buy?
Yes. It's been very well documented that we are the 11th wealthiest club on the planet

Yes. It's been very well documented that we are the 11th wealthiest club on the planet
And the players we targeted that we didn't get went to clubs above us in that list. Willian and Michy for instance. Isco turned us down.

Who else should we have got? Being 11th means fuck all when the 10 above you hoard players like Real, Barca, Bayern and City, or use other clubs as their scouts like Chelsea.

Until we can compete financially our targets are going to be young players we look to improve with our fantastic facilities. We can't go out and spend 35mil on Isco whilst giving him 150k a week. Not yet. Especially when 10 other clubs can offer better compensation.

Makes me laugh that people moan about the ''lack of quality players'' we bought in then can't name players we should have got. Then go ''oh, that's the scouts job don't ask me that''.

Brexit Britain.

Last edited:

Our financial situation has been excruciatingly documented by myself and many others on here. I have no faith that you will read or understand the information within, or if you do that it will change your pre-conceived agenda (perhaps you need to change your username so it is topical) but i draw your attention to the following articles:

http://swissramble.blogspot.de/2016/04/tottenham-hotspur-moving-on-up.html

And then ask you: where does the money come from? For the increased transfer fees / wages we will need to constantly sign and keep elite level players? Unless we are bankrolled by a kindly benefactor / Bond villain / Nation of questionable human rights... or we create massive amount of debt??

I always fancied Joe Lewis as a bit of a Bond villain, actually.

And the players we targeted that we didn't get went to clubs above us in that list. Willian and Michy for instance. Isco turned us down.

Who else should we have got? Being 11th means fuck all when the 10 above you hoard players like Real, Barca, Bayern and City, or use other clubs as their scouts like Chelsea.

Until we can compete financially our targets are going to be young players we look to improve with our fantastic facilities. We can't go out and spend 35mil on Isco whilst giving him 150k a week. Not yet. Especially when 10 other clubs can offer better compensation.

Makes me laugh that people moan about the ''lack of quality players'' we bought in then can't name players we should have got. Then go ''oh, that's the scouts job don't ask me that''.

Brexit Britain.
People always used to use our inability to offer CL football as an excuse for failing to land top quality players. When we make it, the same people now say we can't attract top players because we can't compete with the clubs that missed out. It's fucking laughable. And what's brexit got to do with it. I'm a staunch remainer. Are you blaming brexit now for our shortcomings ?

People always used to use our inability to offer CL football as an excuse for failing to land top quality players. When we make it, the same people now say we can't attract top players because we can't compete with the clubs that missed out. It's fucking laughable. And what's brexit got to do with it. I'm a staunch remainer. Are you blaming brexit now for our shortcomings ?
It was a joke about saying you want something, but not actually knowing what it is you want. ''We should have got better players!! I can't name any gettable ones though!'' Chill.

Yea, people, including me, did say that and then we got CL and encountered these problems. You can't foresee every problem and when they pop up you have to adjust your viewpoint accordingly.

We thought CL would be enough for some. Evidently, with this new money in the Prem, it doesn't. Players like Sane, Wijnaldum, Kante, Michy and Willian showed they don't need CL like some of them had said. Just CL money. We were wrong on that count.

Laughable? Only an arrogant stick in the mud would find admitting error and adjusting accordingly laughable.

You probably still blame Levy for not getting Willian.

Your point adds nothing stadium denier.

The Forbes list shows the clubs value including all assets. It's not available cash flow. And we're actually 10th globally on the most recent list.

It also doesn't reflect what % of that value is debt. Of the English teams above us; Both Utd and Woolwich owe roughly 20% of their value to the banks. Ultimately they have less control over their own destiny and proportions of their revenue must be assigned to managing that debt. Chelsea and City are listed as having 0% debt, but their cash injections came in the form of interest free "Loans" from their principle owners.

