Let's talk tactics

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What it comes down to is we need a third capable winger. Sign Hoillet, Afellay, Adam Johnson or Moses and we don't have these problems.

I love to read a lot tactical stuff so long as it's backed up with examples and pictures and clips of what is being talked about, without them they can be a fucking tedious and arduous to get through. Ultimately end up falling asleep halfway through.

Liverpool's philosophy under Klopp is attack, attack, attack and out score your opponents because they cant defend?
Document1.jpg

Liverpool's philosophy under Klopp is attack, attack, attack and out score your opponents because they cant defend?
Document1.jpg
I get the impression that most of their goals conceded have been from individual mistakes rather than tactical errors as such. Although I suppose that putting players in the position to make mistakes in the first place could be considered a tactical error.

Anyone else think that the tactics on the first page of this thread describe how we might have set out if LVG had taken over instead of Poch (with slightly different personnel obviously)?

I get the impression that most of their goals conceded have been from individual mistakes rather than tactical errors as such. Although I suppose that putting players in the position to make mistakes in the first place could be considered a tactical error.

Anyone else think that the tactics on the first page of this thread describe how we might have set out if LVG had taken over instead of Poch (with slightly different personnel obviously)?
There is no doubt that Liverpool score lots of goals and the fall out is, they concede - they hope they can out score teams. i feel we have the balance just right at the moment.

I read the article-what a long read. I'm totally confused . Apparently we all play the high line but differently.
I feel all coaches play, pushing on, to confront the opposition in which ever way they set up. Its flexible and not unique to any coach or team. I can remember seeing Kane going wide in some games and running down the centre in others. Some coaches may have developed aspects of it but we all tap into whatever way is necessary. it suggested JM played it-did he? i thought he play possession football and very defensive.

Is it one up front or two?

The so called Mourinho style seems ordinary to me, nothing special. A typical counter attack tactic.
Basically, yeah. His novelty was getting his teams to be that intense and focused. Also, playing a three man midfield when most of the competition were still playing 4-4-2 helped.

But that was 12 years ago. A whole lot of smart football has happened since then.

requires really talented teams to pull off properly. Teams which haven't got that talent are sort of chasing the pressing style, but in a more basic way.
For me, thats the gist of it. To apply it effectively you need the better player. Saying that, I guess its the same for any style you play.

This is the full article from earlier: How Cruyff Invented Modern Football | 433 NEWS

Pressing requires better players, or at least more technical players than the opposition, because regardless of how fit they are, you can not keep it up indefinitely, Essentially the amount of pressing you have to do is in direct proportion to the amount of possession you have during a game. So a crap team that cannot hold on to the ball will not be able to sustain their pressing if they are doing it 70% of the game. Whereas Barca, as good as they are at it, only has to do it in smaller spurts as they have the ball the vast majority of the time.

So the true press is the natural result of playing real attacking total football. The team attacks together pressing into the final third holding the ball, probing and attacking. Naturally when you lose possession you are almost forced to press as the logical method of defending, because all of your players are high up the pitch contributing to the attack. This is also why Spurs consistently leads the league in yellow cards in the opponents half, we can't let them break, our only choice is to press or foul! But it all originates from the ambition and belief to play the game the right way, attack, be the aggressor, be superior, play total football and truly to dare is to do!

This also speaks to why I would refuse to call Atletico, who occasionally ventures into the attacking third to press, or Mourinho teams or any of these other counterattacking teams "pressing teams" because a true pressing team, like Spurs, wants to play the game, or as much of it as possible in the attacking third. That is an attacking team, that is a pressing team.

So looking at the little wrinkles and differences in how the real football clubs like Dortmund, Barca and Spurs press is useful and illuminating. Looking at how the small minded defensive clubs like Jose's Manchester United, Real Madrid and Atletico "press" is wasteful.

It gives a new perspective on AVB's failed high-line.

I remember a lot of people's stubborn insistence at the time that the high-line doesn't work in England or against English teams, despite repeated examples of English teams being humbled by the high-line in European competition or international play.

I like to think that there is an alternate universe where AVB was a little more flexible with his ethos and understanding of the limitations of the players at his disposal, was better supported by his chairman in the transfer market and didn't rise to the bait that the press handed him week in week out.

Who knows what could have happened.

Worthwhile article on Pochettino's tactics and what style of football he prefers. I think the charge that he is much like Simeone/AVB is probably fair, and those complaining we aren't as traditionally attacking as we'd like Spurs to be may have a point. This is effective football, clearly, but is it football the way we want? The Rolling Stones may have a song about this and Levy may have made a choice using the same logic:
Tactics Tuesday: Why are Spurs struggling this season?

Back
Top Bottom