Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Someone who picks the strongest side for our most important games?

Again, who on here agrees with the decision to rest Walker, & Vertonghen? (And Eriksen)

People been saying we should drop eriksen the last month or so due to his current form..... now it's a bad decision not to start him? :pochsulk:

STRONGLY AGREE

"Mate i know you've not eaten in a week, and have spent the last twenty years living off scraps - but you can either have this dry stale cracker now or wait another 24 hours and have a 7 course banquet "

"I'll have the cracker thanks, and then say it was shit. "

Is sissoko the cracker?
:adelol:

We've failed in the league cup and the champions league so far this season and its only November.
Yep. Sadly we're undefeated yet 5th and about to play a team at a ground where 1pt is likely the most we'll get.

I do like Poch, don't want him sacked by any means but this squad has deficiencies. Some of which could have been addressed. Why sell Lennon, Townsend and Chadli in the space of 18 months but inadequately replace those players.

We aren't getting enough productivity out of the 3 behind the striker. Only Son out of he, Eriksen, Lamela and Alli gets a pass so far. For that reason I'm remaining patient with Janssen (albeit it is wearing thinner by the week).

I think I saw a stat though that Dembele, Toby, Jan, Lloris and Kane have only all played in a game once this season. So maybe our depth isn't actually brilliant and might actually be seriously lacking in areas.

Do you think we will (or need to) spend in the January window?

Definitely. For all the praise Levy has gotten for his business sense, he is utter shit at getting commercial deals, which is the only real way to make Spurs capable of signing these top players. Compare it what the Boston guys did with Liverpool. Yes, some of it is cringy, but they're now richer than Juve and that allows them to pay the wages of players like Firmino and Mane (and will probably let them keep Coutinho for a while). Most of the money from the new stadium will probably go towards paying for the new stadium for a long time.

The back three against Woolwich and the 4-1-4-1 against Man City say otherwise. The past month or so has been disappointing, but I think that's down to injuries more than anything else.

He's managing the 6th-richest team in England. He's finished 5th and 3rd. I don't think it's just a "bit of luck", he's taken Spurs above the level that people thought they were capable of two years ago.

Liverpool have always been rich and been a far more marketable side than we have due to their long history of success. Fenway seem to have tapped into the US market more and got better commercial deals from there. They have also always been able to attract top players. To suggest Liverpool weren't capable of doing this is laughable and we're years away from being as big a draw as them.

Levy/ENIC have done well get the deals we have, surprised you think he could be doing better. Considering year on year we score better commercial deals and endorsements.

Seriously are people really OK with the decision to rest Walker and Vertonghen in a game of such importance?

Eriksen you could make an excuse for it being form based but we know it wasn't.
I wasn't. Fuck Chelsea on the weekend. Fuck that Jan had to play left back.

This was a must win game and from our first choice back 4 only Rose played, and he only played because he is suspended for the weekend.

LOL. Don't forget the new stadium needs paying for. Also, the additional revenue from the stadium will not generate nearly enough cash to sign top class players. The fact is that Poch's signings have been dreadful, the football has been dreadful, he doesn't appear to take any competitions seriously, and he has no plan B. To be honest, he is like Martin Jol, he had a bit of luck and is now being found out. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you and I think, I can't see levy standing for this crap for much longer. POCH OUT

Your opinion is alarming and perhaps demonstrates a lack of perspective and good judgement.

Am I classing the joint up or what?

Back to the Poch thread. Third in a two horse race last year when the top sides didn't perform. A 6 game run without a goal from open play. Out of League cup, and the CL. No chance of top four, and no doubt he will have us exiting the FA cup at the first available chance. The team plays ugly football, and there is never a plan B. I gave him till the end of the season, but Christmas would be better. Eddie Howe would be nice

No chance of a top 4 finish?
Never a plan B?
Why the fuck do some of our fans think that we are entitled to all this glory all of a sudden? Look at every club above us in the league, the main difference between them and us is money....they can afford to pay the £200k a week wages.... but then let's look at the last results with them .....

Gooners 1-1
Mac shitty 2-0 win
Manc united 3-0 win
Chavs 2-2

Please enlighten me who on the budget that we have at the club and with our wage structure, who do you think would do a better job then Poch?
:dembelefingers::avbfu:

Fair enough.

We still have 3 competitions to compete in. This doom and gloom nonsense is way too premature.

Many people were like this after our slow start last year. Then we had our best season in the Premier League era.

In December we play Swansea, United, Hull, Burnley and Soton followed by Watford on New Years Day.

Things could look a lot brighter in 6 weeks. Our dodgy form has to end somewhere and getting back into our groove for these nice looking fixtures would be great.
I'll ask you a question because I'm not doom and gloom on everything. Some aspects of the club I love.

For all his faults I massively respect Levy as chairman. Look at where we were when ENIC took over and where we are now, sadly I'm not in the UK so I can't see first hand what the new stadium is looking like.

Ok, we have 3 competitions to compete in. That's still not certain though, we may even miss Europa from here.

My question is, given the commentary about some individuals being 'doom and gloom' is it fair to have been critical of our Summer transfer activity at the time?

If we're striving for objectivity in debates on a topic (this club) that will illicit emotional responses given the mass amounts of passion we all have for the club then why can't we then or now objectively look at the squad and concede we didn't have a great window.