Our debt is listed as 2% of our value. Levy's cautious approach to the running of the club has afforded us more long term financial stability than any of the English teams above us.

Performance wise, at the moment, we are where you would expect relative to to the teams above us on that list. In fact i would say we over achieve, considering Liverpool are generally always a couple of places (and half a billion pounds) above us in the rich list, but we've finished above them for 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

This may mean nothing to you. This financial security may not win you any points in bragging matches. It doesn't bring glory. But it does mean that we are in a better position than any other team in the league to achieve maintainable success in the long term future.

Last edited:
Your point adds nothing stadium denier.

The Forbes list shows the clubs value including all assets. It's not available cash flow. And we're actually 10th globally on the most recent list.

It also doesn't reflect what % of that value is debt. Of the English teams above us; Both Utd and Woolwich owe roughly 20% of their value to the banks. Ultimately they have less control over their own destiny and proportions of their revenue must be assigned to maintaining that debt. Chelsea and City are listed as having 0% debt, but their cash injections came in the form of interest free "Loans" from their principle owners.

Our debt is listed as 2% of our value. Levy's cautious approach to the running of the club has afforded us more long term financial stability than any of the English teams above us.

Performance wise, at the moment, we are where you would expect relative to to the teams above us on that list. In fact i would say we over achieve, considering Liverpool are generally always a couple of places (and half a billion pounds) above us in the rich list, but we've finished above them for 6 out of the last 7 seasons.

This may mean nothing to you. This financial security may not win you any points in bragging matches. It doesn't bring glory. But it does mean that we are in a better position than any other team in the league to achieve maintainable success in the long term future.
So you agree with my statement we're the 11th wealthiest club on the planet. Then give me a disagree for posting it .:eriksenlol:

Last edited:
The amount of people saying, "ANYONE WHO WANTS POCH OUT...(Enter insults)".

Who's said Poch out? I think there was maybe 1 troll. Other than that no one, including myself, has said "Poch out" from what i can see? I just think he's done a shit job over the past few weeks and that he changes tact.

You're fighting imaginary people.

So you agree with my statement we're the 11th wealthiest club on the planet. Then give me a disagree for posting it .:eriksenlol:
I think it's 12th, not 11th. And either way, it doesn't mean much when you're in the same league as 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.....if Spurs played in Italy or France it would be a different story. Juventus and Dortmund might be "only" the 10th and 11th richest clubs out there, but they're much more attractive for players because they can be expected to qualify for the CL year after year, and challenge for the title in their respective leagues as well. Not to mention that neither of them have to build a new stadium.

Deloitte Football Money League - Wikipedia

EDIT: And in Juve's case, they might as well hand every new signing a Serie A winner's medal in advance.

Last edited:
I think it's 12th, not 11th. And either way, it doesn't mean much when you're in the same league as 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th.....if Spurs played in Italy or France it would be a different story. Juventus and Dortmund might be "only" the 10th and 11th richest clubs out there, but they're much more attractive for players because they can be expected to qualify for the CL year after year, and challenge for the title in their respective leagues as well.

Deloitte Football Money League - Wikipedia
Fair point. But I'm sure CSKA, Leverkusen and Monaco are below us. And we couldn't even compete with that lot.

Fair point. But I'm sure CSKA, Leverkusen and Monaco are below us. And we couldn't even compete with that lot.
Definitely, there's no excuse for that. I was just talking about why it's tough to sign "top" players, the kind who make games against Leverkusen and Monaco a walk in the park (Isco, for example).

The amount of people saying, "ANYONE WHO WANTS POCH OUT...(Enter insults)".

Who's said Poch out? I think there was maybe 1 troll. Other than that no one, including myself, has said "Poch out" from what i can see? I just think he's done a shit job over the past few weeks and that he changes tact.

You're fighting imaginary people.
I think it makes them feel popular.
Anyone who says kane should be sold is a fucking gooner!!!!

Back
Top Bottom