Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There is a lot of belief and optimism among us regarding Poch. I,m definitely one. Always was even before the appointment. But if I,m right, prior to Poch's appointment, De Boer was the man. If you could. Would you still opt for De boer? Just interested to know how much Poch has won over the De Boer crowd at this stage.

In my opinion the hardest thing for Poch to do is embed the players returning from World Cup duty who he has yet to work with.
Lloris
Vorm
Vertongen
Bentelab
Dembele
Paulinho
Chadli

Will the players adaption to Poch's style not be slightly hampered by the fact they won't have had a proper pre season? Was thinking about it and the spine of our team is basically there and none have had much time with Poch nor on the training pitch.

The one positive is the fact we look good already and have these players still to return!

There is a lot of belief and optimism among us regarding Poch. I,m definitely one. Always was even before the appointment. But if I,m right, prior to Poch's appointment, De Boer was the man. If you could. Would you still opt for De boer? Just interested to know how much Poch has won over the De Boer crowd at this stage.
I was one of those pro-FdB.

Long story short, I think Levy made a very good decision. I know we haven't got much to go on results-wise, but Poch has definitely won me over. He's just a very Tottenham Hotspur-ish figure. I like what I have read and seen about him recently. And like you mentioned, I really like this optimism about Poch among all of us.

Hopefully it continues to carry on into the thick end of the season because it's really nice to see a broad-scale unity for once.

I was one of those pro-FdB.

Long story short, I think Levy made a very good decision. I know we haven't got much to go on results-wise, but Poch has definitely won me over. He's just a very Tottenham Hotspur-ish figure. I like what I have read and seen about him recently. And like you mentioned, I really like this optimism about Poch among all of us.

Hopefully it continues to carry on into the thick end of the season because it's really nice to see a broad-scale unity for once.
Respect that. Of course not possible, but I would like to know how many would now still prefer FDB. Hypothetically of course. As in reality, it would be EPL suicide. From what I,m hearing and reading. I think it would be very close to nil! Love the thought that the vast, vast majority are behind our manager for once. i.e The splitters that were AVB and TS.

COYS!

They'll inevitably be a step behind, but I'm sure the quality of each will allow them up to speed pretty quickly. In Schneiderlin's interview posted in another thread, he mentioned it took them about six months to fully instill what Poch was teaching them anyway, so I don't think it will be that insurmountable of a learning curve upon them dudes' return.

Very curious to see what's done with Bentaleb. Clearly a quality player Poch would love to work with, but unless we sell one of Dembele or Paulinho I just don't see him getting much playing time unless Poch just decides to roll with him at CDM if Sandro goes and we don't manage to pull in Schneiderlin.

I wanted FDB more, but now that we got Poch I'm glad we got him- probably a mixture of the good vibes, promising pre season shit, reading about Poch's tactics, Lamela looking very settled etc.

I thought we couldn't go wrong between the two. But one of the big things that got me realty excited this summer about Pochettino was actually the Chilean national team. Their coach Sampaoli—another Argentinian— also has ties to Bielsa like Pochettino. For me, Chile was one of the most entertaining teams of the tournament with their blitzing press. At one point it dawned on me, holy shit that is going to be our style soon. To see how effective and fun to watch that style was on the biggest stage really just filled me with a whole new level of excitement for Pochettino. Plus, all the stuff the Southampton guys have said about his coaching ability, style, and tactics has been extremely encouraging.

I thought we couldn't go wrong between the two. But one of the big things that got me realty excited this summer about Pochettino was actually the Chilean national team. Their coach Sampaoli—another Argentinian— also has ties to Bielsa like Pochettino. For me, Chile was one of the most entertaining teams of the tournament with their blitzing press. At one point it dawned on me, holy shit that is going to be our style soon. To see how effective and fun to watch that style was on the biggest stage really just filled me with a whole new level of excitement for Pochettino. Plus, all the stuff the Southampton guys have said about his coaching ability, style, and tactics has been extremely encouraging.

Didn't know that about the Chilean boss, but it does make sense. Wasn't so long ago Bielsa coached them himself, so it probably wasn't that difficult of a transition. But yeah man, that's some really exciting stuff because they were a blast to watch. Almost reminded me of the Japanese in 2010, buncha smaller guys but in fantastic shape and used very crisp passing to force the opposition back and protect their own goal in lieu of their lack in physicality. Japs disappointed me quite a bit in this tournament after how awesome they were to watch in South Africa, so I was delighted to see a surprise team remind me of them.

And as we saw from the friendlies, clearly Poch has put great emphasis on forward passing. Even Capoue, as the most reserved and holding option, looked directly forward to find a forward in an advanced position primarily instead of even just finding the other reserved central mid. And man, talk about crisp, he was spot on. Unleashed some incredible passes in Toronto. He's also played essentially a DLP in every half, even if that option doesn't provide the range of passing Capoue did/does.

Personally I did want de Boer even up until the end, but over time of reading opinions and literature on the guy, the reasons so many were excited about Poch led me to at least be open to the idea. I do think de Boer would have brought in more of the kind of players I'd like to see at Spurs, but who knows it's still only July in his first window with the club.

As naive as it sounds, I'm honestly encouraged for our game at Upton Park from the friendlies, while was not happy to see us draw that as the opener when the schedules were announced. I think as long as the players have a philosophy to hold onto, they won't have the mental bitchassness of last year and then thereby would make things much more difficult on themselves to shoot themselves in the foot.

I think Capoue could be a real star. His passing when he's on form is very good. Disguises and weights them well. Even against Toronto he was zipping it 30+yards to feet effortlessly. Last season before his injury he was excellent, when he came back he got put at CB, dropped from the team, and then had a patch of bad form.

this is the guy we will soon see

Capoue did complete the most passes in Ligue 1 the season we bought him. I didn't seen quite the crispness of passing everyone else saw versus Toronto. I thought he misplaced a few and looked frustrated with himself but I do think he has the natural ability to be a starter for us. I think the key for him will be getting in phenomenal shape. That interview with Schneiderlin he talked about how difficult it was to have the stamina to play in Pochettino's system. Whether it was injury or discontent, Capoue was visibly out of shape last year.

Capoue did complete the most passes in Ligue 1 the season we bought him. I didn't seen quite the crispness of passing everyone else saw versus Toronto. I thought he misplaced a few and looked frustrated with himself but I do think he has the natural ability to be a starter for us. I think the key for him will be getting in phenomenal shape. That interview with Schneiderlin he talked about how difficult it was to have the stamina to play in Pochettino's system. Whether it was injury or discontent, Capoue was visibly out of shape last year.

dont get me wrong, pass completion is a good measure but its not the only consideration..
i thought capoue was playing the ball more vertical and direct and as a result wasnt always making the pass, i think this is something in poch's system we will see more of, vertical passing game with the defensive press to get the ball back and avoid the counter..much rather this style than possession with no penetration as we saw under AVB.

Hmmmm, still not convinced about Capoue.

Great start, but haven't seen much since. Really didn't notice his supposed excellent performance against Toronto, if that even counts.

Back
Top Bottom