Man City Vs Tottenham - Sat 17th August 2019.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This would be the team to try and counter their pressure and possession. No way Lo Celso starts though. Probably Winks.

People have said it before but parking the bus against City doesn't work they will break you down eventually. I expect them to overload the flanks with passing triangles to try and catch out our full backs, so we will need a lot of defensive support from the likes of Lamela/Lucas/Eriksen on the edges and trust Winks/Ndombele to clog the middle of the pitch.

We've had decent performances against them lately and we have key players out, but hopefully Poch has learned alot from the matches against City last year as well as this past weekend's game.

Excellent post, sir.

I think 4-3-3 would be good here. Sissoko as the runner, Ndombele the enforcer and Winks to get the ball down and play it about. Have Eriksen and Lucas behind Kane.

No diamond bullshit. Fullbacks need to be switched on and midfield need to be up for a battle.

Lloris
KWP - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Winks - Ndombele
Sissoko
Eriksen - Lucas
Kane​

Eriksen needs to start regardless. Gutted we don't have Alli and Lo Celso to start or come from the bench and Son's suspension is bad timing as well. At least Kane looks like he is returning to form and we all know that he can score in any game vs any opponent..

My honest view is that our full squad, fit and firing would give City problems.

With our suspensions, injuries and contractual issues I think we are at a natural disadvantage.

Cram the midfield, get Sissoko near Sterling, and see how we go.

Good to get this out of the way early.

Cramming the midfield is what everyone does against City. And they still cut teams open as easy as. Getting Sissoko, or anyone, close to Sterling is the easy bit. It's keeping up with the runs off the ball, and more importantly being smart in when to hand over marking, to avoid letting them create overloads and finding the man who's run free.

We shouldn't set up to contain them. They'll kill us no matter, if we do that. We should set up a team with the goal of being able to have as much possession as possible. That wouldn't work for Brighton, but we should have enough quality to have the self-confidence to take that approach.

Ndombele was man of the match for Lyon away to City in CL. They won 2-0. I don’t think he’s 100% yet but might cause them a problem. I think we have a chance with Stones at the back. Just need a way to get at them. Not easy though.

Lamela and Sissoko were depressing to watch on Saturday but we need them in this game, they have to start.

Agreed - I think we'll see the same starting lineup as Villa but with Lamela and Lucas playing as true wingers.

Their work-rate will help Rose and KWP defensively.

...the utility of Winks and KWP will be limited, as we won't see much space or time with the ball....

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Sissoko - Ndombele
Lucas - Eriksen - Lamela
Kane

COYS

The ONE thing I really hate going in to these games (specific City), is watching Hugo trying to play way out of trouble. Ffs just loft the ball once in a while.

Yeah - I don't mind us doing it in games like Villa but against City and Liverpool just knock it long to the channels where Kane should situate himself whenever Lloris has the ball.

If it comes back towards our goal? Let our midfield or defenders then deal with it appropriately but playing our way out against a supreme team like City just invites trouble.

I can understand WHY Poch wants us to do it, if we can play out successfully, we open up space behind the pressing pack and I am sure Poch believes our players are good enough to do it but it's high risk and no need when knocking it long is just a safer bet.

The ONE thing I really hate going in to these games (specific City), is watching Hugo trying to play way out of trouble. Ffs just loft the ball once in a while.
There's also this stupid new goal kick rule whereby you can pass to a full back in the area. We looked like we were keen on that in a couple of the preseason games, but against someone like City you can see it meaning a defender under real pressure 7 yards from goal as opposed to 15 yards

Back
Top Bottom