Manchester City v. Tottenham Hotspur - Who cares?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their most crushing result. Get it right, old boy. They won on the night 4-3.

Yes, I stand by that. We're not talking about the fans here, we're talking about the team, right?
A team that's just been knocked out of the most illustrious competition in world club football in the cruelest, most dramatic of circumstances ever witnessed on a football pitch at this level.

Their bollocks are on on the floor. There's no way we should be giving them a helping hand up by treating this game as a free hit.
Therefore they were defeated.
We will not win this if we try to go toe to toe with them.
We need to be pragmatic and put out a solid wall and frustrate and niggle them.
If I was Guardiola I'd start Sane and Sterling as they are panic inducers and our best defence is to double up with all the defenders we can put out.
It's not small time to use the resources at your disposal in the most effective manner.
I know it's what lesser teams do to us all the time, but we are on the ropes injury wise, so let them punch away until they make mistakes and then all we need is one good opportunity, a la Dortmund away and we can piss on their chips one more time.

If we defend well then the least we can get away with would be a point

I think City will be out for blood and our best hope is to nullify them with a similar tactic to Wednesday when we went to two blocks of 4 in a 4-4 -1-1 after the initial goal rush. If we play with a 5 at the back perhaps even a flat back 5 in a 5-4-1 without the ball. Let us keep our full backs on a leash for once so as not to gift Sterling and Sane the freedom of our wings (guessing they are both selected). We know their threat is in wide areas so having midfield support to always double up on their wide men is vital.

I know this sounds rather negative but we are playing for a result here and we can hurt them on the break. We really need to cut out the sloppy passing. Time and time again on Wednesday we gave the ball back to cheaply with a bad pass. Danny Rose in particular. Though I expect Davies will be in today. Having Davies back there would give us a better defensive shape I feel for today.

Let's frustrate the hell out of them. I know it won't be easy. They are a great team playing at home and going there even with our strongest 11 would still be tough. I just think if we get the tactics right from the start we could really give ourselves a much better chance.

If we play the diamond we're dead.

Come on you Spurs!

This game is as much about the mental character of the players we bring in.

Fight for every ball and be brave when we have the ball.

A draw would be a great result.

A win an unbelievable one.

Either way we are not going up there with the mindset to lose I’m sure.

Emotionally I'm not ready for another game after Wednesday night. The league feels a bit anticlimactic now and while obviously I would prefer Spurs to win, the thought of Liverpool winning the title, with the gfs family all being Liverpool fans, is not worth thinking about. I also believe we should have enough to beat WHU, Brighton, Bournemouth and Everton, with 3 of those at home.

Regardless of what I want or don't want I can't help but feel a City side that can bring in the likes of Mahrez, Sane, Stones and Jesus, all rested, is going to have far too much for us given our injury woes and lack of squad depth.

Best post this morning thus far on this game.

Very pragmatic but yes tend to agree.

The only caveat is will those players feel snubbed by non inclusion on Wednesday and what impact on them?

I think City will be out for blood and our best hope is to nullify them with a similar tactic to Wednesday when we went to two blocks of 4 in a 4-4 -1-1 after the initial goal rush. If we play with a 5 at the back perhaps even a flat back 5 in a 5-4-1 without the ball. Let us keep our full backs on a leash for once so as not to gift Sterling and Sane the freedom of our wings (guessing they are both selected). We know their threat is in wide areas so having midfield support to always double up on their wide men is vital.

I know this sounds rather negative but we are playing for a result here and we can hurt them on the break. We really need to cut out the sloppy passing. Time and time again on Wednesday we gave the ball back to cheaply with a bad pass. Danny Rose in particular. Though I expect Davies will be in today. Having Davies back there would give us a better defensive shape I feel for today.

Let's frustrate the hell out of them. I know it won't be easy. They are a great team playing at home and going there even with our strongest 11 would still be tough. I just think if we get the tactics right from the start we could really give ourselves a much better chance.

If we play the diamond we're dead.

Come on you Spurs!
Agree no diamonds today please! Let’s burnley the fuck out of them. Frustrate them and keep a clean sheet for the first 45, then nick something on the break.

Nobody expects us to go Anti football, but that’s what we must do today with the players at our disposal.

Totti, I like you. You're a very good poster but I really hope this comes back to bite you hard on the arse!! 😣
I mean he's just being realistic with our current line up. We had 0 signings and Kane/Winks/Sissoko are out. As much as we all want some miracles to happen, it would be asking too much from our players/coach if we start bashing them to a poor result. This is a massive game for the city so they will throw everything at us

No matter who plays if we get the tactics right you can still pick up a result.

Huddersfield did it last season at their place. I'm. Hoping we have a bit endeavor and play to get a goal on the counter. We saw on Wednesday that their defence is vulnerable.

Personally I also think we have an aerial advantage over them, so long as Eriksen doesn't take our set pieces we can score from this route too.

I mean he's just being realistic with our current line up. We had 0 signings and Kane/Winks/Sissoko are out. As much as we all want some miracles to happen, it would be asking too much from our players/coach if we start bashing them to a poor result. This is a massive game for the city so they will throw everything at us
Did you expect us to get through against them in the CL?

Did you expect us to get through against them in the CL?
I put all my heart on cheering for Spurs regardless of the result. I don't predict outcomes but our availability was looking better before. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it has been very draining to watch us play the same club 3 times in one week.

I've been thinking about this all week, and I still don't know.

Do we go all out and play the "first team" risking burn out, injuries etc, after the huge effort put in mid-week, especially as we are AGAIN down to the bare bones in midfield and maybe get a win or a point.

Or do we rest players for the, arguably, most important run in we've had in modern times, considering we are in the CL semi-finals.

Whichever option Poch chooses I won't knock him even if he plays the kids and we get beat 4-0.

Pep would be keen to get his revenge me thinks.

We're very depleted at the mo but it would be most amusing if we get something from this game and dent their Premier League title hopes!

I get that but the downside being that it helps the Dippers but we have to worry about ourselves

I hope Coco is fit

I've been thinking about this all week, and I still don't know.

Do we go all out and play the "first team" risking burn out, injuries etc, after the huge effort put in mid-week, especially as we are AGAIN down to the bare bones in midfield and maybe get a win or a point.

Or do we rest players for the, arguably, most important run in we've had in modern times, considering we are in the CL semi-finals.

Whichever option Poch chooses I won't knock him even if he plays the kids and we get beat 4-0.
You make a very good point. We are in the champions league semi finals. It has to have a bearing on Poch's thoughts regarding the run in.

It will most definitely have some impact on his team selections. It has to.

Prediction:

Lloris
KWP Foyth Sanchez Jan Davies
Wanyama Alli
Moura Eriksen Lamela
Llorente

Rests for Son, Trippier, Toby and Rose

Back
Top Bottom