Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But the 90s were shit. I was there at games. I lived with a Man U fan at Uni. It was awful. It was a time where I thought we'd had a good season if we finished it with a positive goal difference, it was so shit!

You mention those semis but we've been in enough of them and finals in the last decade to have won all the trophies in this country and Europe. We've challenged for the league, we were nowhere near that once Gazza and Lineker left in the 90s. Our best team in the rest of the decade under Francis finished 8th or thereabouts.

Sure we haven't won as many trophies as we would have liked but we have been in the conversation more than between 1991 and 2000. If you cant see that we are a vastly different better club now than then then I don't know what to say. Look at the final league positions of a start. I'm all for bashing ENIC and the wrong decisions they have made but you're missing out a lot of history here. Plus of course in the 90s there were no financially doped clubs to deal with. Imagine if neither of those had been about the last 20 ears, we'd have won a fuck of a load more I am certain of it.
Word. The 90s were, for the most part, fucking awful.

And yet every season, I used to think we had a chance of winning a cup.
And twice that proved right.
Me too and, to be honest, when we're in them, I still do. They're knockout competitions so anything can happen.

The difference is that the PL feels much tougher now than back then, at least to me. Several of our squads from the 90s would have been relegated if they were playing today. They'd have even had trouble playing championship sides like boro.

No...hang on...

And yet every season, I used to think we had a chance of winning a cup.
And twice that proved right.

Well it was the 90s…….

90s-rave-6-1444216088-view-1-539x400.jpg

Everyone was wasted all the time on Thai weed, skunk and ecstasy.

Anything could have happened on that football pitch.

Me too and, to be honest, when we're in them, I still do. They're knockout competitions so anything can happen.

The difference is that the PL feels much tougher now than back then, at least to me. Several of our squads from the 90s would have been relegated if they were playing today. They'd have even had trouble playing championship sides like boro.

No...hang on...
I know you're joking but that last bit sort of sums up why we're not that much better off that we were.
I personally have lost the hope now. I think if we won a cup, it would take days to sink in now.

I know you're joking but that last bit sort of sums up why we're not that much better off that we were.
I personally have lost the hope now. I think if we won a cup, it would take days to sink in now.
I get you. There is stuff to be negative about and it does all take its toll.

But come June, when Levy and ENIC have their long-overdue personality transplants and awaken as generous cyborg-tigers, ravenous for that PL trophy, then all will be forgiven and Spurs will be mighty once again. Huzzah.

Word. The 90s were, for the most part, fucking awful.
It’s amazing the amount of 90s revisionism that goes on here.

I watched the team through the 70s including our relegation and then those Cup glory years in the 80s where we mounted at least one great challenge for the title and more (‘The Clive Allen Year’).

The 90s were an absolute dollop of shit to what came before.
Repeat: The 90s were an absolute dollop of shit to what came before.

Yeah, we had some decent players. Klinsmann came back — to save us from relegation.
As importantly, this is the decade when the game went truly global, the revenue differences piled up and WE FELL MASSIVELY BEHIND. The differences between the 50s and 60s were small, 60s and 70s the same but the difference between 1989 and 1999 was huge and we couldn’t have picked a worse time to be decidedly mediocre.

Last edited:
It’s amazing the amount of 90s revisionism that goes on here.

I watched the team through the 70s including our relegation and then those Cup glory years in the 80s where we mounted at least one great challenge for the title and more (‘The Clive Allen Year’).

The 90s were an absolute dollop of shit to what came before.
Repeat: The 90s were an absolute dollop of shit to what came before.

Yeah, we had some decent players. Klinsmann came back — to save us from relegation.
As importantly, this is the decade when the game went truly global, the revenue differences piled up and WE FELL MASSIVELY BEHIND. The differences between the 50s and 60s were small, 60s and 70s the same but the difference between 1989 and 1999 was huge and we couldn’t have picked a worse time to be decidedly mediocre.

And yet....

And back then, we used to sign proper, proven players.
Klinsman, Sheringham. Ferdinand, Ginola, Poyet, etc etc. Not just 21 year olds with "potential" to increase their value.

We weren't even mid table.
But everyone's favourite comedy villain went out and got Klinsmann, Poescu and Dumitrescu in one summer. Those were ambitious signings at the time.
The season before, we had only survived relegation by winning 2-0 away to Oldham on a bog of a pitch in the final week of the league.

In the same pre-season as signing Klinsmann we had been docked 12 points and banned from the FA cup for financial irregularities.

In such adversity those signings were up there with the 78 Villa and Ardiles audacious coup.

Back
Top Bottom