Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should be intersting......

Van Gaal - "Really looking forward to watching our new signings in action".

Poch - "Really looking forward to my dinner later. It's roast lamb".

Man Utd will have 3 new players in their starting line up in Darmian, Depay and Schweinsteiger.

We will potentially play 2 new signings in Alderweireld and Alli - could even be three if Trippier nicks a start.

My short hand...

We need players, but only who will improve. Our targets are private but hope for quick movement. Our philosophy is to bring in young players for the future.

Giving nothing away, cunt.

Pochettino discusses his plans for Tottenham’s young stars
22:30 07 August 2015

By Ben Pearce, Tottenham correspondent

image.jpg

Dele Alli has impressed in Tottenham's pre-season campaign

Mauricio Pochettino says all of the Tottenham youngsters who were involved in the Audi Cup will be part of his first-team squad this season – and he has no fears about a lack of experience in the camp.

Comment
Dele Alli, Harry Winks, Josh Onomah, Tom Carroll and goalkeeper Luke McGee all took their chances to impress at this week’s tournament in Munich, as Spurs faced Real Madrid on Tuesday before taking on AC Milan on Wednesday.

Given their lack of playing time in the Premier League, it was expected that some of those junior talents might be loaned out for the upcoming campaign – but Pochettino intends to keep them all at White Hart Lane.

“Yes the main young group of younger players will stay with us,” he said. “We also have [Alex] Pritchard, who was injured during our pre-season. He is nearly ready to come back and start to train with us. It was a shame because we expect a lot from him but he was injured through all of pre-season.

“We have a lot of young players that we need to help, because we have the space now for them to train with us.”

New signing Alli was particularly impressive against Madrid, nutmegging former Spurs midfielder Luka Modric. And, even thought the 19-year-old’s last league game was in the third tier of the national pyramid with MK Dons, he may well be involved against Manchester United at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Asked if Alli would be part of the matchday squad, Pochettino said: “Yes, maybe yes. He is very young and his potential is big and that’s why we signed him.

“We always have to be careful with young players as pre-season is not the same as the Premier League, but we are happy with all our young players here.

“The idea is to keep him here and provide him with a different environment to last season at Milton Keynes, and to try to develop his quality.”

Tottenham had the youngest squad in the top flight last season, with their starting XI having an average age of 24 years and 287 days.

With a fresh batch of young players set to be involved this term, their squad appears to be getting even younger – but Pochettino has no fears about a lack of experience in his group.

“Today the balance I think is perfect,” he said. “If we add some more players with experience of the Premier League, maybe, then I think it’s perfect.

“We have data and our experience after last season. I think we have a very good squad, a very good [age] balance, only now we need time to show it and deliver our football.

“It’s our philosophy. The club decide our philosophy and I am part of it and we share the same philosophy. I’m very happy and I think this is a different way than [other clubs] do things.

“I think this is an exciting time for us. We have the construction ahead to build the new stadium, and to settle a lot of young players for the future will be important.

“Our dream is for these types of players, the young players, maybe in the future when we arrive at the new stadium to try to achieve something important for the club.

“That is what happened at Barcelona when players like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and company arrived to play in the first team and won all the titles.

“I think for our supporters they are happy for someone like Harry Kane to represent our identity, and the people like that. We need to keep our identity. Harry has shown his quality for a long time and deserves to play. I enjoy it and the club enjoy young players doing well.”

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs

I think it would do some people on here good to have a read of this:

http://www.theguardian.com/football...ot-be-so-quick-to-abuse-and-demonise-managers

Particularly this section.

During their tenures, almost all will have been judged by people who do not know them, possess little more than a half-baked notion what their multilayered briefs entail and are indifferent to the personal or professional circumstances in which they are expected to carry out their duties. We have all been guilty of drawing conclusions about others without walking a mile in their shoes but football fans can be viciously impatient and judgmental when it comes to work appraisals.

Last edited:
I love that there is a philosophy and that there seems to be an understanding throughout the whole club that its the only way forward, i like the fact that Poch doesnt complain in the press and tries to be positive under sometimes difficult circumstances. I'm a little worried that the way he wants us to play seems to take a lot of time to implement and that there is very little progress to be seen. Maybe we are at our top and i'm expecting too much, maybe his style of play just isnt what i like to see - both are possible. But in the end the general quality of our play hasnt convinced me.

I know playing the Tottenham way is a bit of a legend but the one thing i miss the most is the use of wingers and width, if Rose and Walker are kept quiet we seem to be running out of ideas. There have been very little game changing tactical interventions from him and that's something you should be able to expect from a coach who obv has a very good knowledge of how the game works.

Either way, this is not calling for his head or anything, we should be mad to not give him at least another year with a team that he has helped build, a team that he has prepared all summer. I want to see a team with an over my dead body mentality combined with creative offensive movements. The moon on a stick innit.

And above all i prefer a team of youngsters evolving together over a team that has been bought together by a manager who just unlocked the unlimited funds cheat on FM.

I'm happy with the philosophy we have chosen. I'll be even happier if we stick with it for more than 2 or 3 seasons. A lack of identity, in the front offices, have been killing this club in recent years.

Good read.
The footage that shows Spurs are now executing Pochettino's midfield press
http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...r-tactical-analysis-pochettino-press-midfield

MaleImmaterialBlackpanther.gif

"The key to this action working is how a secondary player, in this case Nacer Chadli, applies pressure to the ball while simultaneously cutting off a passing lane."

That's actually really interesting. I didn't notice that. It's something that MS talked about a few months ago, how Poch would teach people how to positive their body and cut off a passing lane. Not only that, but look at Bentaleb rush up to block off the pass to the side of Mata too. All his passing options are blocked off, most he can do is pass it out for a throw in.

The system looks a lot better than last year, and it's only the first game of the season. Hopefully they can keep that up, if so it's very impressive.

And lost without scoring. A team runs a lot more without the ball, so how could this have happened in a game some say we dominated? Surely it's not all down to running about, admirable though it is, if we had passed the ball better we might not have had to do so much running.

Last edited:
And lost without scoring. A team runs a lot more without the ball, so how could this have happened in a game some say we dominated? Surely is not all down to running about, admirable though it is, if we had passed the ball better we might not have had to do so much running.

Was just about to post something like that.

Lauding chasing shadows for 65 minutes..

And lost without scoring. A team runs a lot more without the ball, so how could this have happened in a game some say we dominated? Surely it's not all down to running about, admirable though it is, if we had passed the ball better we might not have had to do so much running.

Even if we were 3-0 up we would still have 'run a lot'. The point of the running wasn't in desperation to try and score, but most of it was very well coached pressing. Read the article posted on the previous page, there's a lot to learn and appreciate.

If at 1-0 down, the point of all our running was not to try and score, what on earth were we doing?

Trying to preserve a 1-0 defeat by pressing the team in possession that were not even coming at us, and were happy to sit there with the ball.

I remember a certain manager getting slated for "run around a bit" despite it getting us into the CL.

Last edited:
Even if we were 3-0 up we would still have 'run a lot'. The point of the running wasn't in desperation to try and score, but most of it was very well coached pressing. Read the article posted on the previous page, there's a lot to learn and appreciate.
I maintain that had we been 3-0 up we would have done less running. The ball moves faster than the man - it always has - this is a basic football principle. I'm not against pressing, I understand that a team has to be extremely fit to do it well, but if all we can take out of that game is that we ran more than any team in the league, I'm a bit sad. We are starting to look like a set of fans that would applaud the kit man's 'tache. I'm not going off the deep end, but no one else would give that stat any credence, and most would laugh at us for doing so.

Back
Top Bottom