LB Situation

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My priority list:
1. Striker(s)
2. A proper winger
3. Creative midfielder
4. Cover for Sandro, then Parker can be let go.
5. LB
6. RB

The thing we struggle with the most is breaking down compact teams. A new LB will not solve that problem. However a decent striker/winger/playmaker might.

Probably mentioned in the match thread which I haven't bothered to trawl through yet, but I don't understand the constant sub of Naughton off, BAE on. I know we don't have many options on the bench attacking wise with a couple of injuries but is this really necessary?

AVB played Naughton to counter McManaman coming inside I think. This obviously failed as he scored. But as soon as Mcmanaman was subbed off, so was Naughton.

BAE hasn't been as good as he was last season, or the season before that. But in those two seasons, he was playing week-in, week-out and had the confidence of the manager. He still done some pretty stupid things, like he has done this season, but he was still generally a consistent performer. I think he's had his time and we need to improve, but it isn't the first priority. If we signed 5/6 new players for our first XI then it could be another slow start and it could cost us again next season.

BAE has already been offered to another club and they have agreed the price and personal terms with the player. Now it is in his court.

Chances are he will be playing CL football next year and we wont, yet people think hes not good enough for us....odd eh?

It seems that many aren't that worried about our left-back situation - but I most certainly am. Our full-backs have been dreadful this season and is the main reason we haven't been able to keep clean sheets consistently, they are undoubtedly our weak links after our strikers. Now, I think that right-back is a simple matter of Walker finding his feet again and playing for his position more often which I think he has done more since March. With regards to our left-backs, I think BAE needs to go. He's not defensively sound enough and loses focus and concentration too easily. He is the weakest link in our defensive unit. I haven't seen him much, but apparently Rose has been playing well for Sunderland this season and if AVB thinks he's good enough to start with Fryers in the squad behind him then I'm all for it. But perhaps if we could sell BAE and Rose for a combined £15 million+ and spend that money on a QUALITY left-back then that would have a great effect on our back four IMO.

Some are suggesting that it's 'striker or left-back' which isn't the case at all. It all depends on outgoings, priorities, availability of players etc. For me, we need to buy a striker as our absolute priority and if that means selling BAE and playing Rose instead of him to provide a bit more transfer money then I'll be fully behind it and think it would be a great bit of business.

Chances are he will be playing CL football next year and we wont, yet people think hes not good enough for us....odd eh?
Loose statement. You can play for the Danish champions who would probably have a worse squad than the 4th best team in England and still be playing in the Champions League. We need to think about our domestic players first and foremost as opposed to the foreign teams...

Milan? Inter?

btw,
Benoit Assou-Ekotto spoke of his pride after joining the 200 club at Spurs.
The full-back clocked up his 200th appearance in all competitions for us in Sunday's memorable 3-1 win against Manchester City at the Lane.
Benoit joined us from Ligue 1 side RC Lens in June, 2006 and has been a regular feature in the team since the 2008-09 campaign.
"Six years ago I didn’t think I would play 200 games for this club, now the next target is to make it to 300 games!" said Benoit.
:levywhoa:

I think we can all agree that the modern wing back is as much about defending as it is attacking. So I think the stat bellow should prove that we MUST sort out the LB role as a matter of URGENCY, I make it our number one priority. Yes we need to sort out striker situation, yes we need a creative midfileder but I feel we must build from the back before we address other positions.

If the stat bellow doesn't prove it perhaps the fact that we have only kept 2 clean sheets this year does! I have watched team after team attack this possition game after game. Resulting in goals against and no chances created up front. Either way, we leak to many goals and we don't score enough which can be addressed by the LB. I would argue we would be in clear 3rd pushing for 2nd if we had an LB as good as Mr Walker.......EVEN with our out of form strikers!

Rose is 22yrs and shortlisted for Sunderlands player of the year, that's good enough for me. We need another LB to compete for the position, if this is BAE then so be it, but need 2 competing for possition. The point to my comment is not who should play here but how important this position is in context to other positions namely striker, creative midfield.

<script type="text/javascript" id="embedSquawka" src="http://www.squawka.com/shared/tottenham-hotspur-stats/825"></script>

Few better than BAE in the league. LB is a tough position to fill and I think a few teams would be sniffing around if BAE was available.

Naughton isn't the answer. Baines is a great player, but like others have said, we've limited resources and I wouldn't break the bank to get him.

Defenders are always going to make mistakes. By there nature you tend to remember these more than you remember a striker missing a shot or a midfielder playing a shit through ball.

BAE's link up play with Bale was half the reason for the latters emergence a couple of years back.0

He ain't perfect but short of a hidden talent somewhere in a foreign league I'm not sure who we could get for a reasonable fee?

Baines will surely be £10-12M?

Rather not see the club spend a ton at LB so Baines not ideal for me

What about just bringing Rose back and rotate him and BAE? That would be around 25 games a piece on average and the in-form LB getting a bit more

Both are solid. Both can get it done.

You're right. When you look at that it is so blindingly obvious why the LB is key!

Look at those percentages... LOOK AT THEM!

There was a nice graphic that worked in preview..........

Based on 43 games we have created 0 ZERO chances from wide left.
a total of 3.5% of our chances have been created from inside left.

Compare that to:
50.1% of our chances inside right
36.3% wide right
:thumbup:

There was a nice graphic that worked in preview..........

Based on 43 games we have created 0 ZERO chances from wide left.
a total of 3.5% of our chances have been created from inside left.

Compare that to:
50.1% of our chances inside right
36.3% wide right
:thumbup:
wouldn't this be linked to Bale moving inside and having no designated left-sided player though?

Back
Top Bottom