Kevin Wimmer

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Talked with him yesterday during the training session ahead of the international games.

He said that he really enjoys London, the club, the training, the players and the coaching staff at the club, but he is desperate for more game time. He talked with Poch about his chances in the future and said he is planning with him in the long term, Poch wants to have him in the squad as we will be playing in our new stadium.

He said that he is considering alot of things with his agent right now... knows if there are no injuries to our first team players, he barely gets any time to play in the PL. He has been honest, he knows his last performances haven't been the best, but it's difficult for a defender to play well when only given occasional games. At last he mentioned that Hoffenheim have contacted his agent recently - they would probably want him in the summer.

Just a little summary of him:

Major weaknesses:
- Concentration can be an issue

Marking: he does have a tendency to switch off at times. In these moments, he can appear unsure of who he should be covering.

Heading:
Upon taking charge, Stoger noted that Wimmer was struggling to make best use of his height when competing for the ball in the air. There are, though, still occasions when he is beaten to the ball when he looks favourite to win it, and this is something he will need to continue focusing on.

Close control: his control can be a little loose under pressure, as seen in the defeats away to Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen.

Positioning: there are times when he appears to lose concentration and simply drift about the area.

Finishing: He has taken just one shot on goal so far this season, which suggests that he is not a particular threat from either open play or set-pieces.

What the experts say:

Vienna-based journalist Fabian Zerche: "Wimmer is still raw and has some errors in his game.
Conclusion:

:paulinhobored::avbshock: #SPURSY

Time for a report about him:

Kevin Wimmer is the third of the current central defending talents in Austria (behind Dragovic and Hinteregger). He will certainly be capped more often after this transfer, since Hinteregger will stay in Austria for atleast another season - I hope to see him start against Russia away. Very big game.

He was brought to Köln as an very average talent and had a terrible first season. It is very hard for Austrian players to settle in the Bundesliga/2. Bundesliga, the Germans are used to look down on the players from Austria. He certainly worked on himself, and had two very strong seasons after that.

I personally think, that Wimmer can be one of our best transfers. There aren't many players like him. He's young, strong in the air, good on the ball, can play the opening pass, left-footed and not the slowest. Got him for 7 million euros. If he'd be playing in Spain or here in the Premier League, he'd cost more than double that. Of course, this does not guarantee that he will be the fantastic defender we all are wishing for. But there aren't too many defenders which fit our profile as much as he does.

He is an intelligent defender. The first thing Stöger (coach of Köln) had to do was to settle the defence. They used to be roll over with 5 or 6-0 in the Bundesliga before. Under Stöger, defensive play was the most important aspect. Every player (also the forwards) were learned to defend properly, to defend like a team. Wimmer, Maroh and Horn were organizing the team from the back. They were a big part in their sucessful season and were also their highest rated players among fans.

He didn't have a single individual error this season (apart from a red card in the 90th minute). The only real negative about him is that he doesn't really contribute to offensive play. Rarily scores goals, avoids forward runs and also prefers to stay back at corners. Very old-school defender.

Exciting prospect. Can't wait to see him play in England.

Saw this feedback on Wimmer from his match today vs Wolfsburg ...

i) Very comfortable & assured in passing.
ii) In possession he looks so good on the ball. Left footed but can also pass very crisply with right foot too. Very Vertongehn-esque.
iii) Made one very good interception to start a counter
iv) Cut out atleast 2 good crosses from De Bruyne & Perisic - just being in correct positions
v) Defended well & made 3 headers out to corner - no nonsense defending
vi) Couple of good long balls to wing
vii) Made a solo bursting run from back all the way to Wolfsburg box skipping past players & took a shot at keeper with weaker right foot.

All in all, he is just quality. He looks the standout player in FC Koln.
Playing a good game against a good Wolfsburg attack.

If this is anything to go by, we got a big steal. Now I know why FC Koln, have kept 12 cleansheets in 31 games with Wimmer this season - their first season after promotion. Vertonghen starting place will be under threat by him - thats guaranteed.
:adethumbup:

I just want to let myself get all excited again, but the last time we signed a promising centre back who made attacking runs I showed my father the youtube compilation of Chriches saying we'd signed an absolute gem.. I will never live that down

Had a little look at Kevin's transfermarkt page to see what has happened to him. And it looks like it is finally looking up for him a bit.

He's currently on loan at Mouscron from Stoke. Mouscron are currently 10th in the Belgian top flight and apart from some games in late December and in January Kevin has been a given in their backline.

A step down in league but a step up for him personally because god knows the boy deserves to play.

The sort of gamble we have built our recent success on.

15752b2c54e8b4dc.jpg

As an Austrian, I'm not a regular user of this forum, but I definitely support Tottenham in the Premier League. I am just a little concerned about Wimmer's career, so I just wanted to know from some long-time supporters why he doesn't even have a place on the bench? I thought he did very well last season when he had to replace Vertonghen, and I am convinced he would not disappoint when he gets a chance. What do you think? Will we see more from Wimmer this season or is he going to stay Centre Back no. 4?

As an American I have lurked around this forum for a long time and never posted. I have supported Spurs for years, but as an American I am as interested in Cameron Carter-Vickers as you are in Wimmer from an international standpoint.

I thought Wimmer was fantastic when Jan went down last season and was as surprised as anyone that CCV seems to be picked ahead of him on the bench so far. I would say in both cases though, that there should be plenty of games as we progress is cup competitions, Europe and the league. My sense is that Wimmer will have his chances through injury or squad rotation and that when he gets on he will look at least as good as last season.

Both Wimmer and CCV just happen to be behind the best center-back pairing in the league by a wide margin and one of the best in the world right now. Waiting your turn is just part of being at a massive champions league club like Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern... or Tottenham. :pochsmirk:

Also its quite pertinent to remember that pre season is about building fitness and sharpness so judging performances is pretty harsh IMHO. in the old days we would normally be playing Barnet and the like before the final glamour tie at home with no camera's - its the ££ that means we are selling tickets and its on TV so we tend to forget that its just training really.

Back
Top Bottom