As for your comment about slow start then we had our best performance in the PL era. Whilst it is entirely possible that can be replicated or improved upon, isn't it also entirely reasonable to suggest that it may not happen that way again this season. It appears as though competition for top 4 places will be stiffer this season.

Back to the Poch thread. Third in a two horse race last year when the top sides didn't perform. A 6 game run without a goal from open play. Out of League cup, and the CL. No chance of top four, and no doubt he will have us exiting the FA cup at the first available chance. The team plays ugly football, and there is never a plan B. I gave him till the end of the season, but Christmas would be better. Eddie Howe would be nice

kirk1.gif
kirk2.gif

tumblr_mbk5ffkZ2D1qcj4qlo1_250.gif
tumblr_mbk5ffkZ2D1qcj4qlo3_250.gif

Last edited:
I'll ask you a question because I'm not doom and gloom on everything. Some aspects of the club I love.

For all his faults I massively respect Levy as chairman. Look at where we were when ENIC took over and where we are now, sadly I'm not in the UK so I can't see first hand what the new stadium is looking like.

Ok, we have 3 competitions to compete in. That's still not certain though, we may even miss Europa from here.

My question is, given the commentary about some individuals being 'doom and gloom' is it fair to have been critical of our Summer transfer activity at the time?

If we're striving for objectivity in debates on a topic (this club) that will illicit emotional responses given the mass amounts of passion we all have for the club then why can't we then or now objectively look at the squad and concede we didn't have a great window.

As for your comment about slow start then we had our best performance in the PL era. Whilst it is entirely possible that can be replicated or improved upon, isn't it also entirely reasonable to suggest that it may not happen that way again this season. It appears as though competition for top 4 places will be stiffer this season.
At the time we wanted DM cover, a Striker and a winger. We got them all and more. No one at the time was vociferous in saying we had a bad window, most were positive. Only now are people popping up because they have hindsight on their side and wallow in moaning about everything.

As for the suggestion of a good or bad season. Shitting on our team and our manager in November is premature when unbeaten in 5th, 4 points off top. Unless of course you think we won't hit form all season. Which is very unlikely.

:dembelefingers:

LOL. Don't forget the new stadium needs paying for. Also, the additional revenue from the stadium will not generate nearly enough cash to sign top class players. The fact is that Poch's signings have been dreadful, the football has been dreadful, he doesn't appear to take any competitions seriously, and he has no plan B. To be honest, he is like Martin Jol, he had a bit of luck and is now being found out. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you and I think, I can't see levy standing for this crap for much longer. POCH OUT
Levy is doing deals with NFL, Stadium naming rights and new kit and the increased revenue will mitigate debt and allow money for new players. This has to be the way forward. It won't happen over night but Spurs are on the way up. Changing manager at this time is wrong. The club needs stability and continuity. Too many emotional knee jerk comments after poor result last night. Headless chickens do not rule the roost. Poch is one of the best new managers around and deserves a chance.

Levy is doing deals with NFL, Stadium naming rights and new kit and the increased revenue will mitigate debt and allow money for new players. This has to be the way forward. It won't happen over night but Spurs are on the way up. Changing manager at this time is wrong. The club needs stability and continuity. Too many emotional knee jerk comments after poor result last night. Headless chickens do not rule the roost. Poch is one of the best new managers around and deserves a chance.

This

At the time we wanted DM cover, a Striker and a winger. We got them all and more. No one at the time was vociferous in saying we had a bad window, most were positive. Only now are people popping up because they have hindsight on their side and wallow in moaning about everything.

As for the suggestion of a good or bad season. Shitting on our team and our manager in November is premature when unbeaten in 5th, 4 points off top. Unless of course you think we won't hit form all season. Which is very unlikely.
Well I for one and if I could be bothered I'd find it wasn't happy selling Chadli for N'Koudou. Seems a downgrade to me.
Wanyama I agreed with wholeheartedly, great purchase. Sissoko is the one I appear to have misjudged, thought that being alongside his national captain would extract some good football out of him. Not looking good in that regard.

I'm sure we will hit form at some point, hopefully on the weekend. My concern is whether it'll end up being enough. Chelsea, Scum, City and Pool. All looking strong. Will our pick up in form be enough. Time will tell.

I'm not shitting on the manager btw, although I suspect that wasn't referring to me. I like a lot of what he does, appears as though to me we have not the clearest plan when in attack.

In the last year we lost Nacer Chadli, Andros Townsend, Nabil Bentaleb, Ryan Mason and Clinton N'Jie. In came Moussa Sissoko, Vincent Janssen, Victor Wanyama, Georges-Kevin N'Koudou and Pau Lopez. At very best, the changes mean they've maintained the same overall quality.
Do not know how to set up Poll but wonder how many would prefer the players sold to their replacements.

I was happy with Wanyama. Wasn't convinced by Janssen, GKN, or Sissoko, but I've been willing to give them a shot and they really haven't produced the goods.

I was happy with Wanyama. Wasn't convinced by Janssen, GKN, or Sissoko, but I've been willing to give them a shot and they really haven't produced the goods.
They're 22 and 21 respectively. They have more than enough time to turn that around.

Sissoko was shithouse from the get go imo and a panic buy. GKN has had moments that stir optimism for me.

Rarely does a foreign player do well in their first season in the Prem.

Back
Top Bottom